Donations towards server bits

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Siciro ;)

Shao14: So far the donations have gone towards updating the forum software to a full license, and getting the new photo gallery software set installed as that was being asked for by lots of people.

There's not enough to buy another memory stick yet or change the motherboards over but there should be at some point. Next time I get some spare funds myself that should cover it with the donations we have now. It's just a case of waiting for a convenient moment to order a new stick or upgrade the server as deals sometimes appear on closeout much cheaper than normal at the hosting firm (which is what we've got our eye on).

If anyone donated and I missed and didn't acknowledge it and bump their user account, please do let me know. It's hard to keep track of real names, nicknames and differing email addresses.

Cheers Eddie182. ;) Also had a donation from an anon source that I can't track down to a registered member yet.

Bakabox: Well donations go directly towards features and facilities that any members ask for, plus help cover other costs for the site.

The machine we're on copes with the site, but we will outstrip what a single processor machine can easily do at peak periods at some point (most likely in a year or so at current expansion rate). I can either upgrade the site to a dual processor board, or stick the databases on a different/seperate box to share load. I'll have to work out the best way to do it all and work out a gameplan for the future. Backups and licenses are all covered at the moment, we just need to ensure that the site isn't over strectched as that would slow things for everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers.. I'm going to have to go through my email logs as the total at the top of the thread is out of date and I've not had time to update it.

For anyone that's interested, donations have gone towards a site license for IPB (the board software), a license for the IPB gallery addon (which isn't as good as a few other gallery softs out there but it's good enough for the moment), a minor hosting upgrade and the rest is sitting in the site paypal account at the moment.

No I junked Nuke quite some time ago when I redesigned things here :) Traffic wise, lots and lots but no more than you'd expect for the number of people using the site.

Thanks for the donations. Please remember that it's solely voluntary, you can donate if you wish to (and it's much appreciated), however the site won't be disappearing anytime soon whatever happens.

Shhh...your suppose to tell people that the site WILL shutdown if you don't recieve any donations ;).

I think of it this way, the more money I donate, the better experience I recieve. You should do some type of membership program, offer better content for some type of membership feature. Maybe like a one time 15 dollar fee and you recieve 100mb of global attachments, access to a special forum, more reviews and content, maybe you can work with airsoft sites that sell stuff to give the special members promotional deals because if this site gives redwolf a good review, well they will get more sales. The possibilities are endless, most people who play airsoft have it as a big hobby and wouldn't mind paying a fee monthly, annually, or a one time fee for a lot of extra stuff. With that many unique visitors a day you can really do something, I checked on alexa.com and you have the 62,000th most popular site on the net, and you have the MOST visited airsoft site on the internet. I say you should do it.You could add videos, pictures, and much more for a small fee. I would definatly do it if I were you, something you should really consider.

Edit: By saying you have the most popular, I am wrong. You have the 2nd most popular. Airsplat is the most popular. You still are more popular then UNcompany, redwolf, flecktarn, airsoftretreat, and many more.

EDIT2: Please excuse the grammar...me am not english good.

Edited by Xxl3o0mxX
I think of it this way, the more money I donate, the better experience I recieve. You should do some type of membership program, offer better content for some type of membership feature. Maybe like a one time 15 dollar fee and you recieve 100mb of global attachments, access to a special forum, more reviews and content, maybe you can work with airsoft sites that sell stuff to give the special members promotional deals because if this site gives redwolf a good review, well they will get more sales. 

Hmmm I like it the way Arnie does it now. He doesn't expect anyone to give him money, nor does he like asking for it. This is the only site I have ever donated to purely for that reason. I hate sites that say we will close unless you donate etc etc.

If Arnie still needs a few more £ for his server upgrade I will happily donate again on pay day.

Yeah, I was just saying that as a idea, ya know :D. It would be a nice way for him to make money, and for me to have a better experience here. I wouldn't mind paying at all if he had videos and all sorts of other stuff for membership people only. Yes, a lot of people do donate, but I have seen many sites where they have done the subscribtion idea and it turned out to be a really nice idea. His only way of supporting all of the money this site costs are ad's and donations. It seems like Arnie doesn't like my idea too much though and im starting to hijack the thread so im going to stop now. :)

Nah, not that I don't like your idea (I've already bounced a similar sort of idea around my bonce). I'm just very hesitant to take on anything where I could end up owing anybody anything, or that requires more work on my behalf, as I have a limited amount of time that I can devote to this site.

The way I see the whole service/money thing is thus: As things are currently I do what I like when I like and can (which is pretty often), but if I start accepting money for services from people I will have demands placed on me; and rather than doing things for the pleasure of it I then end up going work here because I have to. Ultimately that tends to suck the fun out of everything.

Well, I read that I just wanted to state that it wouldn't be as hard as you think it would be. Some sites charge 25 bucks for the stupidest features you have EVER heard of. Ebaumsworld.com and Somethingawful.com are great examples of that. Im sure members of this site wouldn't mind at all to make videos for this site and find videos and content. There are many things that could make this forum better, such as the ability for bigger avatars, more attachments, premium members only forums so there could be serious discussions, not "wot am da bezt gun stuff" seen at every airsoft forum. You could make a decent income from this, the ideas can go on forever, with not much extra work for you. That could really bring a lot of people here, people coming for serious airsoft not what you find at other forums. Having a public forum has the downfall of anyone with a internet connection being able to visit and post. I have gone to many airsoft sites and the only 2 good ones are this one and airsoftretreat. Now that airsoftretreat has lost it's videos it kind of sucks. Doing this would really up the par of airsoft sites and make your site the kind of all of them.

Edit: http://forum.ebaumsworld.com/premium.html

People pay 25 bucks for those features...and I am pretty sure that at least 100 people have done that. On somethingawful someone pointed out to me that he did all the math and said that since SA has 56,000 registered members that paid a 10 dollar fee. Then tack on the archive fee which is another 10 , lets say the guy has made a lot of money.

Edited by Xxl3o0mxX