British army going Molle?

WOLF_2549

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw these new Osprey molle plate carriers on the news the other day, on BBC2 I think it was. A few bits of footage they showed of british soldiers in Iraq had me stunned, as I saw a few squaddies wearing it. I almost passed out in shock after shouting out ''Those squaddies are wearing Molle!''

Looks like really gucci kit, and certainly makes the army look alot more modern. Its a great bonus that it offers more protection too

That is most odd as the goverment spent a fair bit of money updating the desert DPM last year. Why would they do that if they was going to get rid of it 2 years later?

Issue kit comes along in huge leaps and bounds in major long term campaigns. This is due to getting feedback from soldiers about whats actually required in the current combat enviroment. Most webbing was made for european style campaigns where you carried all you needed to live on your back. Now we're operating from fixed bases on patrols/combat recce operations. Assualt vests where initially deployed, now feedback is coming in on how to improve on it. Modularity is the next logical step. If they do intend to change camoflage designs now is also the best time to do it.

im TA, we wont be seeing ANY new kit for a good few years, you certainly wont, think 10 years for the combats, then 20 for the molle, dont even think about the m249s, we JUST got those , love em.

Didn't the brit army get the minimi in 2003 at the start of op telic 1? 3 years isn't bad waiting time. When i left th cadets in 2005, 95 trousers were just starting to be issued to the area i was in.

Scopey as regards to the "comfort of your own home" argument. Having had a muck about with the EBA before now i would have thought that any system built up around it would be even more cumbersome. The EBA is awkward to bend or look down in, heavy, sweaty (all of which you'll allready know) and to build a system where that HAS to be worn (albeit it in a new guise) seems silly to me. For example if they phased out PLCE so that everyone had to wear osprey, i think it would be unpopular-for exercises and non tactical situations at least.

Full plate CBA is certainly a good thing, but I still wouldn't wear the MOLLE pouches on it.

I'd much rather stick to the webbing or Arktis vest I'm in a wagon.

webbing over the armour? plce is bulky enough as it is, and especially in fibua, the osprey seems to combine the 2 and reduce the bulk of 2 systems a tad.

Like LJ said it would be better to keep the armour and load carrying system separate. That way you can still carry your kit if you need to but dont need the armour, or you can ditch the kit should you need to, but still have the bullet protection

EDIT: I hope they dont make this a woodland thing as well, could you imagine having to dive on ammo and grenade pouches? I forsee lots of pain and broken mags

webbing over the armour? plce is bulky enough as it is, and especially in fibua, the osprey seems to combine the 2 and reduce the bulk of 2 systems a tad.

Well it's what I've been doing for the past 7 years mate, and as kipper said, 2 systems is far more flexible.

I'll admit, there are situations when having your ammo pouches on your CBA would be handy, eg. short patrols, standing around at VCP's and the like. But for anything else, I'd rather stick with PLCE.

I mean hell, the current CBA is bulky and restrictive enough as it is, not to mention the weight, why make it worse.

I mean hell, the current CBA is bulky and restrictive enough as it is, not to mention the weight, why make it worse.

That's kind of what i was getting at.

Personally i've never felt that PLCE was bad for OBUA. For crawling through pipes etc a la TA2 then maybe, but for normal room to room skirmishing it's fine. But then i never understood the whole CQB "everything must be short" argument. Brits were doing room clearing with bolt action, stupidly long enfields back in the 40's... The americans used M16s and webbing *gasp* in the 'nam urban battles...

We should of stuck with lines of men facing off and those fancy red uniforms as well. Flintlocks FTW!

Things change and it's always worthwhile to experiment. After all MOLLE rigs come in all shapes and sizes. However equipment should always be suited to task and not visa versa.

That's kind of what i was getting at.

Personally i've never felt that PLCE was bad for OBUA. For crawling through pipes etc a la TA2 then maybe, but for normal room to room skirmishing it's fine. But then i never understood the whole CQB "everything must be short" argument. Brits were doing room clearing with bolt action, stupidly long enfields back in the 40's... The americans used M16s and webbing  *gasp* in the 'nam urban battles...

Very good point as usual LJ.

My main doubt when it come to this stuff is, it's all fine and dandy in the heat, but when it comes to temperate climates or iraq in winter or at night when most people wear their CBA UNDER their smocks (thus enabling the use of pockets and shoving of empty mags down the frot of your smock) it ain't gonna be much use really is it.

The way i see it, and im not really that sure about if its even possible

but i think the best move would have been to just get new armour carriers that can carry full sized plates, and have kept the armour and webbing separate

I honestly don't think that plate carriers will be the way forwards anyway. Putting on a MOLLE plate carrier was like stepping into a sauna for me. Brit ops vests with a mesh back and open front, fine. But 2 layers of ballistic nylon front and rear.... ecspecially for use in the sandbox, i just don't get it.

EBA with PLCE or ops vest over. Restrictive and hot, but still probably better than this new thing will be. I would have thought that the way forwards would have been to issue MOLLE ops vests, with a new type of EBA that takes SAPIs.

Edit: kipper came up with the same idea at the same time. Walt.

you lot are not getting it....it is a TOTALLY different vest to the EBA and IEBA - it has a newer form of kevlar filler - lighter and lower profile but increased protection , the spai size plates are made in the US by DYNEEMA - good kit .

It has an extra collar and shoulder ATTACHMENTS - completely removable unlike IEBA.

As i said in my post - i personally believe in the flexibility of keeping my armour n pouches seperate ( i run a plate carrier styel vest and modular chest rig with some custom pouches )

the issue modular pouches are shoddy to say the least but the army is moving in the right direction - Flexible.

Wait till you see some people blown to bits ( and i have ) and you will not worry to much about the heat generated by your armour ;) - need more mobility and lighter weight - look at what you are carrying not reduce protection. I have seen far too many soldiers going out on a three hr patrol in 50 degree heat carrying the kind of *beep* they carry back here in the uk - full EnE kits, brew kit etc - madness......

For the youngsters here with intent on joining up there will be no " i ain't wearing this *beep*" - news flash unless you are SF you WILL wear ISSUE armour ;) - it's a poxy H&S issue ;)

Oh and guys as for wearing it under a smock...... when the collar and shoulders are not attached - apart from the obviously larger plates the new Osprey vest is less bulky than EBA - just chuck your smock on then belt kit, ops vest whatever floats your boat over the top....problem solved.

Alot of guys are using the issue modular ammo pouches on guard when all you need are mags for your weapon - saves standing around with full webbing n vest on .

thats it mate with collar and sleeves attached - most remove them as they are too cumbersome - good for top cover and standing around front gate of camp etc where you are exposed.

BTW the army just ordered 9000 sets of osprey for the infantry after successful trials in Iraq ;) and it's an armour replacement NOT a PLCE replacement - the molle aspect just gives you more options ;)

Archived