SHORT review; MARUI 1911A1 - opinions/observations

I have had one week with the new MARUI 1911A1......I thought I would address some questions about the gun, and make direct comparisons to other pistols (that you have asked about).

Let me preface all comments by saying I'm a rabid collector of gas pistols and have owned just about everything you could think of. My past collections consisted mostly of every Beretta model that Western Arms produced including all the variations (Perfect models, Black Polymer versions, Premium versions. and Plated/INOX versions). I also owned several WA 1911 models, including all metal customized INFINITY models - in short, their best.

I supplemented my collection with many KSC models, and custom TANAKA revolvers, and even "oddballs" like old MGC's, the Hudson Jericho, and Maruzen pistols. My point? My following opinions are not based on just "one or two" pistols that I have owned, but many. I find that online reviews can be useless at times, especially when their review starts with "This is my first gas blowback pistol".

Here is what I think.

Short review?

It is the first "must own" pistol since the KSC G19. All things considered - including price - its just that good.

Is it as good as the KSC G19?

Yes, in almost every respect. I compare to the KSC G19 because, let's face it, its performance is Godly right out of the box (Not all KSC's are that good). It recoils as hard as the G19 on propane - perhaps harder. The G19 has a sharp popping kick - the sound is more like a "clack". The Marui 1911 is a deeper lower frequency pop (quite loud) and offers a solid and LIVELY kick. Impressive.

How is the range?

Most talk about accuracy but no review has addressed range. This will keep up with a KSC G19 all day long, easily outranging many electric rifles. Using KSC perfect bb's and propane, I was easily able to hit beer bottle size targets at over 75-100 feet. While it's maximum range is over twice that.

The Marui 1911 absolutely slays every Western Arms pistol I have owned in shot to shot accuracy and DISTANCE. You would throw rocks at a M9 Perfect Model after firing this thing. No contest. MARUI has a hopup system that actually works.

How are the seams and all this talk about the new molding process?

It still has seams - better than in the past, but there are still there. I wasnt impressed by this "new process"......early reviews had me expecting something incredible. There are still mold seams.

Is it too light? I hear mixed opinions about the weight?

My opinion is that indeed it is a tick too light. Especially noticable without the mag installed. Meanwhile that KSC (Japan) G19 is just soooooo "substantial" in your hand, with the heavyweight frame.....even with NO mag installed.

Is it a "Gas pig"?

Yes. It is a small price to pay for the power and kick it has. I recall many of my customized WA's with "high flow everything" not being able to empty a whole mag. I didnt care then, and I dont care now. The power right out of the box on Propane is fantastic, and that is what I am after. I load only 18 rounds into the mags - It gets off all 18 at full power. I just keep several (4) mags.

My particular gun cant empty a whole magazine on one charge of propane - 20-22 is all I can get off. Again, not a problem in my opinion.

Final thoughts and comments?

Buy one.....I also own the disappointing KSC 1911, the Marui is a far better gun. This is the first time I have felt 100% satisfaction in the purchase of a GBB pistol in a long, long time. I'm ecstatic about the performance. I was even giggling at that BEAUTIFUL cloth lined box.....I feel like I got my money's worth - and then some . At only $130.00 (US) delivered with a free BB loader? It's a no-brainer.

Expect lots of metal kits coming our way - transforming this gun into a future "icon" in gas pistols. Im sure of it.

~

Edited by rottenotto

Oh, I think you're going to love it, weasel. ;)

I haven't tried 134 in the gun (and probably wont), but it's a monster on propane.

Bear in mind, that this week where I live, there has been a "heat wave" (temps above 95 degrees everyday).

That would contribute to 2 things; 1) the raw power and 2) not being able to get through a full mag of bb's before losing "oomph". The ambient temp is really messing with the performance.

18-20 shots is what I have been able to get out of the gun on one mag charge - at "Full Tilt" power.

Have you tried the 5.1 Hi-Capa? Because from what I've read (incl. your review) it seems that the new TM 1911 is the same thing with a single stack magazine and old looks. As a skirmish pistol I would think the Hi-Capa is superior. Not because of magazine capacity (which is okay even in single stackers), but the size of the gas reservoir. No, I'm not talking about shots until refill, but the cooldown effect and other factors where a larger reservoir is nothing but superior to a smaller one.

-Sale

Hi Guys

The gun suffers from NO cooldown affect. It just uses lots of propane and has a small reserve - being a single stacker. The summer heat is really causing it to blow through the green gas, a tick faster. That's all.

On my particular sample of the 1911A1, it stomps at "full tilt" for 20ish shots, then "poot, sss", on the next shot. Its just plain out of gas. Its power is actually QUITE efficient and consistent. However, it's consumption is high. (At least this week).

As for a comparison to the fictitious Hi-capa, I bought this gun for its AWESOME and genuine trademarks, and as a great replica of the real 1911A1. The Capa is a great gun - there's just nothing there for the collector.

I didn't buy all those WA Berettas for the performance! ;) It's all about genuine trademarks and details with me.

For a WW2 reinactor and enthusiast, there really is no other option - at least to me. The MARUI 1911A1 is the gun I have been waiting for. It simply does more things, better - better than KSC or WA.

~

As for a comparison to the fictitious Hi-capa, I bought this gun for its AWESOME and genuine trademarks, and as a great replica of the real 1911A1. The Capa is a great gun - there's just nothing there for the collector.

I didn't buy all those WA Berettas for the performance!  ;) It's all about genuine trademarks and details with me.

~

It's not that fictitious, if they repaced the marking with STI one's it would be a pretty accurate replica. I myself like as accurate a copy as possible aswell though, so despite my Hi Cappa performing great I sold it about a month after I bought it. Might get a 4.3 and add a STI Gripframe and slide then it'll be a pretty good copy of the STI Tactical Lite.

could you let us know when you slide will blow up after all that propane

or do you know something we dont

It's a TM, not a WA, as such I believe they have a greater tolerance of Propane.. also many of the retailers quote fps figures with propane as opposed to their hard line on WA and propane and how it will kill your gun.

could you let us know when you slide will blow up after all that propane

or do you know something we dont

It indeed is a TM, not a WA......I have run propane in all my pistols.....I have an old TM Tacmaster that has seen nothing but green/propane for years. Still going strong.

Meanwhile all those WA's I had? Forget about it!! Every WA Beretta I had, quickly developed the dreaded WA "double tap" after running on Propane. Also, the loose bodies/slides got even looser. Looking back, what junk.

But even so, I have never "broken" a slide. .....Ever.

At present, I have fired over 100 propane filled magazines through this Marui 1911. And it runs like a champ. Tight - solid - perfect.

Just a damn GREAT gun. Brilliant. ;)

~