EOtech replica is out...but

Tef

This is really good news to those who can't get their hands on the real thing due to import limitations. I went to an undisclosed asian country and found out the real ones cost twice the price in the US. This would be a great bargain for them. Also remember MSRP and price rumors tend to be higher. So when buying overseas, buy many to maximize the shipping cost. As always, new products are good news than nothing at all. Imagine 10 companies doing only aimpoints and acogs. Now that is scary. Help the economy, buy something.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The reason this is so much more expensive than other airsoft reflex sights:

Aimpoints etc. usually use a rotary dial for on/off and brightness adjustments: High school electronics.

Eotech uses 2 buttons for on/off, brightness control: needs chips to be programmed and manufactured.

True, but my digital watch lets me push one button OR push two buttons OR hold two buttons, etc. and it cost me $20 at Wal-Mart. I don't think the electronics are that complex, are they?

Right, your watch wasn't developed from scratch. It's probably got the same innards that the manufacturer has been using in a variety of products. R&D costs money which are always passed onto the user until a product has been superseded/money recouped.

eg. The exact same RAM I bought 2 years ago is now half the price.

Tooling up to manufacture a new product also costs quite a lot of money.

Here in the UK aimpoint replicas went for about £70-80 now they have been copied and due to another factory that has copied them without having to spend any money on R&D they can be seen for about £40

Also I doubt Hurricane are producing in quantities on par with watches. The more you make the cheaper the unit cost.

Right, your watch wasn't developed from scratch.  It's probably got the same innards that the manufacturer has been using in a variety of products.  R&D costs money which are always passed onto the user until a product has been superseded/money recouped.

eg. The exact same RAM I bought 2 years ago is now half the price. 

Tooling up to manufacture a new product also costs quite a lot of money.

Here in the UK aimpoint replicas went for about £70-80 now they have been copied and due to another factory that has copied them without having to spend any money on R&D they can be seen for about £40

Also I doubt Hurricane are producing in quantities on par with watches.  The more you make the cheaper the unit cost.

it was a guy in HK who sold the design to hurricane. he said the r&d +setting up a line was around HK$120,000

normally i would agree to r&d cost and such making the price so high, but this time, (im not saying r&dcost nothing) they really priced it wrong because for sightly higher price, you can get a bushnell who has most function of the real one yet much better quality. it's no as good, but at least it does alot more than a normal RDS. the only blame for this, if it fails to sell, then i say it's hurricane themselve for targetting the wrong market.

edit: i would like remind everyone, this is HK street price, by the time it hit the net, it will be fair abit more may be 190USD, in which case, it cost more than a bushnell holo or a XLP.

Whooah, calm down people :) I didn't mean to turn this into an elitist discussion in anyway, sorry about that. I didn't mean to appear any better than someone else, afterall, I'm hardly the only person on the boards with an Eotech.

normally i would agree to r&d cost and such making the price so high, but this time, (im not saying r&dcost nothing) they really priced it wrong because for sightly higher price, you can get a bushnell who has most function of the real one yet much better quality. it's no as good, but at least it does alot more than a normal RDS.  the only blame for this, if it fails to sell, then i say it's hurricane themselve for targetting the wrong market.

edit: i would like remind everyone, this is HK street price, by the time it hit the net, it will be fair abit more may be 190USD, in which case, it cost more than a bushnell holo or a XLP.

Hurricane was first approached with the idea 2-3 years ago and they started work on it right away. They knew very early on in the the project that they were going to have to be priced close to the real thing, so I really doubt it is intentional high pricing.

Remember in airsoft if you're going for the look then a Bushnell just won't cut it. I know there are those of you who say pay a little more for the real thing, I am one of them, but for some people money saved is money saved if they don't need to have the real thing.

A have come across a bit more information which might help explain the cost.

It has both red and green reticules (standard eotech point + halo) with 20 brightness settings.

A low power indicator

2 hour auto shutdown

UV Tempered lens

I think the casing is as on the real eotech, metal shroud and mount with plastic body.

Uses 4 x lr44 batteries

Plus there are no markings and labels, though the after-market will soon provide replacements parts. It's also missing the Night Vision feature. Well, what can you expect for just 1300 Honkers...

I think the casing is as on the real eotech, metal shroud and mount with plastic body.

Uses 4 x lr44 batteries

I wonder what their reasoning behind the batteries is. The Real 511/551 on what the sight seems to be based on use N-type batteries.

The LR44s commonly cost around 2USD a piece, where as N-type (LR1) cost 3USD a piece, but you only need 2 N-types for the 511/551 and 4 LR44s for the Hurricane. Anyone know how they last compared to each other?

190 bucks at airsoft-war4 now

Yep, I saw that and quite frankly unless you are one of the unlucky people who can't get EoTech sites due to export limitations then you might as well buy the real thing.

I have two EoTechs and a Bushnell and I've got each and everyone in sales, and funnily enough it was the Bushnell that cost me the most!

So hunt around and look for end of season sales on the net and grab a bargain, because a real EoTech is a bargain when you are paying near on $200 for a replica.

Hurricane was first approached with the idea 2-3 years ago and they started work on it right away.  They knew very early on in the the project that they were going to have to be priced close to the real thing, so I really doubt it is intentional high pricing.
i believe they scraped the early design because it cost too much, the new one we see here use a double reflex method which is cheaper but also cost the dot to increase moa/dot/crosshair size too much if the distance between eye and sight is much. hence, you can see that from war 4 toys pictures.

Remember in airsoft if you're going for the look then a Bushnell just won't cut it.  I know there are those of you who say pay a little more for the real thing, I am one of them, but for some people money saved is money saved if they don't need to have the real thing.

i havent actually got hold of a eotech and a bushnell in front of me to compare. as i believe the buttons and trademarks are the only exterior differences, right ?

this replica doesnt have trademarks, so (if what i said above is right) this replica is only better than the bushnell because of the buttons. for the price one pays for this (cost more than a bushnell), in my opinion it's better to pay less, and have better aiming quality than the two buttons. but then again, thats just my opinions.

(dont get me wrong, im not saying you are not right and i am and such, i am just trying to bring out all the argument points for those who may be considering getting one) :)

of course, krylon it and none of those trademarks business would matter :D

Everyone seems to be arguing over the price of real vs. replica. However, everyone seems to be overlooking one thing. Sure, pay $190 for the toy version, but how much do you think you can get when you want to sell it? Pay a lot more for the real eotech and look at how much you can sell it on ebay. So based on depreciative value, who's wasted more money?

well the price actualy makes sense considering the real one is sold at more than HK$3500. But for us living outside asia, this is certainly not a good deal.

btw. the rectile looks like absoulty ######.

Meh, the price seems a little silly if its the same technology used in all of the $50-70 aimpoint replicas. To each his own I guess...

If you've been around as long as I have, you'll remember that those same Aimpoint replicas cost between $150-225 when they first came out as well... High demand and high intitial production costs mean a higher introductory price. I have little doubt that, in time, the price will drop and be more in-line with other replica optics.

Archived