The blind fire rule, Good or bad ?

wildstallion

The issue isn't so much over whether a person should legitimately get kills by blind firing, however, but more as to whether it should be allowed for safety reasons. I can see and sympathise with people wanting to fire that way - after all nobody wants to get hit out when there's a viable alternative. But is an alternative which jeapordises harming another player really acceptable?

As much as many airsofters would love to think otherwise, airsofting remains an activity done for entertainment first, and military simulation second. If people wish to place being the one to score the hit over the safety of other players, then I think in such away perhaps that in itself explains why skirmish sites view blind firing in such a fashion. :)

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have to fire round a corner, put your head round too,

If you're going to open up on some poor f**k standing a foot away from your gun, you should at least give them a chance to shoot you in the face as repayment...

There is of course no need to blind fire when you know the perosn round the corner will accept a death if you simply poke your gun round the corner (preferably with some of your head) and say "bang" or something like that.

I accept in CQB it may be a little dangerous, but woodland there are times when it is necessary and in all honesty it shouldn't present much of a risk in most woodland games anyway.

Too be honest, I can see I'm blatantly outnumbered here and you all are making valid points for why I am wrong, can we agree to disagree on this?

ok i really dont like blind fire. i acually have a hole in my neck cuase i got a panther arms dpms a-15 cause my freind was afriad of gettin shot and losin so fast. so he blind fired around a corner and i cuaght the bullet in the neck. SO DONT BLIND FIRE ROUND CORNERS!

ok i really dont like blind fire. i acually have a hole in my neck cuase i got a panther arms dpms a-15 cause my freind was afriad of gettin shot and losin so fast. so he blind fired around a corner and i cuaght the bullet in the neck. SO DONT BLIND FIRE ROUND CORNERS!

hole in your neck? Airsoft doesn't cause puncture wounds, especially a springer. I for one am a supporter of the blind fire option, even though I've never resorted to it. It's more realistic and is safe, as long as you're wearing clothes and a mask.

Thing is though, many people don't wear masks. I do in CQB, but not in woodland.

You shouldn't really be forced to wear one for fear of getting 20 shots to the face from a foot away.

'Big Willy', there's no need to compensate for something *cough* by being over-aggressive. You clearly didn't understand my post...

What I meant is that you shouldn't blind fire. If youhave to fire round a corner (possibly at someone), then stick your head round too, so that you get an equal dose. Also, by putting your head round, it probably wouldn't be blind-fire.

At Arnie-Geddon, I did a great deal of firing round corners. It's a common CQB tactic. However, every time I did so, I was sure to look first, then poke the gun round the corner, and fire it WHILE STILL LOOKING.

Full face masks or not, it is still not a good idea to fire blindly round a corner. I say this because everyone has assumed your going to end up shooting someone who's facing towards you. What happens if you shoot someone who is facing AWAY from you, in the back of the head at point blank range? No matter what face protection they are wearing or what hat/helmet they have on, it's still going to hurt like hell if they get shot in the back of the head/neck at short range.

Not every site has full-face.

Just to keep things polite, try this:

I assume that you have a GBB? Put you mask on, and shoot youself in the right goggle at point blank range.

That's around 220fps, on a typical GBB.

Now imagine that you're firing at 328fps, rather than 220.

Now imagine that you fired 5 shots, rather than one.

Now imagine that you didn't quite see what you were doing, and fired point-blank into someone's cheek.

Do I need to go on..? :P

Do you stand up straight when approaching a blind corner, or crouch down a bit?

Now think where you chest would have been if you were standing erect, and where your nose is at the moment..

:unsure:

I've only played on private fields, never on proper skirmish sites, and I'm absolutely thrilled to hear about this rule.

Some of my friends are complete shams at airsoft, and all they seem to do is blindfire. I look forward to pointing and laughing at them when they get chucked off at our first real skirmish :D

Saying that, I'm pretty sure I've poked my MAC 11 out from behind more than a few barrels myself...

This doesn't count with grenades does it?

Gene said: "You know airsoft has come a long way when you're going to start needing a Supreme court to translate the rules. We could make a country."

haha, nice one, centurion, nice one :)

Hairy, what the hell does that post mean? I know its not offensive or anything, its just confused me :(

my idea on the blind firing rule can be summed up fairly succinctly-

the "simply not cricket, donchaknow" argument: essentially, it is unsportsmanlike and pandering to the worst stereotypes of the gung-ho, shoot-first-ask-questions-later grunt we read so much about in the Independent.

However, in woodland I can see how this could be changed- as marlowe mentioned, when you're pinned down by a sniper, being forced by the rules to stick your head up at the same time as you raise your aeg to return fire puts you as an AEGer over a sniper at a distinct diadvantage which the sniper can play on. Also, in prolonged firefights, where two sides are pinning each other down with fire, sometimes it make sense to simply stick your gun over a bush or fence at let rip to allow others on your team to fall back or move forward.

Where the BF rule works is when it applies to situations where you can REASONABLY EXPECT any opponent you hit when BFing to be at close proximity.

Obviously, this does NOT apply to the two situations outlined above.

When you stick an m4 round a corner in CQB, you can reasonably expect any opponent you might hit to be within 10' of you, if not less. Yes, it might be a "realistic" thing to do, but Airsoft is a sport based on honour as well as realism- you honour your hits, rather than wait for a bit of paint to show up on your DPMs. there isn't much honourable about spraying a room at point blank range with an aeg without first checking who's in there and how close they are.

and for those who want to scream realism, fine- imagine it is a real situation, you've just busted into a house and are BFing into every room. in a "real" situation, you could equally end up killing your own side, non-combatants, civilians, surrendering opponents, etc as you would an actual hostile target.

yes, you keep yourself safe, but at what cost? Yes, in a "real" situation, keeping yourself safe is first on your list, but in an "honourable" situation, first on your list is to be the "good guy".

so, in general, certainly for CQB, I think the BF rule is a good one- at the very least, BFing should be limited to pistols only- yes, they shoot out at similar FPS to AEGS, but you get less rounds flying at you.

of course, the other thing is to shout out a warning before entering or attacking a room, thus giving your opponent a sporting chance to back up- yes, this puts you at risk, but as mentioned, this is a sport, not life and death.

One thing I cannot stand, in any sport, are people who take winning so seriously that they forget it is a game, first and foremost. Yes, take your game and your conduct within it seriously, but always remember it is about sportsmanship and honour, not about who walks out at the end of it.

I would want a blanket ban on BFing in CQB with AEGs and fullauto smg/pistols, simply because it isn't the way a sportsman should behave.

However, I understand many would disagree with me. However, think of it in these terms- would you fire an AEG at someone at point blank or very close range if you could see them? Most sensible airsofters would say "no" to this question.

right, so how is it better that you fire an AEG into someone at point blank or very close range when you CANNOT see them, but you can REASONABLY EXPECT them to be at these ranges?

it isn't, is it? In many ways, I would argue, it is worse as it illustrates a certain "screw you" mentality that has no place in a mature sport.

just to add a different angle on this debate, what about contact with other peoples guns?

If youre pinnochio, and mr. cricket pokes the barrel of this m16 around the corner and its about to open fire on you, are you within rights to use your hand to move the barrel away from yourself to avoid a point blank, dangerous shot?

Physical contact with other players would be a very dodgy thing, as it could cause tempers to flare, or even full blown punch ups... but in this case is it the lesser of two evils?

I'd say that if a player is sticking their gun around to blind fire you're well within your right to avert the shot. They're showing a blatant disregard for both a) the site's rules and B) your safety, so I personally in this situation would do so and sort out any fracas as a result afterwards.

Archived