EOtech replica is out...but

Tef

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes reticles don't appear correctly in pics. They could have been adjusted too brightly, camera can't focus like your eye does, etc. Anyway, the main question right now is...

Who's gonna review it? LOL.

The replica looks really nice. I'm impressed. I first noticed they made the glass side and top frame thicker. It reminded me of the Mars sight. I wish Hurrican just made the Mars. The Mars is commonly used by Israeli forces, and they are now also being use frequently by US forces. They are mounted on M16's and M249's. They cost a whopping $1000 plus. If there was a replica under $190, I would buy it instantly. No mean to Hi-jack, but if Hurricane is listening, please make me a Mars by ITL.

13871513-L.jpg

I wouldn't make comment on the reticle from a photograph. How can we even tell if the camera even focussed on the reticle?

Anyone who has seen through an Eotech will know that the size of the reticle stays the same size relative to the target, so if the sight is further away the it looks larger compared to the actual sight itself, this technology is not difficult to replicate, King Arms has already done it.

About the Bushnell, yes you can definitely tell it's not an Eotech for the reason (V)atrix mentioned.

I wouldn't make comment on the reticle from a photograph.  How can we even tell if the camera even focussed on the reticle?

Anyone who has seen through an Eotech will know that the size of the reticle stays the same size relative to the target, so if the sight is further away the it looks larger compared to the actual sight itself, this technology is not difficult to replicate, King Arms has already done it.

About the Bushnell, yes you can definitely tell it's not an Eotech for the reason (V)atrix mentioned.

yep, my bad, just did abit more close up research on the two.

F*ck the fake *beep*. Just save up and get the damn real thing.

Generally I'd agree...

Real optics and accesories have better resale value, and can be used on both real and replica weapons (try mounting a knock-off Aimpoint on a real AR and see how long it keeps its zero... Or stays mounted, for that matter) :rofl:

But some places, the real thing is either unavailable or priced well beyond any sane person's budget. For example, in Japan, a real EOTech 552 sells for about $900 USD - and that's if you can even find one for sale.

Sure, if you live in the US or UK, where real optics are both reasonably priced and readily available, then by all means buy the real-deal. But, unfortunately, not everyone has such an option.

Not all EOTechs have NV capability either...

The replica is to resemble the model 551 and that has the NV mode.

At least my real deal has it ... and yes it's my duty as real deal owner to say the replica suc*s hard.

I mean look at those beautiful markings and labels - too bad you can't see the label on the bottom side :D:

66919eba.jpg

tried that or is is "if the price isnt 3 digit than it has to break in half" ? just curious.

I admit, I'm a strong proponent of the "you get what you pay for" school of thought - so I've never personally tried mounting replica optics or accessories on a real firearm... But I've seen it happen...

One day some guy at the range was bragging about how much he'd saved by buying a replica optic instead of an "over-priced Aimpoint." I will say, it lasted longer than I expected - but it wouldn't stay put long enough to be zeroed, and had rattled loose enough to actually fall off at one point. Trying to cinch it down tight enough to stay put, under recoil, just resulted in stripped screw holes. I've also heard of reports from other shooters who've witnessed, or suffered, similar mishaps. (Unfortunately, some of them were the result of disreputable e-bay scams - passing off replica optics as real).

Simple fact is, real optics are expensive because making them tough enough to survive rough handling and weapons recoil, and still work as needed, isn't easy - nor is it cheap.

However, replica optics work well enough for airsoft guns because:

1) airsoft guns lack the range of real firearms (where significant changes in point of aim and point of impact are noticable);

2) airsoft guns lack the kind of pin-point accuracy required of real optics (even the best airsoft rifles won't hit point of aim for all shots, so small amounts of paralax or drift are hard to notice and/or have only a minor impact on accuracy);

3) and, most importantly, airsoft guns don't suffer from the repeated shock of recoil (even relatively light recoil, like a 5.56mm, can vibrate parts loose or knock optics out of alignment with enough rounds).

If there's no chance you'll ever mount the optic on a real weapon, or if real optics are overly expensive or unavailable where you live, then I see no reason not to buy a replica. But if, like me, you use your optics on both real and replica weapons, or if you live in an area where real optics are both affordable and available, then real optics are a much wiser investment.

The replica is to resemble the model 551 and that has the NV mode.

True, but I imagine the "NV" button was the most logical place to stick a button for switching between the red and green recticles. Plus, as much as everyone wants the NV models, very few people have any actual use for such a function - so it'd just be one more thing to increase both production cost and end price.

At least my real deal has it ... and yes it's my duty as real deal owner to say the replica suc*s hard.

I mean look at those beautiful markings and labels - too bad you can't see the label on the bottom side :D:

Actually, I own a real 552 - so I'm quite familiar with all the labels and markings - but thanks anyway ;)

And, maybe I'm shirking my duty as a real EOTech owner - but I think I'll wait until I see one of the replicas up close, in person, before I decide just how hard it sucks :P

Dang, this has one feature I've been wanting from Eotech that they don't have.

The green reticule.

I wonder about the double reflex instead of the laser generated hologram of the real thing, can the enemy see the first reflextion of the sight from the front of the weapon?

But some places, the real thing is either unavailable or priced well beyond any sane person's budget. For example, in Japan, a real EOTech 552 sells for about $900 USD - and that's if you can even find one for sale. 

WHAT? Haven't the people over there heard of eBay? I know Yahoo Auctions is the thing to use in the part of the world, but I've sold stuff to Japanese members over eBay. I've sold EOTechs world wide as well. (Which is probably why I get such a good return on them.) If you were to commit that type of money to an EOTech on eBay, you'd win no matter what.

WHAT? Haven't the people over there heard of eBay? I know Yahoo Auctions is the thing to use in the part of the world, but I've sold stuff to Japanese members over eBay. I've sold EOTechs world wide as well. (Which is probably why I get such a good return on them.) If you were to commit that type of money to an EOTech on eBay, you'd win no matter what.

I dunno, man... I think that the import duties and customs regulations make it really tough and/or expensive to bring in any high-ticket items.

Plus, Japanese are just weird!

A VFC AKSU goes for about $840 USD in Japan... So, I asked one Japanese airsofter, "why not just order one from Hong Kong?!?" He looked at me like I was insane to even suggest such a thing. *shrug*

I admit, I'm a strong proponent of the "you get what you pay for" school of thought - so I've never personally tried mounting replica optics or accessories on a real firearm... But I've seen it happen...

Hehe ive heard from my friend of him breaking "real deal" (all those real steel , deal etc names are really funny :) ) scope on an airgun, a scope that was normally used on a 7.62x39 gun afair. but its a trick story because not everyone knows powerful airguns have 2 way recoil which kills scopes not designed for them specificaly. :)

but ur right anyway... more or less , its just funny how people overestimate the influence of "real" vs "replica" , mainly because the people who care about having all "RS stuff" are airsofters whereas gun owners , buy expensive stuff only when they need to , not caring about having proper trademarks or having the correct sticker on the bottom of their scope :].

Im really for replica sights , escpeically the good quality ones like guarder aimpoints. But in this particular case i agree hurricane just made the whole deal useless charging 190$.

I may get one just becuase I have been really wanting a green reticule holosight.

But it's not a holosight. It only looks like one.

BTW. Why would you want a green reticle? You don't see Aimpoint or EOTech putting those in their gunsights. You could argue that they aren't needed in military (or milsim) applications.

-Sale

BTW. Why would you want a green reticle? You don't see Aimpoint or EOTech putting those in their gunsights. You could argue that they aren't needed in military (or milsim) applications.

-Sale

Actually, the human eye picks up green much better than red, so it appears brighter... This is part of why green weapon lasers are visible in daylight conditions.

It wouldn't surprise me to see EOTech offer a green reticle version sometime in the future. Up to this point, the cost and useful life of green laser diodes would have made such a feature too expensive and/or impractical for most consumers - but with green laser diodes finally starting to come down in price a bit, and as they continue to become more readily available and more efficient, it might be a possibility soon.

Hmm... As I think about it, I should have asked the EOTech guys about this at SHOT Show - damn!

Hell, I'd prefer my 552 have a green recticle - the red one tends to wash out in bright sunlight, even at full power. A holographic sight that used a green laser would be much more useful under such light conditions. And, with most military operations (both current and in the foreseeable future) being in desert environments, there is a definite need for high-visibility day-light optics. So, I have to disagree that there's no practical military application for a holosight that utilizes a green laser/recticle.

However, that's not to say that's why Hurricane made the choice they did... I'd imagine that was more just a cheap and easy way to increase customer interest in lieu of an actual NV function.

The guys at crimson Trace were murmering that the next change in laser sights would be to blue lasers in a few years time.

Sounds about right... I think the human eye is even more sensitive to blue light, but the current cost of blue lasers makes them completely impractical at this time. (Last time I looked, blue laser diodes were selling for over $1000 USD, just for the diode).

Also using a green reticule with NV equipment might not work so well.

Same story with visible red lasers... I've used both visible red and green lasers with NV equipment, and both cause a huge amount of lens flare in NVGs.

The EOTech 55x series uses two lasers, one visible red, and one IR. When operating in normal mode the recticle is projected from the visible red, and in NV mode only the IR laser is operating. That additional IR laser diode is part of why the 55x series cost more than the non-NV models. Even on the lowest power setting, in normal mode, a 55x EOTech flares out the recticle to the point that it's useless under NV. Any red, green, blue, purple, etc. colored holosight would need a seperate IR laser for projecting an NV compatible recticle.

Archived