jarmory1911-1.JPG

So... Who the h*** is "J-Armory"?

I asked that as well, when I saw the boxes stacked in the Ikebukuro ANGS shop. According to the staff there, J-Armory is a new Japanese airsoft company and is being described as an "affordable WA." True to the WA comparison, J-Armory seems to have jumped on the recent GBB 1911 bandwagon with their first offering being a Springfield Armory "Mil-Spec" 1911.

Selling for just under 12000 Yen, the J-Armory 1911 costs roughly 100 USD, or about 60 GBP. At that price, how could I pass?

So, how is it?

Fit and Finish

Being a relatively plain-jane 1911, the J-Armory Mil-Spec certainly won't win any beauty contests. The finish is stated to be a parkerized finish, but the actual appearance is a subdued two-tone, with most of the gun being a fairly decent dark matte grey and the slide being a flat black.

jarmory1911-5.JPG

While not exactly the prettiest 1911 I've ever seen, the J-Armory Mil-Spec is a faithful reproduction of the appearance of Springfield Armory's real-steel Mil-Spec. However, though most of the finish is a passable facsimile of a parkerized finish, the black slide does come accross as a bit plasticy.

Rather than the quick wearing black finish on zinc parts that many airsoft manufacturers seem to prefer, J-Armory has opted to use painted finishes on all the external metal bits. I'm not sure how this will hold up in the long-term, but it's unlikely that it'll wear off any faster than the blackened zinc finishes used by other manufacturers. The painted surfaces also have the benefit of perfectly matching the coloring of the plastic parts.

Speaking of metal bits, the Mil-Spec 1911 has a fair amount of heft to it, partly from the amount of metal parts used, some of which are genuine steel (eg. the plunger tube on the recoil spring). Weighing in at 728g, the Mil-Spec is has a respectable feel in the hand, and (unlike some GBBs) is hefty and well balanced both with and without the magazine inserted.

jarmory1911-11.JPG

The fit and function of the controls are good - not up to snuff for a target psitol, but more than servicable for a skirmish gun. There's a little roughness in some of the controls, but they're still positive and responsive. The safety is a bit rough when disengaging it, but firmly snaps on and off. The hammer rocks back smoothly and clicks into both full and half cock postions positively. The trigger has very little creep, and breaks cleanly at about 4-5 pounds of pressure.

The fit of the parts is fairly tight, and the Mil-Spec has little or no rattle when shaken. Surprisingly, there were no loose screws or rattling bits that needed to be torqued down. However, some of the parts are almost too tightly fit - the bushing wrench that's supplied with the Mil-Spec isn't just for show, it's necessary for disassembling the pistol.

Disassmbly

The Mil-Spec fields strips very similarly to most real and airsoft 1911s. You remove the magazine, remove the slide stop pin, and pull the slide forward, off the frame. But, there is one crucial difference between the Mil-Spec and other 1911 designs. The J-Armory Mil-Spec has a built in recoil absorber that uses a captive plunger tube.

Huh?!?

Yeah - I know... Bear with me...

Anyone who's field stripped either a real or WA 1911 has, at some point in their lives, turned the barrel bushing and watched their plunger tube shoot across the room... :withstupid:

jarmory1911-15.JPG

But, in the above picture, you'll notice two things that look out of place... There's a red rubber ring around the recoil spring guide rod, and there's a metal ring behind the dust cover on the slide. The metal ring is actually the rear of the plunger tube. It slides back and impacts a metal spacer on the front of the red rubber buffer. This reduces shock and wear on the pistol, and also results in the pistol's recoil feeling more like a real 1911's recoil... Slow and steady, rather than the sharp, snappy recoil of most GBBs.

Unfortunately, the recoil control system also prevents the plunger tube from being removed from the front of the slide, as is normally done when disassembling most 1911 style pistols. This makes complete field stripping a bit more complex, as you have to remove the guide rod, recoil spring, and plunger from the rear of the slide before you can remove the (overly tight) barrel bushing and the barrel.

jarmory1911-12.JPG

As stated earlier, the bushing wrench was necessary for actually torquing the bushing free from slide. I'm sure that, with time and use, it'll loosen up some - but the fisrt few times stripping this pistol are a real pain.

Performance

Yeah, yeah - enough about all the technical gibberish... How's it shoot?!?

Impressively.

The magazine holds 22 BBs and can fire through a full mag, in rapid fire, with no noticable loss in power. But the small gas resevoir doesn't allow for more than 1 mag worth of BBs per gas fill, as power drops off rapidly after about 25-30 shots.

The Mil-Spec has a fixed hop-up that seems well dialed-in for use with .25g BBs. At a distance of just under 5 meters, firing at about 1 round per seceond, the Mil-Spec was able to put all the rounds from it's magazine into a single, jagged, 5cm hole...

jarmory1911-16.JPG

Not terribly impressive, but decent enough for a skirmish gun. Sadly, while my Tokyo apartment is comfortable, it's a bit cramped from what I'm used to - so I can't really test the long range accuracy at this time.

In addition to the recoil absorbing feature, the Mil-Spec has a fairly unique spring loaded inner barrel. Rather than relying on the loading mechanism to lock up the inner barrel, the Mil-Spec has a spring system that makes inner barrel consistantly lock up in the same position. This seems to work well, as even when firing rapid shot strings the Mil-Spec was consistantly on target. No flying shots resulting from the inner barrel being out of position with the sights.

I'm always reluctant to discuss recoil with GBBs, since I'm so used to shooting real weapons that the recoil of GBB often seems almost laughable. However, the Mil-Spec is respectable in this area and, as mentioned earlier, the recoil system J-Armory uses does change the feel of the Mil-Spec's recoil to something more akin to how a 1911 should feel...

No chrono results yet, but will update when I have this info and more long-range testing.

Conclusion

A nice little pistol. Affordable, seemingly reliable (only time will tell), and respectably accurate. Well worth the 11800 Yen price tag, and should prove to be a decent skirmish gun.

Unfortunately, I don't know if the J-Armory guns will ever find an audience outside of Japan. While their pistols are pretty decent quality and quite affordable, their choice to enter the market with a 1911 means they're up against some stiff competition. WA dominates the Japanese 1911 market, and with KSC and TM now offering affordable and skirmishable 1911 GBBs the maket is becoming somewhat flooded. Also, in the US the current crop of WE and KJW metal 1911s leave little room for break-in competition from anyone other than established and reputable GBB manufacturers. Perhaps J-Armory will branch out into other makes and models and gain a foot hold in the international market, or perhaps they'll simply find a nitch in the Japanese market and try to stay alive. Either way, The J-Armory Mil-Spec is a respectable first offering from a company that shows some potential to rival the big-boys.

Edited by (V)atrix
Good review, covered pretty much everything, I think. Couple of questions:

Any chance of some chrono figures for it?

Is it compatible with WA parts, such as slides, etc?

Who's stocking these at the moment?

:zorro:

I don't have a chrono here in Japan, but I will see if anyone I know here can hook me up with one for a few shots. Otherwise, I will chrono it once I get back to the states in August.

Don't know about the WA parts compatibility. I didn't think to ask when I bought it, but I will ask next time I stop in at ANGS. I'd like to install a metal barrel chamber and and see if WA mags work in it - so will be following up on this.

The only dealer I've seen stocking these, so far, is ANGS... I will update if I find other retailers selling them.

Edited by (V)atrix

Fair do's. Tbh, the only thing I can see against them is if they're not compatible with WA (or TM, KSC, whatever) spare parts. If you can't upgrade it or replace parts easily, you'd be nuts not to spend a little extra on one of the competion's guns. The WA SCW3's are going for about 112US$ on WGC, so it's not a huge price difference.

I shall wait with interest to see what the TM is like, and if the J-Armory can be fitted with WA bits. :)

:zorro:

Yeah, I'm anxioulsy looking forward to the TM 1911 too. If they're anywhere as nice as the TM P226 I'll be picking up one of those and doing another review.

Also, J-Armory licensed the WA Magna Blowback system for the Mil-Spec, so I imagine at least some parts are WA compatible. As I said, I'll check on this next time I'm in Ikebukuro.

Edited by (V)atrix
not impressive?!?!???  thats some serious accuracy (or you're just a crazy good pistoleer)

Well, less than 5 meters isn't really much of a test for accuracy. Most semi-auto pistols should be able to perform similarly at such a close range.

One thing I will say impressed me though... At 5 meters, with .25g BBs, the sights were dead on! No drift, no drop, just line them up, and that's where the hole will be.

This gun sounds exactly like the WA Magna Tech 1911.

I have one, and it has the same low weight, but nice feeling of heft in the hand, it has the same necessity of the bushing wrench, it has the same recoil system (the buffer is black though, not red), and it has the same excellent accuracy and springloaded inner barrel.

What gas did you use, 134a I guess? Then .25g ammo sounds right to me. On green gas, my magna tech shoots a little high with .30g, and straight on with .43g BBs, nice!

This gun sounds exactly like the WA Magna Tech 1911.

I have one, and it has the same low weight, but nice feeling of heft in the hand, it has the same necessity of the bushing wrench, it has the same recoil system (the buffer is black though, not red), and it has the same excellent accuracy and springloaded inner barrel.

Well considering that J-Armory licensed the Magna Blowback system from WA, the similarities are hardly surprising. Though, all my WA 1911s are older designs, so I wasn't aware WA had incorporated some of those features into their newer guns.

What gas did you use, 134a I guess? Then .25g ammo sounds right to me. On green gas, my magna tech shoots a little high with .30g, and straight on with .43g BBs, nice!

Yeah 134a... That's all you can (legally) get here.

Edited by (V)atrix