Academy L85 review

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the pics the sling furniture should fit *albatross* well as possibly the flash hider. its just possible that the barrel and its plastic in-the-hangaurd bit would fit but if it did it would need some severe choping to let the battery in but without bout to "experiment*" on i cant tell.

*rip to tiny bits

from the pics the sling furniture should fit *albatross* well as possibly the flash hider. its just possible that the barrel and its plastic in-the-hangaurd bit would fit but if it did it would need some severe choping to let the battery in but without bout to "experiment*" on i cant tell.

*rip to tiny bits

Well, with the price quoted chances I'll get one .. it cant be worse than the springer! and hissy sid does say it's not a BAD rifle as such .. so nice price for a newbie.

When I do I'll take some comparison pics of the springer pieces side by side.

the entire front furniture with barrel might fit, but if you look at the furniture it has lugs with two screws that slide over the main body, the springer doesn't have that.

Also the springer uses a long bolt to hold the front sling loop and the furniture in place to the metal barrel assembly, from the looks of it the green furniture on the AEG may not facilitate that..

I, too, want one, and I'm across the pond. Actually, I've always wanted one, sid's review just made me want it even more... psh..... I've always found the L85's to be a lot more sexy than most Armalite varients (expect the M16A1 and the VN, those are two sexy guns) Maybe, now I'll get one of these.

I kinda want one as well, i kinda feel like i have to have it being in the cadet force kinda a 2nd nature hehe. Sid, just out of interest, what do you think about converting the L85a1 to just standard TM mags coz it its possible im def getting it if it can be modded coz of the Star Mags. They are so cheap :D Do you think it will be possible to mod it easily? and about the susat, i think the realsteel version has a weaver mount underneath the Susat mount so i think if u fix a weaver on the top, it will still be kinda realistic

Edited by Sgt.Ham
Random question but how would one go about sorting the fire selector? The FAMAS fire selector is in a completely different to how the L85 fire slector is palced, so any ideas?

The FA-MAS gearbox casing is, apparently, exactly the same as the L85.

The fire selector is on a little plate which bolts onto the bottom of the FA-MAS. Academy just moved the metal plate onto the side of the gearbox.

No idea how hard it would be to alter the plate on the FA-MAS casing but the Academy casing obviously has screw holes in the correct positions already.

All you need to do, basically, is bung gears, spring and guide in the Academy gearbox and you should be fine. The gears, themselves, aren't that bad. I just replaced them because I had a set lying around and I'd read stories of stripped gears. Apparently Airsoft Scotland are function-testing an L85 with standard Academy gears and an uprated spring right now.

Edited by Hissing Sid

Hello, newbie here :D

I've been looking at getting an AEG, but I'm only a poor student (yes, that's my excuse!) So, I was wondering whether it would be any use in spending my hard-earned cash on this SA80, or skrimping some more pennies together to get a Marui AEG?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated ;)

Cheers,

Si :D

Well, the SA80 is cheap and, even as standard, you could take it to a skirmish and it'd be OK-ish.

For a first AEG you might be better off going for a more "normal" TM gun. The TM guns are still a baseline to judge all others against.

Obviously, I reckon that the SA80 is a decent enough gun but, TBH, I'd recommend a TM gun as a first AEG just so you don't have to worry about whether your gun's working OK or whether everybody else has a more powerful or more accurate gun etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I finished the gearbox upgrade without any drama.

I've only put about 1000 shots through it since I did the work so I dunno how reliable it will be. No problems yet though.

I ended up putting the old spring out of my SG1 into the L85. Maybe I'm being a fairy but I don't want to put too much stress on the parts by uprating it massively.

If that piston gets damaged then the whole gun is, basically, junk.

There was another thread knocking around discussing the upgrades.

The Academy barrel isn't too clever and the hop-up is fixed. If you decide to replace the barrel or hop-up you will, apparently, find that the Academy barrel isn't the same size as a TM one, meaning that Academy barrels and hop-ups aren't compatible with each other.

Basically, you need to upgrade the barrel and hop-up at the same time. You can't change one without the other.

Well, this looks very nice! You straightened a few things out.

But I still think this whole piston-thing is a mystery. My friends famas got a V2-piston in it, or, actually we don't know, but I can't see a difference.

However, I'm planning to buy one of these Academy L85 now. But what do I really need? What spring do you guys use? Systema M100?

What do think of;

M100

Marui gearset -V2

Springguide -V2

Marui EG560 or EagleForce 1300S ( http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i..._Eagle%20Motors ) (I saw that AirsoftClub uses this kind of motor in their customguns)

Do I need something more? :mellow:

That should be all you need for the gearbox.

To be honest, you might even get away without buying the gears. I fitted new gears because I'd heard horror stories about Academy gears and I happened to have the systema MP5 gears lying around.

The standard gears in my L85 seem like they're at least as good quality as TM ones. I notice that the L85 has metal bushes in the gearbox. Maybe old L85s had plastic bushes and gears got shredded because the bushes let go?

Alternatively, maybe people were bunging stupid springs in them?

I dunno. Either way, I can't see any reason why the standard Academy gearbox wouldn't be fine with a 1J spring.

I'm also told that the standard Academy motor IS an EG560. Academy source it from the same chinese factory which TM buy them from. I don't have any proof of this but it's what I'm hearing.

Anyway, I might end up buying a FA-MAS anyway, to build into an F2000 project, so I'll finally be able to make a direct comparison between the two guns.

hello, i own an L85 tactical (spring) i loved the feel of the gun, but later on i wanted to get an aeg from tokyo marui, the closest thing they had was their famas. Later on i found that Academy made the L85, so i got that, i wasn't very impressed by the range :( so my question goes...

I own the Tokyo Marui Famas and the Academy L85

is is possible to merge the 2? with the performance of the famas, with the shell of the L85? and if so, can someone put out a step by step guide to keep it simple??

i new to the whole cusom experience internal wise, but im learning how to do internals from my friends so that isn't an issue :)

Edited by Sangheili28

The spring in the L85 is horribly spindly compared to a standard spring. I imagine you'd need a huge spacer to get the power up to anything reasonable.

In theory you should be able to run the L85 with 8.4v just the same as the FA-MAS seeing as how the motor is the same and the gears will (probably) be the same ratios as in a FA-MAS.

TBH, I often run my MP5 using 7.2v batteries cos I've got some large capacity ones from r/c planes and stuff. I don't think the ROF is much different at 8.4v or 7.2v.

Maybe I'm babying my L85 but I've got it shooting at around 300fps and I'm hoping it'll stay that way for years so I don't want to screw it up just forthe sake of doing that "little bit extra".

Regarding buying an L85 and a FA-MAS and then stirring them in together then yes. It will work. Nothing could be simpler.

TBH, it might even answer a question about if a FA-MAS hop up will fit in an L85. I dunno if it will.

The gearbox should just drop in. You will have to change the position of the fire selector but that shouldn't be too hard.

I was always planning to buy a FA-MAS to build my L85 but, once I'd figured out how few parts were required (and because I'm a cheapskate), I decided to just buy the bits.

As I've said before, if I bought a FA-MAS and stripped it for parts for the L85 I'd eventually feel sorry for it and end up spending MORE money to buy parts to get the FA-MAS running again.

That and the fact that Mrs-Sid might not be too keen on scrap guns littering the house. :)

Thanks for your help, think u can post or pm me on the specifics for what i need to do and how?

I will be posting a comprehensive guide to upgrading the Academy L85 in Arnies Projects section (if he'll have it) when I get home.

The guide will include info on altering the gun to fit a decent red-dot scope, fitting a weaver rail, adapting the mag-well to take M16 mags, fitting a decent hop-up and barrel as well as the gearbox mods.

I'm working in Indonesia at the moment. The gearbox mod is complete and I've ordered the other parts while I've been away so I'll get to work fitting and fettling them as soon as I get home.

In the mean-time, if you want to up the power of the Academy L85 for yourself then the bare minimum you need is a 1J spring and replacement spring guide.

I will be posting a comprehensive guide to upgrading the Academy L85 in Arnies Projects section (if he'll have it) when I get home.

The guide will include info on altering the gun to fit a decent red-dot scope, fitting a weaver rail, adapting the mag-well to take M16 mags, fitting a decent hop-up and barrel as well as the gearbox mods.

I'm working in Indonesia at the moment. The gearbox mod is complete and I've ordered the other parts while I've been away so I'll get to work fitting and fettling them as soon as I get home.

In the mean-time, if you want to up the power of the Academy L85 for yourself then the bare minimum you need is a 1J spring and replacement spring guide.

Lookin' forward to the upgrade guide, this here newbly will need it.

You've got your's shooting at 300fps? Nice! Are you using .12 or .2s?

• 2 weeks later...

Wait, So let me get this straight. In order to get the Academy L85 to be effective all I would need to get is the following:

1) Academy L85 (might help...just a little bit)

2) V2 Spring guide

3) 1J Spring

4) V2 Gear set ( not needed though right? but might as well be safe than sorry)

Thats all correct?

TY for all the help after reading your review I thought It would be a nice way in separating myself from all the others and to also give me an effective weapon for cheap (minimum wage)

:)