Academy L85 review

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is shooting at about 300 fps. The ROF is down on most AEGs because I'm sticking to 7.2v batteries rather than using an 8.4v one. It's a 1700mAh battery, though, so I get about 2500 shots out of a battery. The ROF isn't stupidly low, though.

TBH, I'm probably babying this gun a bit but I'd rather it shoot a little bit slower and softer and also last me a long time, rather than being a beast of a gun for a year and then snuffing it.

I know somethings that some of you should know about...

Systema/CA metalhopup-chamber does NOT fit into the L85. The "pipe", which feeds the bb's from the magazine to the barrel/hopuprubber, is too short.

Though, a famas-hopup fits perfectly. With some modification you can fit a screw on the top of the gun (below the sight) and adjust the hopup with it.

And BTW, Hissin Sid: How can you fit a v2 springguide without any modification? The springguide in the L85 is like the one in the famas. The only way I can think of if that you place a screw behind it, and fasten thje springguide against the "wall" inside the box.

Do you see any 'tracks' for a V2 springguide? :blink:

mechbox.academy.jpg

Thank you all you guys for these informations.

After reading all this, I ordered an Academy L85 from WGC, and I just got hold of a complete FAMAS gearbox (from someone who sold pieces from a broken FAMAS).

As soon as I get the L85, I will get my hands dirty putting in the gearbox (with some adaptation work). If it works well, I think I'll make a post, with comments and pictures of work-in-progress...

I know somethings that some of you should know about...

Systema/CA metalhopup-chamber does NOT fit into the L85. The "pipe", which feeds the bb's from the magazine to the barrel/hopuprubber, is too short.

Though, a famas-hopup fits perfectly. With some modification you can fit a screw on the top of the gun (below the sight) and adjust the hopup with it.

And BTW, Hissin Sid: How can you fit a v2 springguide without any modification? The springguide in the L85 is like the one in the famas. The only way I can think of if that you place a screw behind it, and fasten thje springguide against the "wall" inside the box.

Did I say "unmodified"? (not a challenge btw. I honestly can't remember. :))

TBH, I fitted the old Systema spring guide out of my MP5. It's had a hard life and the "wings" on the edges of the spring guide have worn away. It dropped straight into place in the Academy gearbox.

I tell you what, rather than filing the "wings" off the spring guide, how about drilling a small hole in the correct place on either half of the gearbox?

That'd give the standard V2 spring guide "wings" something to locate in and stop it from moving.

I have no idea if that's feasible or not. The idea just came to me while I was looking at your picture. I've just received a bunch of bits to rebuild my MP5 (after it had an accident) and there's a shiny new spring guide in the box. I might try ripping my L85 to bits again and see if drilling a couple of holes to locate the spring guide is feasible.

Dahut:

Bear in mind that the FA-MAS fire selector is screwed onto the bottom of the gearbox. the same setup is bolted to the SIDE of the L85 gearbox. As I've said before, I guess it might be possible to modify the FA-MAS gearbox but, given the quality of my L85 one, I reckon it's easier to use the L85 shell and just bung the TM internals in it.

And welcome to Arnies forums too. :D

Oh, and remember: The Academy L85 is cr@p. Everybody knows that!!!111 ;)

Edited by Hissing Sid
  • 2 weeks later...

My friend has done alot of modifications on his L85 (changed to marui/systema-internals. He bought a complete famas-box, but used the L85 mechbox-shell. He uses Systema M100 spring right now: ~330 fps). Also, he has changed hopup, modified the magwell (Marui M16-mags fits perfectly). I think he's on his way opening up the fake SUSAT to improve the dot/fix somehting right now :)

I will get my own in 2-3 days now, but I bought alot of parts instead, so most of it will still be from Academy. As Hissing Sid said; Some of the orignalparts are even better than marui.

However: We have taken some photos along the modification, and a 'how-to'-guide will soon be up.

well i came back from after of month of being away and wow! lots of feedback on this whole famas academy L85 idea, unfortunately i just realized my famas isn't marui, but a counterfeit!! some jerk sold me fake stuff for retail price! (nooo!!!) so at any rate im set back in this whole project, (the difference is that the plastic is cheap and no hopup :( however the gearbox seams fine)

best of luck to the guide!

I finally got my L85 this morning, and I give here my first impressions, after having used it in skirmirsh and then opened it.

About the look and feel, I agree with Sid : It's 100% real genuine plastic, standard ABS, but it doesn't look that cheap. Some parts look really cheap, but it's due to the finish, which can easily be fixed. I think it will stand all the abuse an AEG is usually sublitted to, without falling apart et the first bump. The 100% plastic building has however a pig problem : alone, the gearbox is a bit heavier than the rest of the gun (without battery), so all the weight is in the stock, and holding it was very tiring for my right hand and wrist. I think i'll pack some lead bars in the handguard to improve balance.

I tried it by firing a few shots at a tree. I was surprised by the range, far better than what I expected from Sid's review, as I hit without problems target 20 m away, which is as good as my benelli M3 from Marui. I think it's due to the hop-up, which seemed set quite high. The noise is scary, as you actually hear the spring compressing and releasing. It must be quite spindly...

The SUSAT is even worse than I thought, it wobbles and twists easily (the mount is full plastic too), the dot is as large as a head seen from 5 meters. And it's not a real red dot sight: if you move your eye 10 cm to the left, the apparent position of the dot (on a target 5 meters away) will move more than a meter to the right !

After using it in a few games, it handles decently, except from the SUSAT. The RoF is standard, the range correct (but don't expect precision without upgrade). You just need time to adapt to the handling, not only the balance but also the bullpup design : the magazine is quite long (compared to a FAMAS or a AUG), and can be a real nuisance when you must fire from a lying position.

Now to the interesting part : the taking apart.

First potential problem : Nearly all screws are screwed directly to the plastic, and some may not fasten anymore if you unscrew and screw them too many times...

Taking the L85 completely apart is a quite forward job, just remove the screws, and take off first the hanguard, remove the grip, open the receiver, remove the gearbox, then open the handguard support, and remove the barrel, the outer barrel and flame hider.

The barrel is quite particular : Inner barrels are usually thin tubes of brass, easy to bend or flatten, and which can be ruined by the slightest stress. On the L85 Academy, it's a massive aluminium tube, which holds the outer-barrel and flame hider, and prevents the handguard from wobbling. I would not say that it holds together the gun, but not far... This could be a problem if you want to put a precision barrel. I think the best solution would be to find a steel tube to put around the new barrel to hold things as the original one.

The trigger linkage seems to be THE cheap part of the gun, as on mine a split appeared (like the one Sid described) after two mere hours of use...

As to the gearbox I have not opened it yet, but it seems that putting a FAMAS gearbox in the L85 would be rather tricky to do. Not for the fire selector switch, which is fastened to the receiver (you would just need to alter the electric conctats on the gearbox), but for the overall shape of the gearbox : The one on the L85 has a hole where a pin goes through, screw holes for fixing the butt plate, and a cut on the upper part to make place for on of the screws for the SUSAT. TO put in a FAMAS gearbox, you would need to drill these holes, and to drill duraluminium (from which gearboxes are made), you need rather heavy tools...

Soon more to come on the gearbox modifications, with pictures...

right, lo guys

i have beed watchong this thread for some time now, i got the academy SA80 as soon as i read the rievew (literally three days). and i have taken it to a game. stock. no upgrades. out of the box into the game.

i went to electrowerks in london, this site is all indoor and so there are no long firelines so the low MV of the SA80 was not an issue, and it preformed comaendably.

as with all the replies to this thread i must mention the downsides

1: i got shot right down the scope and the glass broke (i didnt even realise it was glass) i disasembled the scope quite easly and removed the glass so now i only have the EBS, but in electrowerks its all CQB so aiming is just a point and shoot affair.

2: i dorpped (and lost) my high cap mag, but i did fall over and skatter myself all over the floor in a very embarrasing way so what do you expect.

3: when the gun is set to fullauto and the trigger is pulled and releaced quickly the first cycle dosent finish properluy, and the spring uncompresses and makes the most horrendus noise.

4:erm, no thats it

now for the good points

1:its an SA80 AEG, its cheap, its bullpup, it looks bitching (etc)

2:the noise it makes is SOOO cool, the fealing of shooting that thing is second best ONLY to the love of a good woman.

3:it unerves your opponent so they make mistakes.

also i'd like to mention that i got a perfect(and i mean perfect) double tap(thats two quick shots on single shot for those who dont know) at about 10 yards (pretty mutch the longest range capable in electrowerks).

anyway, its all good, (exept for the scope and the spring and the spring dont matter in CQB)

As a cheap fix for the SUSAT, go and buy a cheapo pair of DIY goggles with flat polycarbonate lenses and chop a couple of circles out of them to replace the glass in the SUSAT.

To avoid scratching the lenses, stick some sticky-tape over them while you're chopping and filing and then peel it off when you've got the shape right.

Basically, this is what I did to my SUSAT. I binned the silly reducing lenses and replaced them with flat bits of polycarbonate.

Ello everybody. (Excuse my bad english :unsure:)

Now I'm quite finnished with my L85. I've done alot of work...

As you might remember from my other replies in this thread, my friend used a Famas-hopup. This was a very easy modification, he said.

But I didn't do like he did. Instead I bought a Systema M4 metal hopupchamber (with Guarder bucking), but this turned out to be kinda... stupid :)

The pipe, which feeds the BB's from the magazine, was way too short. I had to make it longer. Another tricky part was to stabilize the chamber, so it didn't fit loosely.

One thing not to forget is that I before all this had modified the magwell for Marui M16-mags. If you read another review on the net that said "It takes 2 seconds... blalbla" - it's a lie, or well, maybe not if you got the right tools/machines, but I used some usual and basic tools :P

The main-problem I had with this hopup-modification was to fit the hopup and the magazine so the "nozzle-movement" would be right. I had to fit the hopup ~2 cm in front of the mechbox, not against it (as it should be). Because then, the nozzle wouldn't move back enough to feed up new bb's.

However: I recommend you all to buy a famas hopup, if you don't like modifing, like me ;)

About the mechbox;

I've put in a springguide with bearing (V2-guide, you can 'tighten' it agasint the back of the box with a screw)(no horribly noise from the spring), new shims (the original shimming was *beep*), Systema 1J spring, Marui stock pistong and a modified aug-nozzle.

The gun also has a new inner barrel (requires some modifications). I also changed the outer plastic barrel to one made of metal.

At last i modified the fake SUSAT-sight. I made two haircrosses, by sewing-thread, and tried to improve the red dot (well, the diode).

Maybe forgot about some things, but next thing to do is painting the green parts in a more realistic OD-colour.

Edited by saft
Ello everybody. (Excuse my bad english :unsure:)

Now I'm quite finnished with my L85. I've done alot of work...

As you might remember from my other replies in this thread, my friend used a Famas-hopup. This was a very easy modification, he said.

But I didn't do like he did. Instead I bought a Systema M4 metal hopupchamber (with Guarder bucking), but this turned out to be kinda... stupid :)

The pipe, which feeds the BB's from the magazine, was way too short. I had to make it longer. Another tricky part was to stabilize the chamber, so it didn't fit loosely.

One thing not to forget is that I before all this had modified the magwell for Marui M16-mags. If you read another review on the net that said "It takes 2 seconds... blalbla" - it's a lie, or well, maybe not if you got the right tools/machines, but I used some usual and basic tools :P

At last, someone else who did the job with sandpaper, I was begining to think I was the only person stupid/patient enough to do that. :D

Hi,

(First Post in this forum, also german, so be sorry for bad english :mellow: )

I have a few things to ask:

What is the maximum range of the L85 (Stock ;) )

Are both magazines Low Caps?

Is the SUSAT Adjustable?

So, i dont guess there was more.

I hope for answers.

AND, sorry for my english, and if the questions are already answered i would be very happy if you would give me a link, or even quote it for me. :D

Oh, thanks

but the SUSAT is not adjustable?

Shi*

But it is deatachable?

Yes, you can unscrew the "rail" the SUSAT is moulded to .. but there's no proper rail system (eg weaver/ris) as you'd find with an M4/16 A3 rifle. So, not what you're looking for.

BTW the real thing doesnt have a 20mm rail system either, so if ICS/CA do do a realistic replica we'd most prob be in the same pickle. (eg stuck with the SUSAT/handle)

And, can i use 9,6V Batterie?

Or would it burn the Motor?

airsoft scotland says that 8.4 would shorten the life , 9.6, you most prob dont want to do.

And, still whats the maximum range of the L85 ;)

Dont know .. believe figures such as 20 to 25 metres have been mentioned (or was it feet? I'm as bad as NASA for getting my units mixed up :).

Ok, now i dont gonna buy one.

25 meters of range ... that sucks.

And, i know that there is no Rail under the Susat, but that can be Mounted ;)

Ok i will not take 9,6V because i will not take a L85 from Academy. :P

Thank for your Help, i almost Threw 230 € (The Prices and the Law in Germany is the biggest shi* ever) out.

Ok, now i dont gonna buy one.

25 meters of range ... that sucks.

And, i know that there is no Rail under the Susat, but that can be Mounted ;)

Ok i will not take 9,6V because i will not take a L85 from Academy. :P

Thank for your Help, i almost Threw 230 € (The Prices and the Law in Germany is the biggest shi* ever) out.

Like everyone's told me, it's not a gun you buy for it's stock performance, it's the only way to get a cheap SA80 AEG that with some work on it can perform better :)

SUSAT is not adjustable.

Both mags are locaps, but hicaps are available.

ahem the SUSAT is adjustable, the big winding wheel at the back and the screw alog the front side adjust elevation, its just that the scope os to S*** for that to be any use,

the mags aree quoted as being 65 round but i squesed 67 in one and 68 in the other before they started pushing the sides apart (gaffa tape handy)

frag the lo caps, get the high caps

or modify the magwell and buy a box o star lo caps or a couple o TM high caps,

just a shame you cant fit a c-mag on it :(