Classifieds and auction system online

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer the ease of being able to wonder onto the forums, post a sales thread and come back later to a few PMs.

Same here, with the old system it was a matter of come on, hit new topi, type a bit, add some pics and hit post and come back later.

Simple things are often the best :)

I mean most of the regs do LIVE on here :P

Very true.

With the majority of vocal users seemingly for market separation, can I just add that it would be preferable (at least for the rest of us Europeans) if it was US - EU rather then US - UK as it has traditionally been.

My reason is that the postage rates are not all that different when compared to shipping outside of Europe, and that traditionally all of us Europeans that are not located in the UK are lumped together with everyone from S.E Asia, South America, etc. in the worldwide section. Which in turn limits interest from UK buyers.

It just seems a little strange considering the relatively large number of continental Europeans that use these forums. Maybe its just me though...

Edited by IronWolf

I personally like it.

There's a lot more scope for sellers, better search facilities for buyers, and a more organized approach.

I still like the old system too but as we now have more members than any other internet Airsoft site, we do need to cater for increased demand.

Now this new system is VERY different to the old system and I can see a lot of regs objecting to it as it is "not what they are used to", but I reckon it's worth giving it a chance before dismissing it.

I do think that some kind of US/UK distinction needs to be made but this could be done with a "location" tag which is then searchable by buyers rather than a different subsection. I also think that it needs a link to the rep system, but these are only minor upgrades, not reasons why it's unsuitable.

Please list suggestions for improvements here and Arn will be able to look in to their possible inclusion in the system. After all, it's only a few hours old and as has been said - is still under development ;)

I'd like for us to be able to sell new products there, ie for small profit.... Any chance?

There's nothing to stop a member making a small profit on an item they want to sell on, but I think you are referring to something akin to running a business through the system using it as your shop-front (as many "Powersellers" do on eBay).

That would be a call for Arnie to make as it would involve a fundamental policy-shift. ;)

i like the sound of 'buy it now' with paypal etc.

no messing around if you do that.

and it's alot tidier so if you were after something semi specific (like someone wanting a GBB instead of an AEG) they could go to that category...

or even random bits of kit that goes in etc...

i kinda like it :)

sure it'll be strange and whatever... but it's a new system... i'd reckon most of us that first went on ebay were all like wtf? lol kthx what the ###### do i do now?

i mean im sure we'll get used to it :P

Edited by urban-ninja

A couple suggestions:

-Instead of a black box, maybe a simple "No Picture" image. The black boxes are very distracting to the eye.

-Seperate US/UK sections, or an ability to filter for one or the other in the search system.

Right then, just a few things i dont like...

- I dont like how its seperate from the main forum in the way it is

- I dont like the layout of it

- I think there are way too many sections

- I dont like the picture upload system, even attatched pictures were borderline annoying for me

- I dont see a report button???

- There doesnt seem to be any way to give rep points for the sale

Infact if i'm going to be honest i don think there is anything about it i like.

You are talking out of your *albatross*.

Firstly to replicate the layout of the original forum simply click the "last 7 days button" and this gives a very similar look with the added benefit of images.

Not only does it have a report button in the sale, it also has a rep system. To access that click the member name in the sale.

The reason it is separate is obviously because it is not finished and the old way is still live.

Frankly, I feel this system will reduce the chance of being ripped off. I think it it will take some getting used to, but the end result is good.

Firstly to replicate the layout of the original forum simply click the "last 7 days button" and this gives a very similar look with the added benefit of images.

Still dont like the layout or look of it.

Not only does it have a report button in the sale, it also has a rep system.  To access that click the member name in the sale.

Fair enough on those two, but neither were that obvious....

my 2p worth:

Runs right accross the idea of you must post a price. Not any more if theres an auction facility - folks could start an item at a fiver and then have it run for a mind numbing 60 days with no one any the wiser as to how much they actually want and wether its going to be a complete waste of time cos hes actually expecting 200 quid for an item thats 201 quid retail

Above could lead to loads of timewasting ads that the old system never had to contend with especially as theres no way of forcing sellers to sell at end of auction - he'll just claim it sold locally etc if push comes to shove and doesnt reach his over the top expected price? Or is there a mandatory buy it now price for all auctions to avoid that?

(having looked I dont see one all i can see is folks quoting opening prices and in at least one case stating 'I do have a reserve price in mind' - great then make it your ###### opening price then and save us all from guessing!)

secondly I can see it being a lot more work if someone is selling multiple items eg 2 GBB pistols an AEG and a spring rifle? In old system one add covers them but in this you're going to have to have multiple ads cos the items are in different categories especially if each gun has its own buy it now price etc?

thirdly its kinda information overload especially at its default setting Yes it can be cleaned up a bit by changing view to 7 days etc but its not immediately apparent add having to sort by country etc and its going to become even more of an effort and I dont see whty having potential buyers go to MORE effort than they had to on the old system is making it better

dont get me wrong I can appreciate a lot of efforts gone into putting it together and if theres an overiding need from a moderating POV to move over to this to make it easier to admin then fair enough

If it was sales only with mandatory fields needing filled in (eg things like asking price, location, FPS for gun sections, wether buyer will ship abroad) then I can see it being useful to move over from an admin POV (as a lot of the basic info for an add that folks sometimes miss out will be entered before the ad can be submitted)

but Id reconsider the auctions in their current form for the reasons above they dont really add anything cnstructive to the mix from what I can see and just offer potential for 'I won but he isnt selling me it as it ddnt reach his unstated price' and 'he placed the high bid 50 days ago ago but isnt buying it' disputes etc

Edited by snorkelman

I have to say i like it. While its clearly going to take a bit longer to list things and fiddle about learning stuff, once we get familiar with it i cant see why it wont be an improvement on the old for sale / wanted sections.

Im definitely in agreement with the need for a US / EU (Like that idea!) identification of some sort though, as i have already seen items for sale from UK people listed in dollars, which will just add to the confusion :P

With UKAN closing (The place i sold most stuff) , i might well start selling more of my stuff on here now :)

I'd also like the 'buy it now style' option. It sounds like a great idea for those who want an auction facility, but there's a lot of us who like to stick stuff up, set a price, and sell it to the first person to pay that price.

I doubt I'll be running auction style sales of the goods I'm going to put up over the next week, if only because I have considerable experience of some chaps absolutely taking the mickey with offers in pm - 'hey I'll take your m11 mags for £1 each!' comes to mind...: :rolleyes:

my 2p worth:

secondly I can see it being a lot more work if someone is selling multiple items eg 2 GBB pistols an AEG and a spring rifle? In old system one add covers them but in this you're going to have to have multiple ads cos the items are in different categories especially if each gun has its own buy it now price etc?

Didnt ASCUK have a bulk sales section to cover this?

Give the system a try and see how it works out for you.

Current "Sales" forums have a wealth of historic posts that can be used to see if an item is rare/common, as well as to review recent prices (useful for buyers and sellers). I find myself searching that part quite often.

I don't see how the current system would allow that - it seems that closed threads/ads are removed from the system after an item is bought. I might be wrong though.

Harsh.

It's just... je ne sais quoi. I prefer the ease of being able to wonder onto the forums, post a sales thread and come back later to a few PMs. I love the auction function, but i don't feel that it's needed for the usual classified function. The classified forums on the whole tend to be a bit "self moderating" and people soon learn. If it's a case of adding a few more sales topic mods then i'm sure that would solve it. I mean most of the regs do LIVE on here :P

I hate to criticise though, sorry mate.

Agreed.

I think it makes buying anything really hard as the seller could in theory wait for ages until a silly amount more then the item is worth comes up.

So much for first come first served which i liked about the forums and why I dont like using eBay. The only way some people can really buy airsoft stuff is second hand by 'bagging a bargain', so long to that. If this system takes over I fear it will simply be the people with the most buying power taking it over. And who said money isnt everything. This system is great for the seller but horror for the potential buyers! *Sigh* :(

Is there really any need for sections such as "jewelery and watches" etc it's not exactly often someone sells jewelery lol and the car section aswell, is there really any point? if you want to sell your car put an advert in auto-trader! i think a few of those sections could be taken away.

Even some of the airsoft ones, ie, gas, when have you ever seen someone selling cans of gas on here?

Im kinda with letterbomb aswell, great for sellers, not so good for buyers, unless you have plenty cash to throw around.

Harsh.

It's just... je ne sais quoi. I prefer the ease of being able to wonder onto the forums, post a sales thread and come back later to a few PMs. I love the auction function, but i don't feel that it's needed for the usual classified function. The classified forums on the whole tend to be a bit "self moderating" and people soon learn. If it's a case of adding a few more sales topic mods then i'm sure that would solve it. I mean most of the regs do LIVE on here :P

I hate to criticise though, sorry mate.

Word. It;s a great system, but it doesn't do it for me. Kinda prefer the simplicity of the normal classifieds sections. Just a few more categories there would be nice.

People have raised some excellent points here, on reflection. I don't think anyone wants to come across as ungrateful or biased against 'new things' in general, but there has been some fair criticism.

The way I'd like to see it run, personally, is as follows...

The existing classifieds sections are retained for most sales. More classifieds mods are appointed, with power only over those sections, to relieve some of the stress of the normal mods. Perhaps the reporting system would ONLY report to these people? The 'no auction' rule is kept the same.

The auction system is retained as well, so that people who DO want to set up an auction can do it in there, instead of in the regular classifieds forums. Once people get the hang of it, no-one would have to be told "This is not eBay, you can't run an auction in here" because those people would have their own section. Those wanting a straight sale could avoid the auction section altogether and stay in the forums.

Just my 2p, but I can see equal need for both systems. Maybe they should run side-by-side?

People have raised some excellent points here, on reflection. I don't think anyone wants to come across as ungrateful or biased against 'new things' in general, but there has been some fair criticism.

The way I'd like to see it run, personally, is as follows...

The existing classifieds sections are retained for most sales. More classifieds mods are appointed, with power only over those sections, to relieve some of the stress of the normal mods. Perhaps the reporting system would ONLY report to these people? The 'no auction' rule is kept the same.

The auction system is retained as well, so that people who DO want to set up an auction can do it in there, instead of in the regular classifieds forums. Once people get the hang of it, no-one would have to be told "This is not eBay, you can't run an auction in here" because those people would have their own section. Those wanting a straight sale could avoid the auction section altogether and stay in the forums.

Just my 2p, but I can see equal need for both systems. Maybe they should run side-by-side?

Agreed. Just use the new system for auctions and retain the old system with ascuk stylee sections.