What kind of enviorments are these camouflage

MagicalNinjaBuddy

<quote>So?</quote>

that's true.

DPM has black in and i've seen an 8 man patrol wearing DPM virtually disappear at a distance of about 20 meters in woodland. If you're going to operate in a forested environment where shadows are present (i can't think of a forest where they aren't!) then black isn't a problem, and is actually a good thing.

It only becomes an issue if you're playing in open grassland or areas where black and/or shadows are not naturally present. In that scenario it darkens down your overall shape.

If you're going for a mostly woodland environment, then i'd have to go with DPM or Danish camo, as out of everything i've seen used over the years, those are the two best suited for that environment, imho.

Or if you're REAL serious about how camouflaged you want (and can afford it) then go for Mossy oak Advantage http://www.mossyoak.com/patterns/default.asp?id=6

Looking at the ol' Kamouflage page has a few recomendations for the patterns he asked about IN THE ORIGINAL QUESTION

Splinter

- temperate woodland regions

ACU

- urban areas (i've seen it working well in desert, personaly never seen in woods)

MARPAT

- mountain regions

- tropical woodland/jungle regions

M84

When this guy says stuff about it having black or whatever a lot of guys seemed to jump at the idea he means ACU is the best but im not sure i've seen him say that. ACU might not be the best but there are other camos without black as I think he said such as modern Russian camo's Tigr, flora, vsr which work.

I have seen the ACU used in the temperate woodland, the sort of cover found in most of western europe. It sucks and has now been reclassified as ICU (I see you).

DPM, flecktarn, US woodland and MARPAT work very well and allied with a small amount of tactical field craft will blend you in quite well.

Unlike ACU where you can still see the very light colouration no mater how still you are. You could hide behind things but you can't be very effective hiding all the time.

I would go as far to say that splinter works better than ACU in temperate woodland.

ACU may be good in arid or urban environments but I haven't seen it in those condition so can't comment about its effectiveness.

I like having black colouration in my combats I 'fight' in woodland environments and black turns up in the woods all the time lots of fungus and rot is black so is a lot of woodland mulch.

No black in nature! HA!

My reply to the original question.....

In my home skirmish site, there are several types of camo on show, and this is how I would rank them for effectiveness....

1) Flecktarn

2) British/Dutch DPM

3) Woodland MARPAT

4) US BDU's

5) Olive Drab

190) ACU

Flecktarn is brilliant camo. MARPAT woodland is good at a distance, but very visible to me at 30m. DPM is darn good, but BDU is a little too 'bright' - vivid if you will. The colours are a little too stand out, which maybe a consideration if you are buying as new or unissued BDU. Olive drab is worn occasionally. But ACU, good grief.......! It is like having a large Smurf run at you with a gun......

And while the cleanup crew sorts through the thread, here's some calming background music...

Doo doo do dee doo de dooo Doo doo do dee doo de dooo

Doo doo do dee doo de dooo Doo doo do dee doo de dooo

EDIT: Normal service resumes...

After I purchase my vest, I'm going to need some camouflage to go with it. I'm looking at ACU, Splinter, MARPAT, and Danish M84. I'm going to be in woodland mostly. Suggestions?

That was the original question, not a debate into how effective camouflage is while you're having a dump on the bog. THIS STAYS ON TOPIC, OR I'LL BE LOOKING FOR VOLUNTEERS FOR THE "10% WARNING-7 DAY HOLIDAY IN LIMBO" CLUB (HINT HINT) ;)

NOW....

Back on topic please... :)

posted by zagarol 15th July 2006

Hi went out to a new skirmish site yesterday and got to see some of the examples you gave. In action in a woodland and ferns / general temperature british location.

ACU - Totally ICU baby you could see those boys a mile off. I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Once the photos of the day are up on www.ultimatesirsoft.co.uk I'll see if they got some of the ACU boys in action.

Marpat - Really good in both the Ferns and the woods them boys was hard to see.

M84 - I think a couple of people were wearing this but I am not too sure. Basically on a par with DPM (S95) if that was the stuff they were wearing

Splinter - Nope no idea on this one sorry matey.

And I just chuck in the whole Multi-cam as quite a few of the opp fors were wearing this. - Pretty damned good really certainly in the woodland bits but when we were doing the defence of a Cat 305 digger (That, I think you will find, is on most battlefields  ) The Multi-cam stuff did seem to draw the eye a bit when the Opp fors were moving, not really sure why this was but once the buggers stopped they were indeed nearly invisible (Gits  )

Edit: Oh yeah I think the most successful camo for the day had to go to good old British DPM I think this is probably the best setting for the Camo! Although I have to say my Tigerstripe outfit was very spiffy

(for zagarol as i didn't mean to delete his post ;) )

Archived