Academy L85 review

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Quick Question: Can the L85 use afetrmarket Pistons, like say a Deep Fire Titanium?

I own 2 FAMAS already and am about to get an L85 for the sake of Modding it up.

I have an Xtra FAMAS laying about to use for the Hopup & barell.

Why is it said, that L85 Piston is so rare and not to damage it?

If the gearboxes are so similiar, why can't you just use an aftermarket Piston?

It seems that the Piston is the only thing stopping the academy gearbox from going past 300FPS safely? again why?

BTW - My Main FAMAS runs 425FPS consistently for 1 year no probs. M-130 in it.

? :blink:

Edited by UdieMoore

the academy L85 can take any aftermarket AEG piston, well its worked with all i've tried, i gutted out my old TM M16 and put the stuff - all the gears (stock TM), spring (M100), piston and piston head (guarder), nozzle into my sa80. works fine.

in relations to points raised earlier in this thread, both M16 and Famas hop-up units will work, though with the M16 hop-up unit you will need to make an extension for it, to aid feeding from the magazine, on the Famas hop-up this is not needed, so for a no hassle option the Famas unit is easier to install and get working.

Edited by Maveric

Thnx for that info Maveric,

BTW- In case anyone is wondering how my FAMAS can shoot 425FPS+

is because it uses a EG-700 motor which was installed custom using a custom made motor mount. I thank David Jones @ Inferno Airsoft in Hawaii for this one!

Now with the L85, I am limited to the EG-560HT, which I have one laying around.

I assume an M-110 may be the furthest this motor can handle?

Anyone ever pushed an EG-560HT this far before?

UdieMoore!

Quick Question: Can the L85 use afetrmarket Pistons, like say a Deep Fire Titanium?

I own 2 FAMAS already and am about to get an L85 for the sake of Modding it up.

I have an Xtra FAMAS laying about to use for the Hopup & barell.

Why is it said, that L85 Piston is so rare and not to damage it?

What you've got there is, quite simply, duff information given to me at the time when I bought the gun.

I was told that the Academy L85 used a piston with a single guide-slot in it.

I dunno if this was true of the early, none hop-up versions of the L85 but I can say that mine definately DOES have a normal marui-compatible piston in it.

When I first got the gun I did baby it, running it on 7.2v and not even thinking about fitting a stronger spring. All this was because I figured that if the piston got damaged the gun would be junk. As soon as I realised that the piston was replaceable using a Marui one (as are all the other parts) I got the spanners out.

TBH, there's not that much you can make use of out of a FAMAS.

The Academy gearbox is good enough for it not to be worth swapping for the marui one. It's also fitted with metal bushes AND the electrical connections are in different places which is gonna make using the FAMAS gearbox a PITA.

I never tried using a FAMAS hop-up seeing as how I didn't have a FAMAS around to use.

The Academy mags have a slightly longer feed nozzle on the top of them. Also, the feed tube on the Academy hop-up is slightly longer than most marui ones.

If you adapt the L85 to use Marui M16 mags you'll be OK (just about) so long as you keep using the Academy hop-up.

If you swap the Academy Hop-up for a Marui one you'll be OK (again, just about) so long as you keep using the awful plastic Academy mags.

If, however, you adapt the gun to use Marui mags AND replace the hop-up you'll find that there's a tiny gap between the top of the mag and the bottom of the feed tube.

Oh dear.

It's not the end of the world though. If you're brave you can lop a bit off the bottom of the Academy hop-up and glue it to the bottom of the Marui one to extend it.

This, of course, is a "######-or-bust" activity. If it doesn't work then you've also ruined the Academy hop-up.

I fitted a Systema hop-up and then glued a lump of tube to the bottom of it to extend it. It feeds fine but I think it has problems with the air-nozzle not sealing so I've currently got the standard Academy hop-up back in place. I yanked out the rather dodgy Academy barrel and replaced it with a 6.04mm Marui compatible one. (Fitted back to front. The Academy hop-up requires this).

Finally, Marui barrels are actually slightly smaller diameter than the Academy one. This mean that you'll need to wrap tape around the Marui barrel to make it a snug fit in the various Academy barrel supports and clamps.

All in all, mine is now easily as good as a stock Marui AEG. All in all it's cost me less than £100 on top of the purchase price of £100 so it's actually been very cost effective too.

If you were on a budget you just need to fit the EG560 motor, 1J spring, spring guide and re-shim the gearbox to get somewhere near done.

I've spent a bit more, though, fitting a metal G36 outer barrel and buying an RDS and using the guts out of it to make the SUSAT work reasonably well.

• 1 month later...

back from the dead.....

breaking newz (or rather broken newz) my SA80 without upgrades has finally died. 8 scirmishes and 23,000(+/- 1,000) rounds of L85a1 fun has ended.

the gearbox is jammed up, the motor will not move when the trigger is pulled and after a few seconds a bubling sound is heard (the motor burning i think)

i am going to see if i can give it to someone to fix for me (wolf armorys is most likley atm even though they are the most expencive)

also at the same time i am looking to get a tightbore, 560 motor, new gears, and anything the mechanic sujests for added durability

[/newz]

• 1 year later...

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonecropost.

I just inherited one of these in a trade - but the anti-reversal latch is missing.

The problem is, a normal V2/V3 ARL is far too short to fit - so I'm rather buggered there. Is this also true with a FAMAS? If so I may have to grab a 2nd-hand FAMAS for the ARL...

Which is hardly cost-effective.

Wow i forgot about this thread.... (painfull memories of me being a NOOB back here lol)

I am having a lot of trouble with my anti reversal latch in my academy SA80. I have fitted an XYT bevel gear with four AR cams, but it has made no difference to my the gun. So i think its the AR latch that is not working properly, but when i had the gun open it was working perfectly!

Is there a replacement part?

• 2 weeks later...