Trigger pressure Mk.23 LAM switch

happy_cake

ok the title may not have been too clear... well maybe.

basically, i wanna mod a SOCOM and its LAM (the TM NBB one) so the LAM turns on when you pull the trigger down slightly, then for it to go off again when you either pull the trigger past a certain distance (say just before the hammer falls and a shot is fired) or when you release the trigger again. obviously i'm going to mod the LAM's laser unit so its actually functional, not too fussed about the torch part but if i get the chance i might, and incorporate a laser/torch/both switch like one i read about on another forum. but anyway, my best idea for it so far is this-

get a follower from/for a scalextric car and cut it in half, so i have 2 copper strips+ a viable method of connecting them to a wire, cut the plastic down so its just enough to hold the copper and wire together. then attach one copper strip to the top of the trigger, where it rotates on its axle inside the gun. take the other one and bend it into a U shape to prevent it catching anywhere. i may use a normal copper strip for this though. then position it so when you pull the trigger gently, the top part of the trigger rotates forward, and creates a contact. the wires connected to these contacts will exit the inside of the weapon via a small hole at the part where the trigger guard meets the frame towards the muzzle end of the gun, and a hole directly opposite that will be made in the LAM, and one of the wires from the battery will be cut and joined to the wires from the gun. the wires from the gun will be connected to ones from the LAM via small connectors, similar in a way to AEG battery connectors, only a lot smaller so i can remove the LAM easily.

if you understood it, do you think that would work? its quite a cheap mod in itself (the laser/light mod notwithstanding) and would conserve the LAM battery very well as it would only be on at the moment you need it, and off before you've even taken the shot, which may seem strange and all but think about it, do you check your aim like 1/10th of a second before you fire? the point is, you press the trigger gently, the laser comes on. you aquire your target, pull the trigger, and there you go, its fired where you wanted it to go.

unfortunately, i havent actually got a SOCOM yet because airsoft armoury were sold out when i went there to get one, but as soon as i've got one i'll be able to check a few things, i.e. that there's room (if there isnt i can always adapt), that its an accessible spot, and finally if the safety is anything like a real SOCOM you have to have the hammer in the cocked position, which in some handguns (maybe all) causes the trigger to move back, which would lead to the laser being on constantly. one solution to this i've already figured out is modifiying the switch to have 3 positions, on, off and storage momentary (which would be the trigger thing).

has anyone else out there tried this, or thought about it only to find it wouldnt work? any info would be greatly appreciated, as well as feedback as to whether this is a good idea, a bad idea or just a pointless one, not saying i'll act on all of it, i mean if you were to say its a bad idea but dont provide a reason, then no one's gonna care, are they?

cheers

thats a very good idea and all and you seem to have feasible way of doing it but i think you'll find that LAM lasers are activated by a pressure pad or in the socom LAM units case a big pad/botton on the left hand side of the unit,however if you want to do the method you sujested i would be very keen to see how it turns out as it sounds like a grate idea :)

i'll work around all that somehow... i did get a C (yes, thats right, a C) for my electronics GCSE! but it doesnt really say much, i can do anything electrical that doesnt involve complicated maths... but yeah, it'll be a while though, i've got to get the gun first, but that should be within the next week, and then i've got to find the time to do it too. but thanks very much, it should be good... should be. if it isnt i'll end up ruining a perfectly good warrantee, but any holes in the gun can be filled up again if i have to abort it i guess.

IMO, it's hardly worth the effort.

A light or laser needs to be on before you pull the trigger in order to fulfill its purpose.

It's far easier to flick a switch then enter a room than it is to squeeze a trigger an maintain that pressure while aiming or searching a room.

If you must have something fancier than this, what's wrong with a pressure switch?

its easier to turn it on, yeah, but it wastes battery power (ok, so its like nothing really) and in the 'heat of combat' i'd probably forget to turn it off. i considered a pressure switch, but its a bit of a waste of money as far as i'm concerned, plus i've always thought guns dont look as good if they've got a velcro or elastic strap around the grip holding a fairly large pressure switch in place, and at least this way the grip isnt altered in the slightest, and anyway even if it did prove difficult or if i couldnt be arsed with it, i could use the conventional turn on, aim, fire, turn off as well.

not having a go, but at least its original and not another FAMAS facelift/AEG conversion! no offence to people who have done any of those, they pretty much all look good except P-90 to F2000 conversions... and its cheap, well its pretty much free, the only money i'm gonna spend on the LAM is for the laser mod and some connectors... thats all. and if it doesnt work i'll just remove the whole mod and either seal the hole with quiksteel or just never take the LAM off.

and its not like its the most pointless mod ever, its simple (in theory) and should work ok, but i guess only time will really tell. i would understand people thinking it being pointless to the extent that it shouldnt be done if i was spending exorbitant amounts of cash on it, but i'm not. and i probably didnt make it too clear, i dont mean squeeze the trigger like 50% of the way you need to fire a round, i mean like very light pressure. plus i'm not planning on leaving it turned on for long, which is the point in making a trigger pressure switch, really.

I actually made a thing like this to my NBB Hardballer. I used I swich that is in the OFF position when pushed down. I took a few photos to show you guys how I did it.

OFF

post-123-1105452737_thumb.jpg

ON

post-123-1105452863_thumb.jpg

The battery was almost dead so the laser isn't very bright. The laser, the battery and other bits costed total of 15 euro. You could probably replase that led in the socom LAM unit with a similar laser module.

Archived