tishina

fr00b

call me slow, but how is this going together again?

lets assume i have a trigger and barrel, all i need to make with the modelling foam and resin is the housing and grip... i have read all of what you said, and exactly how i end up with a tishina escapes me.... the modelling foam is plainly a blocky material that can be carved into a combined housing and grip shape - correct?

im assuming the next step is to attach the trigger and trigger guard AND barrel to this block of white foam. the trigger, being attached to internal workings must sit inside a small hollow in the foam, and the axel upon which the trigger mechanism pivots must be pushed through a drilled hole in the foam (is this going to be solid? it doesnt sound like modelling foam is overly crumbly but i like to be sure)

then attaching the barrel would be simply slotting the barrel into a cylindrical cut-out, and gluing it in place with epoxy - correct? the barrel might be quite heavy, if i manage to make it from metal (i know two people have suggested pvc tubing so far, but a lathed metal barrel would be so much BETTER would it not?) but modelling foam should be solid enough

the trigger guard would simply connect to the barrel and be glued onto the foam block.

this is where i get a little lost, with the finish.. i have a metallic coloured barrel attached to a white block of foam, and i have some fibreglass cloth and epoxy

epoxy is for attaching the fibreglass to the foam right? thats how i understand it so far, but why then must the epoxy be of the type that copes with sanding and filing? the epoxy, as far as i have come to understand, is what bonds the fibreglass to the foam, and so wont be filed or sanded at all... thats the main part that confused me

once that is done, i have a resiny, fibreglassy, strong waterproof tishina, which can be painted however i see fit?

tell me how much of this is right, and if parts are wrong let me know :)

oh and i just thought after writing all that, it would be better to paint the metallic components before attaching them... so disregard that part

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have it pretty much right. Except a few things.

If you can mill out a barrel from aluminum, that would indeed be optimal. I think that on the back side if you leave a tab on the bottom to assist you in attaching the trigger Mech that would really make your life easier. I think that you should encase the trigger mechanism in thin aliminum. That will keep ir working well and make sure that it will last a while.

Now for the foam and fiberglass. After you have the barrel and catch and trigger assembled and working. Then you take the foam and cut out the handle and carve out a place for the workings of the trigger mech and such to go.

The way the fiberglass worksis you place it on the foam then you spread the epoxy across and into it. The cloth absorbs the epoxy. Then it hardens inside and ontop of the cloth. That is the way this stuff gets his strength. You then can sand it to make it smooth. I am not sure about all the ins and outs of this but there are tons of resources out there to help you along. I saw some books on Walmart.com, and i am sure that you can get one from your local home improvement shop.

• 2 weeks later...

well, thanks to some great input, ive got the design for the actual tishina progressed much further than before

however! this tishina doesn't just clip happily onto a vfc aks-74un, oh no, im going to have to make a "aks-74ub"... which basically means a aks-74un that can have bs-1 tishina attached :D

here are some clearer pics i found

image_34553.jpg

image_34554.jpg

so! the lower handguard is totally different, and needs leather and buttons rivetted to it, not a major problem, i dont know what kind of rivets those are, but im sure drilling little holes in the handguard and finding the right rivets isnt beyond my limited DIY skills (have i just made a fool of myself? those ARE rivets arnt they?? :D)

the part that has come to trouble me is to do with how the tishina is attached... on the aks-74ub, there is obviously some sort of attachment underneath the leather flap, and the front sight appears to have a extension underneath (if you know what i mean) that bolts to the front of the tishina...

once again the limited information on tishinas and aksub-74 available on the internet is no where near detailed enough to help with the intricacies of attaching the tishina

so basically i thought i'd get what i know out there, and perhaps a couple of you guys can fill in the gaps:

-how is the tishina attached

-if you dont know for sure, can you suggest how it SHOULD be attached, if possible basing this on ur experience of normal AK engineering.

-(massive longshot here) if one of the (european and american mostly) members who know all about getting real steel grips to plonk on their replicas could actually get their hands(or cameras) on a aks-74ub front grip.. that would be awesome

-need more information/better pictures of both the grip attachment and the front attachment

-opinions and ideas are, as always, very welcome

-somewhat on a sidenote, info on that odd looking grenade sight would be good

OOOO!!!

I have something constructive I can add...

While it might not be as authentic, you may want to make this RIS mountable, as then you could use the stock TM Beta front grip (just repaint it bakelite brown) and eliminate some of your mounting headaches...

holy ######! they sell a fully functioning aks-74ub for 200 dollars???

you must need some sort of insanely hard to get license to buy that.. grenade launcher and silencer(s).. and fully auto perhaps

thats a great find, if you find where they sell spares for it i will... kiss... your boots... or.. erm. yeah.

that seems like an insane price to sell such a rare item >=/

go and buy one!! and then take pictures for me! do it now!

• 4 weeks later...
Guns And Guys have a VFC AKSU silencer ( Go to : http://www.gunsnguys.com/home_ns.htm then click : Parts and Accessories, then : Others, it's the 1st item)

Thought it could help for your project!

yeah i was thinking about that, but ive found a pbs-5 for roughly the same money, which gives it a slightly sleeker, more genuine look

as to the gas shotgun shells, i really think i can find all the realism calibre wise from a mini moscart, what with it being a 30mm gun and a 27mm shell (not including rim)

i figure, tape it up so it fits in the barrel, and then spray it silver to look like the real thing

ive contacted a gunsmith with good AK knowledge about how to attach the tishina, i'll post in here to let you know how that goes

the gunsmith i contacted got me this picture among others, but this is a real nice one which i had never seen before, so i thought id be generous and share :rolleyes::D

aks74ub1rg1.th.jpg

tbh this picture makes me lean slightly more towards the pbs-4 mentioned by lord blackgoat, rather than the pbs-5 i had my heart set on. doesnt really matter at the moment though, as i havnt got money for either :(

• 1 year later...

russian65vs0.jpg

bs1akmsmm5.jpg

pbs5bs1cm1.jpg

aksbunvl6.jpg

81aksuwithpbsnl9.jpg

A few more images to herald the reviving of this age old, poorly funded project. I'll be looking for one or two of the forum machinists to help me out with the final product, so contact me if you're interested in the project

At the minute though i really should get on with creating detailed plans, possibly with one of those 3D drawing thingummy watsits. If you can help out with that aspect, i would gladly accept your guidance/skill in creating a plan that can be presented to the guys creating the final piece. (having unwisely stopped any sort of design class before GCSE, i am a bit clueless.)

The ideas for the internals so far presented in this topic are only basic outlines, i would like a more compact mechanism for keeping the muzzle loaded moscart in place, and possibly some way of incorporating the bolt action on the side into the workings (grenade release?)

also some sort of basic mechanism to give the trigger a little more of a manly pull, rather than just swinging around inside the guard, i think there could be plenty of room to add some cogs(etc) inside the body that resist the trigger pull and make some sort of noise (to make it feel less pathetic)

Any additional ideas are welcome, thanks

And credit to FW200 for finding most of the RS pics for me

• 2 weeks later...

I did consider a bolt action BS-1 early on, and it is an interesting and valid idea, especially for the shape of the launcher.

However! for fun factor and a degree of realism, i decided to go with a moscart

Currently im discussing the design and dimensions with one of the machinists who uses these forums, and though specifics for the locking mechanism and attachment to the rifle havent been fully planned, it looks like this project is going ahead

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived