Chinese Tibetan Flecktarn

Jagdraben

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was outbid with literally seven seconds to go

You should always bid just over the nearest ten not just under, I always go for 3.73, myself. That wauy you avoid the I'll bid a tenner lot, bidding just under really is limiting your chances.

If the guy gets anymore I'll have to get a set.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys - Henrik Clausen (author of the awesome camo collection website) has put me in touch with a different guy in China (not Hong Kong) who he says is very reliable.

This chap has written an email to me and he has some interesting things to say:

i am Richard. freidn of Henrik in Danmark,

also the supplier of tibet flecktarn for him and other collectors of camouflage uniforms in US//

the real army issue tibet flecktarn is made with twill ,just issue for the troops station in tibet and surround area,,,

recently there is another rip stop version adn with shoudler patch, it is not offical issue,,,

so if you guys want the tibet flectarn suits, pls advise the quantioty and size u need..

there is no flectarn hat fo rthis suit , just the green fleece winter hat,,

i am also a collector of combat unifdorms of US military.....so i prefer trade with u for ACU and Marpat , or shirts in VN era...:))

also we are manufacturer of military uniforms and re enact uniform slike m42 jump suit, german peas camo suits,,,,

;)

Wow. Mr. Clausen has much better net-writing than this Richard fellow.

I got my RK-103 and an RPK (or AK) four-mag pouch with shoulder strap today, so hopefully my Sinotarn shouldn't be too long in coming. Also: my source has offered to purchase Sinotarn caps the next time he goes to China. So. Yeah. Anyhue.

Personally, I'm not really fussed if its official issue or not - I'm not interested in collecting it, I'd want to use it.

If the rip-stop stuff is available in Western sizes and is less expensive I'd take it.

By the way, is that the eBay guy who's talking about getting the hats and so on?

I'd be interested in getting a set, but a worry I've got about it not being issue stuff, is that I've seen reproduction dot pattern camos that were just a small square of dots repeated over and over again and it looks a bit cack.

I'd be willing to jump on this, but only if I could really get a picture of the repro stuff if that's what's being bought. If we would be buying real stuff I care less. Also, price?

The info I got is the following...

The left uniform is the 2004 version issued to boarder guards, made from ripstop material, plastic buttons and with the addedd patches. The uniform on the right is the 2003 version issued to troops in Tibet - thicker material, no patches, metal buttons. Apart from the material there is no difference - both have the same cut, colour and the same red markings inside. It may well be that the 2004 version is a repro (as the black buttons don't have the CPLA logo), but colourwise there is no difference.

OK, finally got the Sinotarn.

My thoughts:

-The stitching is a little bit on the loose side. It's no where near as tight as on my Tru-Spec OVTS.

-The trousers are a little tight and a little short, but that's OK, seeing as a 77inch tall, 243 lbs. Caucasian is wearing them. The trousers fit better than my Deutschestarn, in any case.

-The flag and rocker/scroll seem to be both glued and stitched to the jacket, which might make removing them difficult.

-The waist ties are a nice addition, seeing as how baggy the jacket is.

-The green is actually pretty blue. I might have to wash it with some greens to get the blueness down.

-There is one zipper-closed breast pocket that could easily be reach with the right hand. It seems to be designed for one to reach into, even while wearing a ballistic jacket, like the MCCUU and the ACU.

-There are all manner of holes and loops for the attachment of badges, jump wings, &c. (Two loops on the right arm, under the PLA scroll, two pairs of 'parawing' holes on the right breast, and one pair of 'parawing' holes on the left.)

-My Coyote Brown flight gloves match the coloration of the brown in the Sinotarn perfectly.

-One should have no problem wearing a hooded sweater or jacket under the jacket.

All-in-all I'm quite pleased with it, even if it might not actually be worth more than, say, $75US for the set (unusual cut, lots of zippers, but poor stitching).

Excepting the flag and scroll, it's perfect for my freedom fighter load-out. Pics to come.

It sprang fully-formed from Zeus's skull. ;)

After I lost the eBay auction, I contacted the seller and he offered to buy me a set to sell to me when next he went to China. Which was really soon after the auction ended.

EDIT: Oh, and the scroll is glued, and the PRC flag is stitched to the arm. So I should be able to put a Vinlandic or American flag on that sleeve.

Also, and I just noticed this, the khaki/tan is pretty pink.

Archived