Building the Beryl Model 1996

tmas

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey bullzebub, I've found a pic of all three Beryl models!

c03vl1.jpg

That's a mini, a commando, and a standard. Funny thing... it seems the commando uses mini's gas system, rather than the full-size one. That's a major difference from the Ak-105, which has the full-lenght gas system in there...

Hey bullzebub, I've found a pic of all three Beryl models!

That's a mini, a commando, and a standard. Funny thing... it seems the commando uses mini's gas system, rather than the full-size one. That's a major difference from the Ak-105, which has the full-lenght gas system in there...

that actually pretty smart! then you dont need the "krinkov" muzzle device!

and understandable if they made the mini first...

• 2 weeks later...

dsc0001tg7.jpg

My would-be-Beryl now has a long outer barrel that now accomodates a full-size 510mm inner barrel.

What's left to do is a proper flash hider, new stock structure (I've been lazy recently and still didn't get it done), and real-steel foregrip (on its way to me).

I'll remove the fake gas tube retainer when I install the foregrip kit with its unique one-piece retainer, but I think I won't bother trying to install Beryl's unique safety lever. Moving its axis down a centimeter or so would require machining all the levers of the selector mechanism inside, a huge, difficult task. So I'll leave it as it is, as it's really hard to notice on the real-steel Beryl that the safety lever is actually installed lower than usual... I'll just put a fake burst-switch on the other side of the receiver.

A different front sight post would be in order, but until I get the real thing, I'll settle with the AK-74-style one. The gun will still be a striking likeness of an M96 Beryl once I deal with just the foregrip, stock and the flashider.

• 2 weeks later...
DAMN... very nice. I sadly lost the will power (got involved in another project) and money. Good to see my thread came to something.

Awww :( It's a pity... I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get back to this idea, though ;)

Meanwhile, here's more progress:

dsc0001axv3.jpg

Just about the only thing that is still out of place is the stock - but it's only a matter of a week now. more importantly, one handguard set has already arrived, two more are on their way.

dsc0002adj9.jpg

The barell is now a full 510mm, finished with an M4/M16 flash hider... it's not exactly identical, but close enough to the civilian IPSC version. I'll just need to add a narrower protrusion on the front for bayonet and fill up the rear groove.

dsc0003azb1.jpg

The dummy cleaning rod is also gone, replaced with a pemanently glued pin (under the gas block), which serves as a stabilizing pin for the bipod. M96 Beryl no longer has the ability to carry a cleaning rod on it, even though there's still a cleaning rod hole in the handguard retainer... There's also a ring on the barrel in front of the gas block - it also helps keep the bipod in place.

dsc0004adk3.jpg

Note how the gas tube has NO rear retainer nor locking lever. The gas tube cover fits directly into the rear sight block. Once the project is finished, I'll describe it all in detail...

dsc0007abk8.jpg

There's still a number of differences from the real steel version - the front sight post is an AK-74 type, while Beryl has its own, unique post, similar to AKM but with a bayonet lug underneath. The safety switch is an AKM/AK-74 type, while the real Beryl has a unique design, similar but with its axis a lot lower. Also, the burst switch on the other side is still missing. Te front retaines for both handguards are wrong - AKM/AK-74 types, two separate pieces with the upper piece being an integral part of the gas tube. The real Beryl has a new, one piece retainer. All those details, however, aren't very noticeable and do not get in the way of perceiving the gun as a "Beryl". I think it's a pretty good likeness already. I just need to finish the new stock at last...

FINISHED! :D

Whew... I'm aware there are a few minor details that need work, but honestly, they don't really matter - I'll fix them as I stumble upon a proper opportunity. For now, I'm calling this project completed - and I'm quite happy with how it turned out. Seriously, this gun has been my dream ever since I started airsofting...

dsc0017abw1.jpg

dsc0020age1.jpg

dsc0028ayy5.jpg

Of course, I'll keep my promise and explain in detail (with photos) how it's done. Lemme just do some work for my diploma paper first - I have an evaluation on monday.

was it possible to use the hinge from that air rifle?

Oh yes - that's why I got it (and sacrificed a neat airgun...) in the first place. It did require a lot of cutting and grinding. Sparks were flying, and I almost set the garage on fire :wide-eyed:

Then, the stock structure was just welded onto the protrusion on the hinge:

dsc0014ahk8.jpg

More sparks flying... I'm seriously considering naming this gun "Vader": black as night, badass, and born in flames :)

that pic is pure sech!

Thanks! :) It's all thanks to that lovely splotch of light in my backyard, surrounded by shadows of the bushes :) I forgot to turn ISO down, though, and it's a bit messy :(

Here's two more shots - nothing artistic, though.

dsc0023axs6.jpg

dsc0033app9.jpg

• 1 month later...

@ bullzebub

have converted a CYMA 028S into a full-wood Krinkov, am in the process of building a miniberyl from a CYMA 031 which, AFAIK, has a better replication of the front handguard. the stock will have to be scratch-built with PVC pipe, a door hinge, drawer locking fixtures, and some acrylic for the stock trunnion. this is the better choice here in my country since it will be very hard to source real steel parts from Europe or the US.

great work jonboy! learned some lessons from you which will be very useful in my AK quad projec -- a Krink triplet and a Beta Spetz underfolder.

@ bullzebub

have converted a CYMA 028S into a full-wood Krinkov, am in the process of building a miniberyl  from a CYMA 031 which, AFAIK, has a better replication of the front handguard. the stock will have to be scratch-built with PVC pipe, a door hinge, drawer locking fixtures, and some acrylic for the stock trunnion. this is the better choice here in my country since it will be very hard to source real steel parts from Europe or the US.

great work jonboy! learned some lessons from you which will be very useful in my AK quad projec -- a Krink triplet and a Beta Spetz underfolder.

pics!! :-)

Archived