The blind fire rule, Good or bad ?

wildstallion

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I stated several posts ago, I expected some individual at some point to point out that in real life, compromises must be struck. For a minute there, I thought I was going to be proven wrong... :D

In terms of practicality, I think Sid's post neatly ties up the real life application of the rule. Now that we've got that firmly established, what about returning to discussing on an ideological level the positive or negative impact of a blind-fire rule?

That or someone could put the thread out of its misery... :rolleyes:

:D yep, altho considering the differing levels of opinion on this topic i`m suggesting it may be safer to refer to as the blind fire guideline.

all told i`ll agree to disagree, and maybe it`s time this puppy was put down.

10 pages... so quickly...

Blind firing is a guideline, use your better judgment because we can't make a rule to apply to every single situation. And remember kiddies, safety first!!

OK, now it's time to put this thread out of everyone's misery

Hmm. "Guidelines" get ignored all the time.

Better to have a stated rule (particularly for first-timers, let alone newbies in general) "hat states "no blind firing".

All complaints or observations to be considered by Marshals on the spot, as with every single other 'softing complaint/issue.

Those without dedicated Marshals - treat it in just the same way that you'd handle someone not taking their hits.

And yes, before anyone says anything, I teach at a FE college level, so it's not just those pesky teenage kids with all those pesky notions like individuality which tend to abuse the system...

I can't stand that type of people. They won't even say The Pledge of Alligence for Christ's sake! In my as eyes that makes them look like complete ungrateful assh*les...which is pretty much what they are.

Well, I can say that my newbie self has been truly educated on the issue of BFing. I'll know to watch out for that kind of thing in future, especially when I get a chance to play on a CQB site. Of course, I'll be too busy trying to perfect my manly SWAT-team poses and shouting 'CLEAR!' in a deep voice to BF anyone ;)

Cheers guys!

And yet no-one spares a thought for the poor Marshals ;)

As a marshal, it is VERY annoying to be walking through a room and then get sprayed from head to toe from 5 feet away by someone who is too scared to look before they shoot. Marshals regularly do NOT wear full-face protection like the players because they need to communicate more. This has resulted in pot-marks all over my face and neck many times before now because of blind firing.

Basically, I just don't see the fun in blind firing. Grenades are there to stop you having to blind fire and there's NO WAY a burst of blind fire is going to guarantee you a clear room on the other side like a thunderflash would, so what's the point?

It's less safe, it's a marshal's nightmare, it's nowhere near as effective as a grenade, and it's a waste of ammo.

If you simply must allow blind fires on your site, allow gun hits to count as hits too, so the guys in the other room have a chance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, it seems the populous want this thread closed. The question has been answered and we now seem to be going round in circles, so I'm going to close this now. If it really has to be re-opened, PM me.

Cheers for a lively and thought provoking thread though ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

THREAD RE-OPENED

This question has come up again, so I am re-opening this thread and merging the newly created thread here.

Keep it on-topic, friendly and remember what has been said before here guys n gals - it's all still relevant ;)

• 5 months later...

it all just comes down to cowardice in my eyes- stop acting like a big Jessy, sticking you gun round a corner like a timid little mouse- get stuck in! whats manly about shooting around corners, potentially running the risk of injuring fellow airsoft enthusiasts just to keep yourself safe and dry and away from the safe zone? nothing.

whats manly about charging in, a pistol in each hand and a flashbang between the teeth, screaming blue murder and defying the gods ni a moment of pure, unbridled comedy? everything.

so i repeat, stop being a big girls blouse and get in there. Everyone will enjoy themselves far more, and the marshalls might even give you the "suicidal looney of the day" award, which is something to treasure and show off to the ladies :)

it all just comes down to cowardice in my eyes- stop acting like a big Jessy, sticking you gun round a corner like a timid little mouse- get stuck in! whats manly about shooting around corners, potentially running the risk of injuring fellow airsoft enthusiasts just to keep yourself safe and dry and away from the safe zone? nothing.

whats manly about charging in, a pistol in each hand and a flashbang between the teeth, screaming blue murder and defying the gods ni a moment of pure, unbridled comedy? everything.

so i repeat, stop being a big girls blouse and get in there. Everyone will enjoy themselves far more, and the marshalls might even give you the "suicidal looney of the day" award, which is something to treasure and show off to the ladies :)

Quoted for truth and +1

I think it s a superb rule. Picture teh scene. You're courching round a corner, I leg it up, stick the Moscart round, and I pull the trigger. Are you relaly willing to be on teh recieving end of 165rnds point blank? I'm not so I don't expect others to be either.

If you want to blind fire then chuck a grenade in.

and unlike real life where you are risking your life, you are in no real danger so why bother bf'ing :unsure: just run in and shoot anyone you can see ;)

Personally while finding blind firing a perfectly exceptable thing, sorry i do, i personally see tactical advantage to actually doing it, unless you are 100% certain the enemy is around the corner and if they are, then they get it, why because we are playing a game with an objective to win.

Of course creating large mounts of pain to my friends or fellow airsofters is not the aim but thats the risk you take, example, running straight in to a dark bunker complex with two automatic pistols 1st time round i nail 9+ people, quite comical really, 2nd time round i end up getting nailed right and royally still have the marks to prove it, all good fun and i don't blame anyone,

Like wise there is no minimum contact distance in airsoft and wether it be round a corner or right in front the effect is still the same wzzzzz click poomth owch! take your hit and get on with it,

just to point out i totally don't agree with 203's or moscat's being used to clear the corner, thats just plain rude

To be honest, the bottom line is that, basically, it's cheating.

Airsoft is supposed to be a sport. If you're fighting a war then anything goes but that's not what airsoft is.

When I play laser-tag it's a rule that your sensor must ALWAYS be visible to anybody you're shooting so they get a chance to retaliate. Basically, I figure the same thing should apply in airsoft. If you blind-fire at somebody and miss then you are still safe. If you confront them and miss then they are, at least, in a position to retaliate.

incidentally, how do you know you've actually hit anybody if you're just hosing around a corner?

Would disagree, I'd say Airsoft is at least partially about milsim. I'd rather not turn Airsoft into Laser Tag. The guns are really meant to represent guns, bbs bullets, clothing = real military clothing, I see little point in treating airsoft any other way.

Blind firing IS wrong for other reasons, but it isn't that.

incidentally, how do you know you've actually hit anybody if you're just hosing around a corner?

That would be the screaming ;)

*EDIT* JANUARY THE 3RD? SOMEONE DUG THIS THREAD UP AND CONFUSED MY *albatross*.

I don't do much CQB, so I really don't know the pain that gets dished out, but it seems a bit pathetic to need to blindfire. If you are too much of a puss to snag a real quick look around the corner, you probably shouldn't be getting chased around by guys with guns. Granted, you might expose yourself for 1.5 seconds, but it would take a pretty amazing shot to hit the side of your head from more than 3 feet away in that time. The reaction speed would have to be pretty crazy. Just my 2 cents.

I still personally believe that the average person who blindfires needs to question just how secure they are in their masculinity, and ask themselves whether there is a slight difference between doing something for fun, and seeking to win at any cost, even if that cost is the safety of others. But beyond that I'm going to give this thread a wide berth!

Archived