The blind fire rule, Good or bad ?

wildstallion

Now, I dunno if Shadowfox and co think this is a valid tactic but I sure as hell don't think it's a fun way to spend an hour.

I do consider that to be a valid tactic .... just a very pansy, valid tactic.

Having to assault on a bunch of hiding opponents is not much fun, I agree. But, and I'm sure there are people like myself, I find that brainstorming and coming up with plans in order to overcome an obstacle such as that is quite fun in itself. Finding back paths, creating diversions, and being ridiculously stealthy are some of things that I think back on and make me smile. Taking out a group of campers is quite a memory :).

I agree with heavyweps idea of the 45-60 degree, when it comes to agreeing that the opponent should be allowed to see you. When I am unaware if someone is in the next area, I often find myself performing this tactic for, like he said, as much cover as possible. However, I am still for if you know someone is around the corner, put your gun out there and let out a couple of bursts.

I'm not the type of player to "blindfire" an entire clip into a room that I know someone is in. Generally, you have come to know that someone is in the next room from hearing something. For most of us, you can also tell by the volume level of the sound where they generally are. So if my opponent is within a close range, I'm going to pull out my pistol, crouch down, and shoot at a level between 1.5-3 feet from the ground; just in case they are crouched down also. If they're

laying down, well, I can only hope that a ricochet hits them somehow.

Also, out of concern of Arnie's forum rules, the matter concerning guns firing over 328 FPS needs to stop being talked of. Yes, the US has greater "risks of injury" because of our higher skirmish limits. Yes, I fired a BB in my house with my C-15 and it put a 1/3" dent in my wall. No, we're not on a US forum. If we're going to talk about higher FPS, lets not use actual numbers. Use Level 2, 3, or 4 upgrade as an alternative.

All in all, I think it really just depends on the rules set out by the site. A good amount of sites in the US don't allow it, while some do. Is it not the same in the UK? Or wherever else you're from?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having had the pleasure of some-one firing a stock TM P5 into my face, 'blind' from round the corner (Hello Split Lip), I cant say enough against this particular tactic.

It is just basically dangerous. Especially with AEG's running at the 1J limit - point blank really stings in the face, ears, neck, etc.

We're all out to have a good time, shoot our guns, kill the enemy - a nice friendly war in fact. Not sure if it needs to include blind spraying.

Just me opinion mind...

I would love to mount a small video camer to the bottom of my foregrip (work in progress) then maybe bf could be accepted as from a player. But not ever one is going to make a custom sight system for there custom (I am trying any way) OICW.

Edit:

I know my g18c and everyones TMP and mac11s are screeming blind fire. LOL

^^^

* deleted for the same reason as before- unhelpful and uncalled for comments.*

consider this an informal warning banzai. Everyone else on this thread is trying to have a mature discussion about an aspect of airsofting rules. Please do join in when you feel you're ready.

Crazy_Harry

Just ask yourselves this; do you want to emply a mag into someone's face at point blank range?

Personally, not only would I rather not have it happen to me, but I'd rather not do it to someone else either!

For me it just makes safe sense to have a no blind fire rule.

* deleted for the same reason as before- unhelpful and uncalled for comments.*

consider this an informal warning banzai. Everyone else on this thread is trying to have a mature discussion about an aspect of airsofting rules. Please do join in when you feel you're ready.

Crazy_Harry

Oh. So losing a tooth is a good thing..? <_<

If you want to start a UK vs. US thang, then let's get started on the life expectancy of a US driver in London.. assuming that they'll even "dare" to hire a car*

*Long story, meant as no more than a gentle jibe. Anyway, the person I'm referring to was a Texan/Texican

..a colleague who used to work at GM and referred to braking distances as "a Oo-rup-een fiction". Got my revenge, though - booked his flight back on an Airbus :o:rolleyes:

Anyway.

Enough of that - let's try and skip the politics and keep it to airsoft.. hey, how about "what do you consider a controlled burst if you have one free aim at your local voted-in head of country?" Note: limit of three AK hi-caps :rolleyes::lol: )

Shadowfox: Lol. Sorry about that... ^_^

Banzai: Comments like that don't help anyone. If you have a basis for not liking blind-fire, great. But I don't really think belittling injuries received by people as a result of a blind-fir incident is going to achieve anything but rub a number of people up the wrong way. :rolleyes:

What happens when u poke ur gun round the corner while not looking round, and loosing off a fair few rounds while a friendly runs across the corridor, or doorway?

Would any of u class that has cover or blind firing? Because i think its both.

One thing i find funny is how ppl dont wanna get hurt by the blind firing, but in any which way, why did u start playing if ur not gonna get hurt by getting fired at from point blank, it happens all the time. And anyway, blind firing doesnt mean its ALWAYS at point blank range does it, if ur just round the corner and someone actually tatically peeks round the corner, hes gonna loose of a few rounds at you anyway from the sheer fright. As are u when u see him poke his head round the corner. How is that ANY different than blind firing at point blank range. Its still gonna hurt, its more likely gonna be a headshot or a chest shot, as he will be aiming for that area.

So... whats the difference.

hmmmm, personally speaking i`d say blind fire, after all, doesn`t cover fire entail suppressing a known threat, allowing team mates time and space to take up a supporting position or an entry position ? blind firing into a corner or doorway isn`t really the most efficient way of doing that, flashbangs are !!!! mind you don`t know too many sites letting you do a proper breach, bang and clear . . .

also just too point out i view the loss of a tooth as a plus, mainly as this allowed me to do a "gold tooth, mouth upgrade" most useful when using any kind of pimpy chromed gun . . . :D

Lol heavyweps...So tempting to insert some downwiddit streetspeak right there...;)

Dravyn: if you can't see where your weapon is pointing (the most obvious example being around a corner or over a wall you're ducking below'), I'd say you're looking at an example of blind-firing. It can be good intentioned, such as to provide cover, but it remains blind-firing, and IS ALWAYS blindfiring if you're not actually looking where you're firing! :)

And yes, it is reasonable to expect to take a bit of pain if you're into airsofting. But you shouldn't have to tolerate individuals who show no regard for your safety by shooting into a room without considering what they're shooting at. The pain issue isn't what's under discussion here - it's the safety aspect. And there's a slight difference between say, a mild stinging sensation, and having a tooth shot out like heavyweps... ;)

And as to what the difference is between sticking your head out or not when you fire...well, one is doing so as they are being a responsible player and attempting to ensure the safety of others. The other is being a numpty who puts not halving to walk to the spawn point and back or staying in the game over the safety of his fellow players. In my opinion people of the latter description deserve the pleasure having one of those mp5s with a cmag unloaded at their crotch at point blank ;)

I think one of the clear issues here is how seriously airsofters take the prospect of being hit mid-game.

afterall, its fine for people to say "BFing is cool- if you can't take the pain, get out of the building"

but then, if it comes down to ability to take pain, then surely they aren't going to mind leaping out from behind cover and yelling "cummon, you peeeeeeeggss!" rather than blindfiring?

afterall, blindfiring is what occurs usually when a person doesn't want to get hit.

the objections TO blindfiring are its a dangerous way to GET hit

so lets throw the "I'm manlier than thou" arguments out of the window- for different reasons, both the pro-bfers and anti-bfers don't want to get shot, do they?

I'm quite happy to leap into a room guns blazing, but then I don't take airsoft seriously in regard to my time spent on the battlefield achieving objectives- indeed some of the best work I've ever done in gaining ground for a team were at last years SWAT biggame, where I was charging hell for leather into opposing forces just to give my team time to advance on their position while drawing enemy fire off them- it worked a treat, though I did spend a lot of time in the safezone trying to get my breath back :).

no-one here is "afraid" to get hit by a BB, tis just we like to have some control over HOW we get hit, and minimise needless risktaking.

the difference between shooting someone in the face while BFing id that YOU CANNOT SEE WHO THE PERSON IS YOU"VE JUST SHOT! you don't know, as you empty your mag into the room, if the person you've just heard yell HIT from behind the door has taken one bb, 10 bbs or if you're STILL firing bbs into him from point blank range.

this can be rectified by simply looking first- no you don't have to wander in saying "don't mind me, just come to check the gas meter", but you can check in a swift, efficent way without having to put anyone at risk other than yourself.

and I think thats the crux of the matter- who gets put at risk? for me, it must always be that my actions must put me at risk first and foremost, not my fellow players. I don't care so greatly about the game that I'm happy to risk upsetting or physically hurting someone, so why should I BF, when me commiting hari kari, guns blazing, is infinately more fun for all involved? ;)

Oh, when I think blind firing, I'm not thinking that the person literally has no clue what's on the other side. Ya see, what I usually think of is, "oh, snap, there's a guy with an AEG that's pinned me down, I'll let 'em have it," chances are, he's hidden, too. Anyway.... I do understand the anti-BF side of the story, I just don't agree with it 100%

thomme, in such circumstances, as you'll note from I think pages 2 and 4 of the discussion, when someone is pinned and has a rough idea of the location of his opponent, its a different story.

in woodland, me getting pinned from a distance by a sniper or an LSW isn't going to stop me sticking my AEG over a wall and lettting off a few rounds at the. for me the issue truly arises during CQB

If I find my self faced with having to enter a room from which comes a constant barrage of bbs and abuse (therefore I know hostiles are in there, and I know they are armed) I might be tempted to blind fire.

of course, I could always lob in a smoke grenade, I could always run across the door way checking whos in there, or I could just poke my head round.

Yes, BFing is the safest option for me.

but thats not the issue- my opponents in airsoft aren't actual SS or gestapo officers, they're just guys, so I'd rather run a few risks myself rather than blind fire- I don't mind taking risks with myself, but I don't assume everyone assume taking uncalled for risks.

Airsoft is a game, not an "I'm harder than you" exercise- fine, play like that if you want to, just don't rely on everyone you meet to agree ewith you!

Ah, I see we're agreeing a little more. If I knew someone were around the corner, I'd supress them with a few shots and then come out to engage them. I'd never walk up to a corner and go, "I wonder if someone's out there," and proceed to empty a magazine into the unknown. If a guy on my team did that while I was with him, I'd shoot him in the back and make him call the hit, just to get even. Although, I wouldn't kick him out or anything, I'd just subject him to friendly fire.

The whole, "I'm not sure if anyones around the corner, I'll fire blindly," is kind'a jerky. I'd still call my hit if I were hit bye that, but, not happily.

of course- I'd always call my hit if shot by some idiot bFing.

I might fart on him on the way out, of course...and I eat a LOT of curry :)

also, if he stuck his gun round a corner and shot me in the face without checking first, I'd be very tempted to get exceedingly angry with him possibly even dragging him out by his tac-vest to the nearest marshall, but thats me-

again, I play a game; I don't put my safety above others, and if someone puts my safety or th safety of anyone else at risk, then in my eyes, this is inexcusible.

the objections TO blindfiring are its a dangerous way to GET hit

so lets throw the "I'm manlier than thou" arguments out of the window- for different reasons, both the pro-bfers and anti-bfers don't want to get shot, do they?

I'm quite happy to leap into a room guns blazing, but then I don't take airsoft seriously in regard to my time spent on the battlefield achieving objectives- indeed some of the best work I've ever done in gaining ground for a team were at last years SWAT biggame, where I was charging hell for leather into opposing forces just to give my team time to advance on their position while drawing enemy fire off them- it worked a treat, though I did spend a lot of time in the safezone trying to get my breath back :).

no-one here is "afraid" to get hit by a BB, tis just we like to have some control over HOW we get hit, and minimise needless risktaking.

the difference between shooting someone in the face while BFing id that YOU CANNOT SEE WHO THE PERSON IS YOU"VE JUST SHOT! you don't know, as you empty your mag into the room, if the person you've just heard yell HIT from behind the door has taken one bb, 10 bbs or if you're STILL firing bbs into him from point blank range.

Sums up my thoughts exactly.. with the priviso that "woodland" shouldn't be seen as an exchange of fire at range limits, but also includes CQB.

CQB as opposed to FIBUA (just to get the acronyms rolling :blink::lol: )

What happens when u poke ur gun round the corner while not looking round, and loosing off a fair few rounds while a friendly runs across the corridor, or doorway?

Would any of u class that has cover or blind firing? Because i think its both.

TBH, I don't think anybody's gonna whine at you for doing that. Equally, if you're being chased and you run around a corner I think it'd be reasonable if you shoved your gun back around the corner and gave a quick squirt.

The main reason I think there should be a "rule" is so that a player or marshal has grounds to complain if somebody is abusing the tactic.

As I said before, if it's not a rule then it's difficult to tell some people why they shouldn't be doing it. If it's a rule then it's not a problem.

If a site has a blind-fire rule in operation then a marshal can ignore it or enforce it at his discretion. If there is no rule then he can't really do anything even if a player is grossly overdoing the blind-firing.

In my experience, marshals (and players) tend to be pretty laid back. They don't penalise people for reflexive or accidental actions. It's only if you're blatantly taking the ###### that they step in.

TBH, I don't think anybody's gonna whine at you for doing that. Equally, if you're being chased and you run around a corner I think it'd be reasonable if you shoved your gun back around the corner and gave a quick squirt.

The main reason I think there should be a "rule" is so that a player or marshal has grounds to complain if somebody is abusing the tactic.

As I said before, if it's not a rule then it's difficult to tell some people why they shouldn't be doing it. If it's a rule then it's not a problem.

If a site has a blind-fire rule in operation then a marshal can ignore it or enforce it at his discretion. If there is no rule then he can't really do anything even if a player is grossly overdoing the blind-firing.

In my experience, marshals (and players) tend to be pretty laid back. They don't penalise people for reflexive or accidental actions. It's only if you're blatantly taking the ###### that they step in.

Well at my sight, where ever there is a roof over your head its single shot, negating the use of blind fire, unless of course the gun can only shoot full auto, and we dont have many of them here.

Anyway, i dont mind blind fire myself, and not a lot of ppl dont mind it where we play also, but we have trained to do use proper tactics while looking round a corner. And anyway, if we dont know whats around a corner we chuck a frag round it anyway to clear it, as proper tactics should be.

But when its outside, we can either play single shot or full auto, and again with our sites u really cant blind fire as most of our sites are full of dense forestry woodland jungle kind of stuff :huh:

of course- I'd always call my hit if shot by some idiot bFing.

I might fart on him on the way out, of course...and I eat a LOT of curry :)

awwwwww we ain`t allowed biological weapons at my site ;)

but i agree with the general machismo thing at the end of the day, shooting round corners is a way of avoiding putting YOURSELF at risk whilst risking others, if you`re a believer in "take the pain" then shouldn`t the roles be reversed ?

Hi all, just thought I'd say that this is my first post on this site, and I've only ever played airsoft for a day's gaming (although now I'm horribly, horribly addicted and my xbox collection is postponed indefinately whilst I drool over shooty things :) ), so I may not be the most qualified person to comment on blind-firing.

However, IMHO, it's just like all the player-responsible aspects of airsoft - as long as you have decent, fair and honest players, it's doable. The number of first-timers (like myself) who wouldn't even admit getting legally hit, or would pull stuff like deliberate friendly-fire was easily the most annoying aspect of the day. From a health and safety aspect, the worst injuries were one of my mates who took a glancing shot to the neck which bled a little, and about six of us with massive bruises on our lower backs. The bruises came from a total ****head who pretended he was on our team, ambled up behind us when a 10 second respawn was announced, and then went full-auto from a range of about a yard when we were lying down in cover, despite being specifically reminded NOT to do that at several points during the day. This guy was also good at ignoring hits.

I wouldn't dream of blind-firing into the complete unknown. I did BF down a trench when I saw five of the opposing team file down it towards me, but I knew they were a good distance away. But that was more panic than anything else. Incidentally, I didn't hit anything, but when I took a few deep breaths and calmed down, I began leaning out and snapshooting. Result - got three of them before they eventually got me.

CQB BF seems a definate no-no from what I've read throughout this thread, but it's kinda hard to avoid in woodland, especially when the light-level starts dropping. I was shooting more at sounds than anything else in the last game of our day, I suppose you could technically say that is BF. Same as shooting at a bunker on full auto instead of aiming for the blokes inside it. The deciding factor seems to be in knowing that your enemies are distant enough to avoid a nasty injury in case that not-really-aimed burst of suppressive fire accidentally connects with a head, which takes me back to my earlier statement - a sensible player will abide by that, a total idiot won't, and he'll probably be the guy you nailed five minutes ago but isn't accepting the hit.

Apologies if I've ranted on too long or insulted you airsoft vets with my newbie impudence!

(Note: that's impudence, not impotence.....)

Well, that sucks. I mean, never mind health & safety, but one reason I'm well into airsoft now is from watching so many war movies and having the desire to be the heroic special ops guy who calmly pops up and starts dropping the bad guys whilst everyone else is cowering in a foxhole.

BF is for panicky wimps!

(I can just tell I'm going to eat those words come the next gane...)

Archived