Airsoft Search - PC Search Client

visionviper

I made this program because I was tired of having to keep entering web adresses and entering the item I was searching for over and over. So me being a programmer and lazy, I decided to make a program that makes searching multiple sites easier.

I give you Airsoft Search. A small 80kb application that allows you to enter in the keyword and click on websites to search them.

The Redwolf and WGC buttons are greyed out because I am having some trouble with them, and the button on the bottom will be a future feature once I get it to work right. It will allow you to open the page in a new browser window just in case you want to.

I would love any feedback, good or bad. I want this to be a good program.

One thing though - have you considered making is customizable so that people can add their own favourite retailers?

That would be very difficult, maybe even impossible, to implement because different sites have different ways to search their site. Good idea, and I wish I could.

Say Hotspotairsoft.com, Airsoftextreme.com, airsoft-war4.com? Anyways keep up the great work.

I am always looking to add more sites. I want to finish what I have first, and then I wil start adding more. Thanks for the suggestions.

I suspect the thread will be bombarded with "can you add so and so as it the bestest for gunnzor" etc etc

I hope not. I would rather get those in my PMs.

NEW UPDATE:

I updated the file, as the Redwolf search is going to take me longer than I thought to get working correctly, so I uploaded the new version.

Download v0.2 Here

v0.2 Changelog:

-Added WGC Shop search

Hey, I just downloaded it but havn't tried it yet. If this works it'll make my time at work much easier! I'm always having people come in and ask about specific parts or guns, this will let me look them up for them much faster!

NEW VERSION

Download v0.2.5 here

I know, this is the second update in one day. I just have plenty of time and I want to make it better. Thusly, I give you the changelog:

v0.2.5 Changelog;

-Added Airsoft Extreme button

-Added Airsoft G.I button

-Removed Kapowwe button

-Decreased the size of the search buttons. This will allow for more search buttons for the near future.

That would be very difficult, maybe even impossible, to implement because different sites have different ways to search their site. Good idea, and I wish I could.

Surely most of the searches will just be a URL, so if you get your app to replace www.myshop.com/search?q=[qry] and replace [qry] before finding the page, it would be simple.

Also, how often to shops update thier website designs? its not often is it? you could maybe use a regular expression extract the results from the pages, so you could search all the shops at once and create some kind of unified results page.

Also, how often to shops update thier website designs? its not often is it? you could maybe use a regular expression extract the results from the pages, so you could search all the shops at once and create some kind of unified results page.

Already planning something like that. Shhhhh....

Surely most of the searches will just be a URL, so if you get your app to replace www.myshop.com/search?q=[qry] and replace [qry] before finding the page, it would be simple.

Yes, but all the different shops have different search URLs, and there is no way of telling which site uses which method from the app.

Already planning something like that. Shhhhh....

Yes, but all the different shops have different search URLs, and there is no way of telling which site uses which method from the app.

Determining which method to use could be done by the user...assuming they are not retarded....as for hte unified thing, I got bored an hour ago, and whipped something up...

http://www.nnamdi.co.uk/asr

Only does WGC Shop, AA, Fire Support and Flecktarn - but you get the idea.

Determining which method to use could be done by the user...assuming they are not retarded

Could end up taking too long for the user. Plus, there are endless possibilities with the exact URL. It just won't work well.

As for the online search. Very nice. I love you for knowing Javascript.

Just some possible cosmetics:

Make the border fixed and get rid of the maximise button

or

Make it so that the text box will increase as well when it is maximised

From all my experience with Visual Basic (which PEiD is telling me what you made it with), the first one should be much easier

Yet another release!

Please download v1.0 here

v1.0 Changelog

-Added progress bar

-Added Open in browser (allows you to open the current page in a browser window)

-Added retailer Tokyo Model

-Added retailer Combat South

-Added retailer SDK Tactical

Archived