The blind fire rule, Good or bad ?

wildstallion

I went to a Chatham skirmish yesterday had a great laugh btw, but there is one thing Im not sure I agree with. No blind firing round corners, personally I have a gas TMP and a shed load of mags a gun like that just begs you to point it round the corner and unleash its compact firepower at the enemy.

I was guilty of breaking that rule yesterday however it was accidental I forgot about it briefly during the action.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for it.

I've been lucky enough not to be on the receiving end, but I've seen the results: full auto from an upgraded gun into someone's face. Also a Moscart into someone's leg, again at zero range.

My TMP fires at 297fps on Abbey Ultra. I certainly wouldn't like to be on the receiving end at very close range..

I have to admit I did it once when behind a bush with Ubar at Lightfighter the other week, before I heard the rule. I won't do it again though. I can understand why you'd want to do it, but you risk hitting someone in the face etc, which simply isn't nice.

At a CQB it's just idiotic though. The damage you could inflict by just randomly blind firing around corners could quite easily have serious consequences. I think most sites are justified in throwing off people who do so on a regular basis.

In moderation there is nothing wrong with a little blind firing. A quick burst to keep the opponent's heads down is fine, however if you KNOW your opponent is right around the corner and you empty a mag onto them, that's when perhaps a little bit of restraint needs to be shown.

I do agree with all those who have posted before me, but remember just by shooting someone you could ###### them off and hurt them. Regardless of wether it's blind fire or not.

Edit: Spelling and added other posters.

In moderation there is nothing wrong with a little blind firing. A quick burst to keep the opponent's heads down is fine, however if you KNOW your opponent is right around the corner and you empty a mag onto them, that's when perhaps a little bit of restraint needs to be shown.

I do agree with all those who have posted before me, but remember just by shooting someone you could ###### them off and hurt them. Regardless of wether it's blind fire or not.

Edit: Spelling and added other posters.

You know in future I will abide by the blind fire rule to keep the peace. However when I peek round the corner if I see a guy Im still gonna let him have it before he gets me regardless. In most situations the range difference could negligable, so I still find it a little confusing. Lets be honest no one aims a Mac or similar

To be honest, the bottom line is that, basically, it's cheating.

Airsoft is supposed to be a sport. If you're fighting a war then anything goes but that's not what airsoft is.

When I play laser-tag it's a rule that your sensor must ALWAYS be visible to anybody you're shooting so they get a chance to retaliate. Basically, I figure the same thing should apply in airsoft. If you blind-fire at somebody and miss then you are still safe. If you confront them and miss then they are, at least, in a position to retaliate.

Obviously, there are also perfectly valid safety reasons.

Incidentally, how do you know you've actually hit anybody if you're just hosing around a corner?

I agree with the blind fire rule entirely because of the above mentioned.

On one occasion when I was playing at Firefight, Reading a year or so ago, and for those who remember it was at the old safezone in the shipping container, an incident of blatent blind fire occured and resulted in a near full blown fight. Only because people were held apart no punches connected.

Obviously nobody needs it especially when the people concerned were quite volatile characters.

Surely the problem is not the rule itself then it is the people involved? I repsect all yuor viewpoints and can see how the blind-fire rul can be useful, but if people can take a sport so seriously then there must be something wrong.

I think branding it as cheating is a little on the extreme side. Especially if you play on a site where gun hits mean something (I.E: The hit gun must be put away/counts as a kill) The honest player would admit when their gun was hit and stop firing.

There is one other point to ask though, would firing from behind cover throuhg a tiny slit count as blind firing? In the sense that really the other chap has no chance of hitting you realistically. Not trying to change the world here or anything, just a bit curious to know the exact definition.

I talked to people about this rule before. We have come to the conclusion that the reason the blind firing rule came into existence is for safety. By definition, blind firing is shooting where you can't see. So if one shoots where one cannot see, one cannot know what he shot, or at what range. So therefore, the blindfire rule is in effect so that one knows what one is hitting. So Spike, shooting at someone while seeing them through a tiny slit would not be breaking the blindfiring rule by my translation.

You know airsoft has come a long way when you're going to start needing a Supreme court to translate the rules. We could make a country.

If you fire against a suspected target, or try to reveal one by firing it, its a common tactic. Many opponents reveal them self or return fire after feeling that are being targeted.

Using the large ammo capacity of airsoft guns to spray constantly, regardless of any tactics, seems a bad use and is, at least, unpleasant for most players.

Using the high cpacity like that is not only stupid, it will be a tremendous waste of ammo when it turns out you aren't shooting at anything.

But my point is that there can't be anything wrong with a 3 or 4 round burst round a corner can there? If someone is there then you could argue why should they be able to camp until you put yourself in a position to be shot.

Gene: Your version of the rule makes more sense than (Cynically shortened, don't take offense): "If they can't shoot you but you can shoot them it's cheating".

I wish to object at the insinuation that we users of AK47 hicaps do nothing but spray! Damned armalite nambies... <_>

Just kidding...^_^

I wouldn't personally do what you described Spike on the basis that it simply wouldn't be safe. Okay, so I did the same over a bush, but that was in the middle of no man's land in order to try and make the blasted snipers in a tower by our objective duck long enough for us to try and break free of where we'd been pinned down (was a miserable failure btw). In CQB I wouldn't dream of doing so, for fear of randomly shooting someone around the corner in the face.

I can appreciate the frustration that an individual could hypothetically camp around a corner and abuse this rule, but I'd argue that I can deal with that frustration if it means I don't stand the chance of possibly injuring another player.

What we all really need are those little mirrors on poles that US spec ops sometimes use...^_^

Anyway, that's my tuppence. I'll shut up now.

I agree with it completely, for many of the reasons posted above. It is unsafe to simpl unload with no idea where your shots are going. Also, if you shoot at someone, they should have a chance to shoot back. As for camping, i see it as a perfectly viable tactic. sometimes it can be taken too far, but in most cases i have no problem with it.

alot of the time, people BF by accident tho. I've been on the reciveing end on a 36rnd moscart, fired at 3ft away, after the bloke BF with a mac. The marshalls were none too impressed and sentenced him to a firing squad. After that, moscarts were only allowed for over 5m away. The thing was, it didnt hurt. The amount og gas that followed instantly cooled down all the lil red marks.

I see the views for and against it not happing, but as far as the game is concerned (how i like to play) is not to get hit, i.e. not out, now to me this means by anyway posibile, I would generally not shoot round a corner if it was not needed, to simply save ammo and not give my position away, but if i know someone is there or think thats where they are, then there having it, simple as that really, why on earth should i give them the chance to fireback at me, goes against the point of the game,

its like saying in football to save people taking a dive each time they are tackled, pick the ball up, quick game of rock paper scissors and who wins gets the ball, come on, yes its game,, but everyone on the field knows the rules, should be wearing protection, if their not and choose to wear goggles and a t-shirt then so be it,

May I stress before I reply that I do not agree with people who shove their guns round a corner and simply hold the trigger till they need to reload/wind up?

What about a modification of the rule? If you are going to BF then you must have you gun on semi-auto and may fire no more than 4-5 shots before you must then bring your gun back round the corner? I think that is quite fair, you get the chance to stop anyone trying to come round your side with a reasonable amount of shots. If the gun has to be on semi it will be easier to ell you've hit someone (seeing as there should be less noise, in theory anyway). This way there should be little danger of people getting hit in the face 20 or 30 times, it leaves the way open for a quick evasive manuever so you can dodge the BF's BBs, but it still allows the BFer to try and hit his purseur (sp?).

Apologies for the long winded reply, just thought it was another option we could consider.

I disagree with the blind firing rule. It's a perfectly viable tactic. You're pinned down by a few guys, so, you reach around the corner with you MP5k and let a couple bursts go. They know you're there, know you have an MP5K and know you mean to survive. Blind firing is not only a physical tactic, but a psychological tactic. A few rounds blind fired gets 'em ducking and worrying.

I've been blind fired from 2 feet with an AEG (it was either an MP5K or A3) and just simply took it as what it was, a hit. Granted I wasn't too happy at the four shots to the chest by an AEG from that close, but, it's a fair kill. I think you should never be allowed to blind fire more than your gun's realsteel mag cap, that should be the rule, to make the game more realistic.

Lets just define Blindfiring. My definition is shooting what one cannot see. To expound upon the defintion, let me give an example. Jiminy Cricket, airsoft enthusiast, is moving toward his objective that is just round the corner. He's afraid if he looks around the corner, he'll get hit so he:

A) Sticks the barrel of his gun around the corner and sprays off a few rounds, not looking to see if anyone is there. (My definition of blindfiring)

B) Takes a quick peek around the corner with gun at the ready.

If he chose A, and someone was there, he does not know how close or far they are. until he is hit in the face by the butt of an m16, he had no idea that he hit pinnochio from 10cm in the face.

If he chose B, he safety killed pinnochio. No blood drawn.

Seems logical to me. But one must understand that this rule is for safety, so that no one is getting hit from point blank. it's not to stop those AK owners (just kidding) who go off on 300,000 round bursts, as annoying as that is.

Anyone disagree?

BTW: I'm a M4 owner. ;)

Archived