Today was the Japanese release day for Marui's newest GBB pistol - the much anticipated 1911.

tm1911.JPG

Fit and Finish

The TM 1911 is a beautiful pistol. When I first saw it in the shop, I was immediately struck by how realistic it looked. Don't let the photos fool you, the finish is very nice and the only thing that belies the plastic constriction is the somewhat shiney plastic out barrel. (Sadly, the flash on my camera accentuates the differences between plastic and metal much more so than is normally visible).

tm1911-3.JPG

TM has been heavily advertising their new "non-parting line" design, and one was left wondering what exactly they meant by this. Well, taking the TM 1911 from the box immediately makes this clear... TM has developed a new manufacturing process that makes the seam lines of the plasic molds almost invisible to the naked eye. Only the closest scrutiny of the 1911's frame will reveal any trace of seam lines.

Also, like TM's M14 series, this pistol is presented in a fabric lined box - providing an attractive appearance and eliminating the initial toy-ish impression often associated with pulling your new airsoft gun from a cheap piece of molded styrofoam.

tm1911-24.JPG

The finish is very nice (much better than it appears in the photos) and is a very passible immitation of a parkerized finish. The slide markings are deeply imprinted, and even have a slight edge around them, making them slightly raised around the edges of the markings. This makes the trademarks very visible (good luck getting this one through US customs without some putty :waggle: ).

It's clear that TM is recognizing the old addage that you only get once chance to make a first impression - and, despite the very affordable price of only 12,300 Yen (about $110 or 70 GBP), the first impression of the 1911-A1 is that of a serious replica, not just a cheap toy.

Almost all the metal control parts have nice, fine, checking... Including the trigger, safety, slide release, mag release, recoil spring plunger, and mainspring housing. Not enough to feel rough or to abrade skin or clothing, but enough to prived a decent non-slip texture.

The parts all fit tightly, with little or no rattle, but move smoothly. The trigger is one of the lightest GBB triggers I've felt, rivaling even some of the high-end WA 1911s I've used. And, unlike the KSC 1911, the parts have enough resistance that they snap into place with a postive feel.

The hammer rolls back smoothly, clicking into both half and full-cock positions with faint, but audible, clicks. The safety snaps on and off - again, faintly, but with enough of tactile and audible notice that you'll recognize if you've changed the position.

And, although, the parts are tightly fit, no tools are necessary for field stripping this pistol.

tm1911-16.JPG

tm1911-19.JPG

The included bushing wrench is a nice touch, but is unnecessary for actual field-stripping or maintenance. However, it does have an innovative magazine loading impliment built in, to assist in reloading BBs. The usefulness of this impliment is questionable, with the proliferation of new thumb-action speed-loaders that have hit the market in the past couple years, but it's a thoughtful and nifty feature none-the-less.

Function

Recoil is impressive. Sharp and snappy, like the TM Sig 226. This is nice from the perspective of being a nice, strong recoil to feel, but it loses points (in my mind) as it is hardly similar to the real recoil of a 1911. (I feel the new J-Armory 1911 is much more realistic in this regard). This is surprising since TM uses a rubber recoil buffer and rear-lipped recoil-spring plunger design, very similar to those of the WA or J-Armory 1911s. Why such a similar design has such a different feel leaves me thinking this may be related to the J-Armory using the WA Magna-Tech gas system, while TM is using their own, tried and true, gas system.

Sadly, I've not yet had the chance to test accuracy and performance, so will update this soon with a full a review. Info about accuracy, gas consumption/capacity, and more photos will be included. If there's anything special you'd like to know, please feel free to ask.

tm1911-12.JPG

In closing, I must say - TM has done a wondeful job on their new 1911, and have (once again) lived up to their reputation. The TM 1911 is an affordable and very nice 1911, and should serve well as either a field gun or the base for the (inevitable) slew of full-metal kits that will surely follow.

You only have one chance to make a first impression... And TM has made a hell of a first impression with this pistol!

Edited by (V)atrix
That's single stack versus double stack, so I highly doubt it.

Your logic is iffy their mate, the STI and Infinity which the Hi Cappa is based off are basically double stack versions of the 1911 hence the name 2011. The slide are interchangable. All WA 1911/2011 slides are interchangable theirfore the TM Hi Cappa and the TM 1911 should be. If not TM has missed a trick their, as their are already loads of metal Hi Cappa Slides out their that should fit straight onto this gun.

Your logic is iffy their mate, the STI and Infinity which the Hi Cappa is based off are basically double stack versions of the 1911 hence the name 2011. The slide are interchangable. All WA 1911/2011 slides are interchangable theirfore the  TM Hi Cappa and the TM 1911 should be. If not TM has missed a trick their, as their are already loads of metal Hi Cappa Slides out their that should fit straight onto this gun.

The 1911 is single stacker, thats why the mag is paper thin, and that's why the mags won't be interchangeable.

edited for spelling and grammer.

Edited by hardboiledcop