Building the Beryl Model 1996

tmas

I've been searching around for awhile for a custom gun to make and may have just stumbled upon an awesome choice, the Beryl Model 1996, used by the Polish Army. Based of an AKM, chambered in 5.56 mm NATO, and manufactured in the Polish factory of Radom. I'm half-Polish and would love to finally have a Polish designed weapon to go with my soon to be purchased Polish Pantera camo.

I think the best thing to do would be to buy either a G&G RK104 or ICS AK74M, and put a LR300 stock on it to begin with. Looking at the pictures on militaryphotos.net, there seems to be very few other external changes, but I know very little about AK's, so if anyone has any apparent problems or suggestions, please tell me.

http://www.army.mil.pl/strona_en/kaleidosc...ured/beryl.html

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

somebody mentioned this gun as a project to me, he might know how to do it well, as he knows plenty about AKs in general, and i think hes actually polish

think his names jonboy, you can find him in the ak picture thread

found him for you, cos im nice (and bored)

jonboy2312

I've been searching around for awhile for a custom gun to make and may have just stumbled upon an awesome choice, the Beryl Model 1996, used by the Polish Army.

A guy in Poland has built two custom Airsoft replicas of Tantal, another modern AK47 variant manufactured in Poland.

tantale.jpg

I guess he could do a Beryl as well. I don't know him personally, he posts to one of Polish Airsoft forums.

I guess he could do a Beryl as well. I don't know him personally, he posts to one of Polish Airsoft forums.

Ah, Flacha :) . Yep, he showed it on WMASG a couple of times.

Jonboy is working on converting a Cyma 028 to AKM, at least that's what he showed on our forum lately - using real-steel AKM bolt cover (according to him, it's 5 mm too short). Anyway, this guy works wonders with entry-level AEGs - or rather discovers rather obvious things most people don't bother with. Example? Fitting a front (foregrip, barrel, front sight, muzzle) and stock from a 16-series Well springer to a R6. It even worked.

And about Beryl - it also has a full auto/short burst selector on the left side of the body. Read - it may be problematic to include this one.

And about Beryl - it also has a full auto/short burst selector on the left side of the body. Read - it may be problematic to include this one.

I'm the one who is making Tantals from Ak and SLR

about Beryl and selector on the left side:

project is still in progress-for now this is an economic version

it's not very easy to do but it doesn't mean it is imposible

A guy in Poland has built two custom Airsoft replicas of Tantal, another modern AK47 variant manufactured in Poland.

tantale.jpg

I like that handguard on the bottom one :-) It's so....ghetto (not in the cool way, but in the I-have-to-hold-my-glock-sideways-'cause-my-magcatch-is-busted sorta way.

LR300 stock is folding to the left as the Beryl stock is folding to the right...I am on the same project to have the correct weapon for my pantera pustynna outfit ;)

Next problem is the flashhider which is unique for the Beryl.... I get one milled ;)

And another problem: Beryl has semi burst and fullauto....

LOL, looks like this project is getting popular :D

Thanks for the kind words, though it's really no big deal - just passion and too much free time on my hands :)

Anyway, the afore mentioned AKMS (actually, something of an "AKMSN" wannabe) is now sold ( http://www.allegro.pl/item117632394_custom...oryginalu_.html ) and it's time for me to take on another project, perhaps the most challenging so far.

Previously I've made an M16A4 out of a Well R6, I've built a Diemaco C7 for my Canadian wife (from the ground up!) using CA and G&P externals, CA, Guarder, Systema internals... and a lot of custom work...

Now it's time for the holy grail of airsoft in Poland - the M96 Beryl... And I'm in the same pinch as you guys.

My 'base' for the entire conversion is an SLR-105. The ICS has too many errors as a replica (the pistol grip is all wrong...). The receiver, receiver cover, mag, grip, gas tube and gas block all match the Beryl perfectly.

There is some slight difference in the front sight post, but I've figured out a way to move the bayonet lug to its proper place by cutting out a ring from the sight post base and fitting the ring with the bayo lug in there, chopped off from the back. That will create a perfect likeness of beryl's front sight post.

The toughest part is, indeed, the stock, and I'm considering two options - a dummy stock built from scratch using aluminum pipes (non-folding, just pretending), and a proper folding stock. I think I'll start with a simple dummy stock, bring its looks to perfection, and only then figure out a way to install a hinge. I'm thinking of adapting the hinge from a chinese Norinco sidefolder - those stocks, originating from chinese AKs, are commonly available on.... cheap airguns! In fact, the stock resembles that of a Beryl a little bit, but definitely not enough. It does, however, fold to the right and it should be easy to recycle the hinge. mounting it into the airsofr receiver will require some alterations, but eventually it should sit there tightly. This is the stock I'm talking about: http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/smith/ak/smithak06.jpg

Barrel extensions are easy... just simple machining and threading.

Handguards - now this requires the real steel part. As the example of the two black tantals above shows, it's possible - the bottom specimen has a set of Beryl handguards "installed" with tape (note in Polish: Nie odsprzedałbyś ich? Pliiiizzzzz? Oddam za nie 2 komplety od SLR i RK-103 i tyle gotówki ile zażyczysz ;) )

However, it's still possible to model such handguards in epoxy, though it requires a lot of patience.

Lowering the selector switch axis would be impossible... but a dummy firing mode selector on the other side of the receiver is easy. The new handguard retention system, in case of CA's SLR, is no more than some modelling work (it would be much more difficult in ICS or G&G with their realistic takedown)

Well, all of the little details mentioned above should, in the end, result in a very convincing likeness of an M96 Beryl in its basic configuration. I'm expecting mine to start taking shape within a month, and I'm hoping to achieve satisfactory completion in two months at most. I'll gladly share photos along the way :)

Is it hard to get real parts? Just found out there is a semi-only Beryl for IPSC purposes. So handguard and stock schould be available.

I also decided to start with a CA SLR. Barrel extension and new flashhider are in progress and internal standard modifications such as a TM motor :D have been finished so far.

And I bought 5 black Star AK74 lowcaps with...surpsie...massive feeding problems. Solved them with some plastic sheet but I might also replace the hopup unit by a TM one.

I am planing to use the system of a Czech folding stock as these swing to the right side of the weapon...the complete stock part itself will be replaced by a custom made unit.

And some impressions :)

mittel-1576.jpg

mittel-4073.jpg

Is it hard to get real parts? Just found out there is a semi-only Beryl for IPSC purposes. So handguard and stock schould be available.

You're talking about the Radom-Sport rifle :) Yup, it has the same handguards on it (but a different, fixed stock), but knowing the manufacturer, spares are probably expensive. They do show up on Allegro sometimes, though... I don't want to know what source, but at least buying them is legal according to our laws :)

My guess would be the earlier, simple foregrips are occasionally sold after the rifles are retrofitted with the new sort that has a vertical grip added. I would, however, imagine that at least some are sneaked out from army warehouses... oh well...

looks like we have a bit of a breakthrough... The "Lucznik" factory sells spares for the Radom-Sport (a civilian IPSC beryl) freely, as long as they are not "crucial" firearm parts, meaning no receiver, no barrel, no bolt etc. If it's just an external part such as a handguard, even a civilian with no permit whatsoever can purchase and own such parts in full compliance of the law and their own factory regulations :)

The unique Beryl handguards are easily available and cost less than 10 bucks each, just under 20 if you want the unique retainer and springs. They would also sell the folding stocks and picatinny rails, but these would be rather pricey...

Their website is www.fabrykabroni.pl , there is an english version as well.

Now, about my own Beryl project - it's just began, I've ordered a 14mm threaded barrel extension made, and I've gotten a lovely sidefolding stock hinge from a Norinco Type 56 S2, its hinge is almost dead on like the one we're looking for for our Beryl projects.

I'll install it on my new SLR-105 as soon as I get the wireframe structure for the stock itself made. Now, the expected completion time for stage 1 (basic infantry beryl M96 with no picatinny rail attachment) is two weeks, at most, starting now.

I'm hoping that my ideas, solutions 9and problems I encounter) will also help other Beryl-project enthusiast. If you've made some progress too - please share! Working on something together should give us the best results, right? :)

Where'd you and your friend get the Polish Camo? I can't find it ANYWHERE.

What do you mean you can't? It's on ebay all the time... http://cgi.ebay.com/Polish-Army-UNIFORM-Ca...1QQcmdZViewItem

Okay, as far as my beryl project is concerned - my SLR 105 arrived, and I love it. Indeed, it's te best choice for the conversion... thick, aluminum body, standard 14mm - thread, plenty of space for a stick battery, and pretty accurate as a replica.

The RK-103 wouldn't have any room for the battery and gutting it would feel terrible... its realistic flash hider thread would be a problem, too. And it doesn't have the required ribbed receiver cover.

The ICS AK-74... that's a big no, terribly inacurate details (the horrid pistol grip, and while the buttplate and flash hider would be removed, but there are still obvious errors in the front sight post and the gas chamber). Terrible replica, and the plastic body (wrapped in a metal sheet, but still plastic). Would probably break if you installed the sidefolding stock...

Now, as we're all aware, there is BARELY any room in the back of the receiver. And what does a real AK need if it's to be a sidefolder? A proper rear truinion. The real truinion won't fit, so.... how about we make our own? :D There is just enough room in the SLR-105 for a block of steel, 25x20x5mm, which will be drilled and threaded for stock installation. Remember we're talking about the Norinco type 56 S2 stock (commonly available together with the chapass chinese XS-B3 airgun ( http://www.funsupply.com/airguns/xsb3comments.html )

stockqw7.jpg

just a small update... I'll send detailed step-by step photos tomorrow. i'm kinda sleepy...

dsc0001ne9.jpg

I have to admit, chopping a brand new, never skirmished rifle up with an electric grinder didn't feel nice at all... But I'll feel a lot better once I drill and thread the 'trunion' part, and install the folding stock permanently.

I've already rewired the 'box to work with a stick battery inside the receiver, too :)

looks like we have a bit of a breakthrough... The "Lucznik" factory sells spares for the Radom-Sport (a civilian IPSC beryl) freely, as long as they are not "crucial" firearm parts, meaning no receiver, no barrel, no bolt etc. If it's just an external part such as a handguard, even a civilian with no permit whatsoever can purchase and own such parts in full compliance of the law and their own factory regulations :)

The unique Beryl handguards are easily available and cost less than 10 bucks each, just under 20 if you want the unique retainer and springs. They would also sell the folding stocks and picatinny rails, but these would be rather pricey...

:mellow:

Available from where?

I'd love to get a Beryl handguard set to 'pimp out' my RK-103 (and so the silly-looking ergogrip won't look so silly on my RK).

:mellow:

Available from where?

www.fabrykabroni.pl :)

Here's another update... I think it's some 50% complete now. I'm still waiting for the real handguard, then I'll throw this lame epoxy immitation away and remove the fake gas tube catch (nonexistent on the Beryl). I'll also replace the stock structure with a custom one, which is now being made...

dsc0014xn6.jpg

dsc0015oa0.jpg

I'll post photos of how I installed the stock in a couple of hours (kinda busy, sorry)

think its possible to buy the beryl commando:

kbk1.jpg

through that website too?

IMHO the beryl commando is teh sech!

Parts for it- sure... You could get the handguards and the stock, and the flash hider - and you could build a mini-Beryl on a slightly extended VFC AKSU or something like that... The gun in the picture is a Mini-Beryl, the name "Beryl-Commando" is now used for a gun similar to Ak-105 (in-between a mini and a full rifle)

Of course you wouldn't be able to buy a whole weapon from them - not unless you have a permit or you're a government - but then there are other procedures, too :)

Allright then... I posted a pic with the dimensions of the steel block that has to be installed inside the receiver before. So I'll just pick up from there...

This is how you install the stock - just drill a hole through the stock's plate and through the steel block. Thread the hole in the block, and make sure to give the hole in the stock plate a conical shape, so that the screw head hides in it completely. Be sure not to make the block ANY bigger than the given dimensions, or the gearbox won't fit! It's a SUPER-TIGHT fit as it is.

dsc0004dr3.jpg

dsc0005rx7.jpg

Now fill the gap with a strong epoxy glue - that will create a strong bind and prevent the stock from twisting or going loose.

Of course, don't forget to rewire the gearbox for a stick battery :)

dsc0008hi9.jpg

dsc0009jf2.jpg

dsc0010zr4.jpg

There - that's all there is to installing the stock hinge (remember - from a cheap Chinese XS-B3 sidecocking airgun - it's an actual Norinco AK stock...). In a few days I'll also describe how to build a more accurate stock frame, as well as take care of all the other minor details :)

Parts for it- sure... You could get the handguards and the stock, and the flash hider - and you could build a mini-Beryl on a slightly extended VFC AKSU or something like that... The gun in the picture is a Mini-Beryl, the name "Beryl-Commando" is now used for a gun similar to Ak-105 (in-between a mini and a full rifle)

Of course you wouldn't be able to buy a whole weapon from them - not unless you have a permit or you're a government - but then there are other procedures, too :)

yeah ... i found out the correct name after i posted :-)

il just have to mail them and ask for prices then! thnx.

and a +1 for your helpfulness and exellent pics!

Archived