Eagle CIRAS Review

Titleist

Ciras_07.jpg

Eagle Combat Integrated Releasable Armor System (CIRAS) Land Version

The old rig i used was a BHI Strike Recon harness, and while for the money it did the job, it slopped around a lot and didn't do that good of a job distributing the weight, I also found it very hard to get it exactly setup for me once, and then to retain those settings again once taking it off.

I purchased my vest through Triad Tactical, and make no mistake, this is not a cheap rig. Brand new from Triad Tactical the vest cost me about 480 dollars. The biggest issue is that these vests go in and out of stock almost daily, as Eagle, now one of the primary gear suppliers for the armed forces, is under incredible demand. Obviously that said the CIRAS seems to be a really popular vest these days, a few companies offer their own copies of the CIRAS, in both the Land and Maritime version. The differences between the two are the way they are assembled. The Land version is secured through a center flap at the belly level, with both sides of the cumberbunds locking underneath that center flap. The Maritime uses a similar system, but on the right side of the vest.

As the name implies it's a releasable system; the way this works is that the shoulder straps, internal cumberund, external cumberbund, and sling (in my case a Blue Force Gear SOC sling) are attached using grommits to set their position for the user. A dacron (a loop of nylon secured with a washer) pokes through these lined up grommits, then a long steel cable that runs from the front of the vest, up through the shoulders and down through the dacron secures everything in place. To be honest I felt pretty retarded when I first looked at all the parts on my bed, but once I got it together it makes perfect sense. The core idea is that by tugging on the cable release, either through the bottom (near the belly) or on the left side, it unthreads the dacron and the whole vest can be ripped apart in seconds. The idea being that if your vehicle was hit / on fire you could evac quicker, or if your helicopter was hit you could ditch from the vehicle and not be a human anchor. The usefulness in airsoft is umm....not very much. That said it's a very modular system and allows for more adjustments than most conventional vests.

Now that I vomitted all that info out, let me say this, this is the most comfortable vest I have ever worn, considering how much stuff I have on it I don't feel weighed down, as it distributes the load evenly and when setup properly is well padded and does not cut into like the Strike.

Ciras_01.jpg

Currently on the vest I have:

3x BHI Double Mag Pouches

1x HSGI Quad Pistol Mag Pouch

1x Emdom SAF Admin Pouch

1x BHI Double Pistol Mag Pouch

1x Maxpedition Rollypoly Dump Pouch

1x Tactical Tailor Medical Pouch

1x BHI Hydrostorm Carrier

1x BHI Radio Pouch

1x Emdom General Purpose Pouch.

Ciras_02.jpg

Ciras_03.jpg

Almost all of my pouches were obtained over the past 2 years, not specifically for this vest of course, however the one thing you'll notice is that it's easy to get a case of Molle Overdose, in that you'll have a LOT of mounting spots, and a lot of reasons to get more pouches. I also greatly appreciate the shoulder pads, which helps a LOT with the weigh of the vest. Fully loaded this vest is easily 10lbs or more. The shoulder pads also provide a routing system for radio cables and water tubes.

That said as a plate carrier you'll have to get either the fake SAPI plates (or real ones if you've got money to burn) and/or soft armor. I use the SAPI replica plates (medium size) which stiffen the vest up in terms of shape and structure. This is important as if you do not the vest will sag and not bear the weight evenly. I also made some soft armor inserts, which help wit the side panels. The simplest way to do this is to get some camping mat, or high density foam, costs about 10 dollars, and trace the shape of the front and back panels, insert behind the SAPI plates and you're done. The end result is a snugger fit. That said this vest definitly has a tight grip on you, that said the vest should be adjusted so it's not tight, but allows the user to take a full breath without restriction.

Ciras_06.jpg

The one thing to note is that Eagle's Khaki is a mix between standard Tan and OD, in that it's brown, but in the right light is has an OD tint to it. They do this by weaving in OD into the fabric, which makes it a more natural color and it also plays fantastically with my DCUs, ACUs, and Multicam Uniform. The vest is also very easy to move in, with very little restriction in movement. This would be what's called a blackside rig, greenside is where action is not expected, whereas blackside is a direct action rig (where you expect to get shot at), and because of that it is bulky. But not so much that it becomes a burdeon.

The only other thing I am adding to this vest is my TCI Liberator II headset, which will run the PTT cables through the right shoulder strap and on to the admin pouch. I am also going to move the radio from the shoulder to my left side so I can more easily manipulate it, however I'm leaving the antenna on the right shoulder. The way I'm doing this is by using a TCI M.A.S.T system, which extends the antenna from the radio, up a 24" cable to a antenna which attaches via a MALICE clip. A pretty cool setup, one which I'll photograph once I get it setup.

Ciras_04.jpg

Ciras_05.jpg

Obviously I'm going to recommend this vest, I hear good things about the PROUD copy, but this is a vest that will last for years of hard use, it's a fantastic design, and if you can swing the cost of this, or appreciate great stitching and an eye for quality material than this is well worth the cost of admission. Also you can find these used for about 350, I was going to pick one up used, but unfortunately got taken for a ride by a flakey seller, for which I'm still waiting on a refund. Whatever. Anyways, great vest, it's definitly hardcore gucci, but damn if it's not great gucci.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BHI = Blackhawk Industries

HSGI = High Speed Gear, Inc.

I love my CIRAS, too. One correction though - you say the Maritime has a similar system to the Land, but on the right hand side. Not strictly correct. It has a similar system on both sides. The side panels are in two layers attached to the front of the vest, stitched across the top so you can lift the outermost one upwards (like the flap on the front of the Land). The 'pocket' of sorts that is formed is lined with MASSES of velcro. The back of the vest has the outer cummerbund attached to it, like the Land, but much shorter and devoid of PALS (instead it is covered, and I mean COVERED, with velcro on both sides). To secure the sides of the vest, you lift up the flap part of the front side panel, pull the rear part forwards and secure it with the velcro as tight as you want it. You then put the top flap down over it to secure it in place.

Sorry if that's wordy - it's very, very easy when you have one in front of you :)

The Land version looks lovely, but as you say, possibly PALS overkill. I have no need for that room on my rig, but each to his own :)

Is that an Emdom admin panel on the bib area, by the way?

Oh, one final thing. If you try releasing the vest with the Camelbak tube through the shoulder area, it'll screw it all up, since the vest can't part cleanly on that shoulder. I do the same - I'm never going to need to release it - but it's worth noting :)

HaVoc, you're correct, I don't have the Maritime version so I didn't do a correct explanation of how that worked, thanks for the correction on that. Yeah you're right, it is a bit overkll on the attachment points, frankly owning one compells you add more stuff to it, might be a downside for some people. hehe.

Yeah it's an Emdom admin, I love it, I keep a spare battery for my Icom radio in the small pouch, and the PTT will attach to the velcro of the admin pouch. As I said I'll move the radio near the Rollypoly and use the M.A.S.T to get the antenna up for good line of sight.

But yeah I'm VERY happy with the CIRAS, this vest seems to be all the rage these days, but it's earned it.

I find it to distribute load better than any other vest, which balances out the relative bulk for me.

I'm putting a Paraclete Signal pouch on the bib of mine - I want to keep it pretty clean up there so as not to interfere with cross-shoulder stuff (which I do quite a lot), but storage for batteries (a pair of CR123a and 4 AA) and a little map of the site (for a couple of my sites, anyway) would be useful.

I knew the BH part, but didn't know what's the I part. So is this color ok with it

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_detail.as...duct_id=2738&d=,

The Tan/Khaki colours are all a little different. I run BHI M4 doubles on my OD CIRAS and the colour match is actually pretty good, so maybe BHI use a similar coloured Cordura for their Tan pouches too. It's not going to look odd even if their Tan is much lighter - it'll just break up the outline some more :)

I'm only running soft armour at the moment. It sits fine on me, but I'd like some SAPIs to stiffen it up a bit sometimes. That said, I'll still get equivalent pics of my MAR-CIRAS sometime soon, so people can compare the designs :)

dwade that should be just fine, I am using STRIKE M4 mag pouches on mine. Blackhawk calls them Coyote Brown, but they blend in perfectly to the Khaki of the Eagle CIRAS. What's on my vest is a mix between Khaki, CB, and Tan pouches. For example the Emdom stuff is slightly browner than anything else, even though it's called CB, whereas the HSGI Khaki is noticeably lighter than the Tac Tailor Khaki. It's a crapshoot to be honest.

And I completely agree with HaVoC, this distributes weight so well that even with 6-7lbs of mags on me, water, batteries, and whatnot I'd call the weight noticeable but comfortable. Whereas my STRIKE rig, after about 2-3 hours would cause an ache in my lower back.

Also HaVoC, I saw your +1 and your comments and I totally agree you should take photos of your maritime vest in the same angles as mine, so people can see a side by side between the two. I almost when maritime, but opted for the Khaki since that's what Triad Tac had in stock.

Great review Titleist.  I always wondered how the release system worked, and now I do. The only problem is that now I'm not sure I want to get the Blackhawk rig, but I can't afford one of these.

-Jake

P.S. And your rig looks fantastic.

Here are some high quality,low price rig land pouches for it

Plate Carriers

MOLLE Pouches

Here are some high quality,low price rig land pouches for it

Plate Carriers

MOLLE Pouches

Thanks. I am familiar with OP Tactical, and have looked at the TAG plate carrier before, but the theres something about the positioning of the PALS webbing i dont like. I plan on getting some of the TT 7.62mm single puches from OP and various others, but choosing a platform is proving difficult.

-Jake

awesome review Titleist!

I like the way you setup that CIRAS.  How about some pics with you in MC?

Sure, probably this weekend though, but I'll put on the MC and snap a photo.

There's also this: http://skdtac.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=46

Non-releaseable CIRAS, I would have snagged one if it didn't have that big velcro on the front (therfore losing the molle on the chest) and if it was offered in Khaki/CB. However in august I may pick one up in Ranger Green, and build a loadout for 7.62, but that's WAY low on my priority lists these days.

p.s, glad you guys like the review!

great little review titliest. CIRASs are one of those peices of dream gear that gosh golly darn i wish i could afford..

and to the person who mentioned the Eagle PC w/ cumberbund..although very different then the CIRAS, IMO its a great great piece of kit if you dont want to spring 500 bucks

Apologies right now for repeating Titleist's images. However, it's the best way of getting a proper side-by-side comparison.

Also apologies for the photos, which aren't the very best since it's not a great day for pics.

Oh, and it looks a bit, err, flaccid with the SAPI plates in, hence the back panel bending some under the weight of the radio. Soft armour doesn't help much.

LAND VERSION:

Ciras_07.jpg

MARITIME VERSION:

IMG_2975%20copy.jpg

IMG_2977%20copy.jpg

Two shots, showing the side cummerbund attachment velcro flaps - closed (top) and open (bottom).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAND VERSION:

Ciras_01.jpg

MARITIME VERSION:

IMG_2987%20copy.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAND VERSION:

Ciras_02.jpg

MARITIME VERSION:

IMG_2991%20copy.jpg

LAND VERSION:

Ciras_03.jpg

MARITIME VERSION:

IMG_2994%20copy.jpg

...CONTINUES BELOW...

Archived