Donations towards server bits

Hi folks, don't know if you've spotted but we are getting a severe amount of traffic now, yesterday topped at over 12,000 people in one day (that's unique visitors, not page views).

What I'd like to do is raise 125USD to get some more memory for the server which should help things a little. It's a one off thing, we pay it and the hosting folks stick another 1Gb of memory on the rack for us. We should be quite okay as far as processing speed goes.

Has anyone got any ideas for fun raising ideas? I could ask for straight donations towards it but as ever hate asking for PayPal donations. At the moment, all we need is 100 donations of 2USD and that'd nicely help cover things. If there was a torrent of donations (unlikely, but would be nice) the rest can go towards other upgrades for our box.

What do you guys think?

Edit: Thanks for the donations, they are really appreciated.

23:44 21/10 Donations recieved so far total 445USD (total, Paypal fees make the figure slightly less)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy You're a star mate :)

Silver - you're most welcome to donate towards the site, but I can't put hardware in the server itself as it is in Florida. Much as it would be nice to visit. ;) If you did want to donate local mem/storage that'd be cool as it'd just go in the solitary box that sits in another room and keeps a copy of everything every night (I've been meaning to stick a cheap DVD burner in it for complete copies of everything every month).

The bad news is I misread the upgrade details. To add more memory it's 350USD not 125, as it says "up to Xmegs" not "an upgrade of X megs".. *albartroth*. But thanks to Billy and Shao we're already nicely heading towards that. The other option is that with the donations we have the hosting company switch the main logic board out for a faster unit. The advantage bieng that gives us more bandwidth, space and memory too (at a slightly increased monthly lease rate) .. it's a package deal thing goes over my head. I have a feeling they pull our HDD and walk it down the room to the bigger machines then plug it in, reconfigure the kernel and reroute the IP addresses.

I could ask for straight donations towards it but as ever hate asking for PayPal donations. At the moment, all we need is 100 donations of 2USD and that'd easily cover it. If there was a torrent of donations (unlikely, but would be nice) the rest can go towards other upgrades for our box.

What do you guys think?

I was gonna to donnate some even without you asking. :)

We could do that. I was given the suggestion of getting some decent shrirts and caps made up with the logo on them for folks. So I might do that... I could always do with some new shirts myself anyway as I get through them at a huge rate.. oil stains and day to day wear tends to wreck clothing fast these days. The CafePress stuff is okay, but it'd be nice to get some stuff made locally to a better quality.

The current interest in the site is more than it's ever been, so I/we want to make sure that there's enough processing power and memory to cover everything. Of late there's been a massive traffic spike, so I've obviously been doing something right :)

Shao14: Thank you :)

Hi guys.

Is there a way for me to add a bank account to my paypal account... I don’t have a credit-card.

(maybe not the right place to post this, but I would really like to donate some money, and paypal is the only "logic" way of doing it ;) )

best regards

Snavyseal

Hi guys.

Is there a way for me to add a bank account to my paypal account... I don’t have a credit-card. 

(maybe not the right place to post this, but I would really like to donate some money, and paypal is the only "logic" way of doing it  ;) )

best regards

Snavyseal

all you need to register with paypal is a bank account. You can add credit card later, but it's not required. When you register, paypal will actually send free money into your bank account to verify your account is legit. ;)

$10 on its way to you (once again).

As many have said, it's the least I can do (and hey, considering my post-count, I should donate more than that...I just don't have it...).

Cheers for keeping the site going mate - you're doing one hell of a job (and that goes to the mods too, by the way) :)