CQB corner

101matt1

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've got to say pozzie, your invitation had a bit of a one sided feel to it in my eyes, If you wanted to stake your claim as a CQB master you should really head south and play his site not the other way around. it's easy to have the edge when you're on the home turf know all the possible hidey wholes and ambush points your team /his team could use and generally have a map of the battlefield imprinted in your mind. Better yet, why not meet on neutral ground? That way it's all about the skill not who knows where they're going! Now that sounds like a game :D

Though I'd agree valid.........................

You do realize you're commenting on something said nearly 2 (TWO!) years ago. :unsure:

Greg.

Though I'd agree valid.........................

You do realize you're commenting on something said nearly 2 (TWO!) years ago. :unsure:

Greg.

I never read the dates on a post, plus seen as he never replied i figured it was still relevant!

:D Speaking as a neutral midlands inhabitant, i don't really get the whole North/South slanging match business. At the end of the day, it's not about where you come from, you're only as good as you are. Being raised in the sheffield steel works makes you no better/worse a player than if you came from Depford or Kent or the Rhonda valley or Glasgow for that matter.

You never know, being raised in a certain environment could lead to recklessness on the field, due to lack of care for one's personal safety because of certain aspects of one's upbringing.

Though, we're all humans, and (mostly) know which end of the gun is dangerous, and in CQB, what else matters :P:P

• 2 months later...
Anyhow, the Sniper's Perch is a useful thread dedicated to an aspect of airsoft which is almost completely different from regular combat and requires the attention of those in the know.

CQB is just regular airsoft, but at closer quarters... often with less cover and faster movement. As the name implies, it's just battle in close[r] quarters.

As far as weapons go... Anything that's not too long to maneuver in tightly spaced areas. Actually, anything apart from a bolt action rifle should be kosher.

How many times have you had trouble with the range of your AEG is woodland or other longer ranged combat? 100's right? Its the most frustrating this ever you see your enemy to fire but the BBs fall short by a good 200 feet! Thats not very MILSIM now is it? But in CQB that practically disapears! All you have to do is move fast and have a short barreled weapon of your choice.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The way I see it CQC/CQB means anything that has something to do with close quarters and combat. That includes MOUT (i understand you use this word for tight indoors fighting?) and close quarter urban combat. Where I live (Finland) there is a nearby town arena (actually more like a shanty town ;D) that is owned by a local paintball-company that utilizes these both.

The 'shacks' (aka houses) are a few squaremetres large and the arena has a few carwrecks (windows smashed, tight nets installed to avoid entering or abusing them etc.) and two buses. The buses can be entered and sometimes there are pretty tight situations. Distances vary from 1-50 metres on the arena. We use our normal woodland Joule-limitations, which is ~415fps with .2g for full-auto. Might sound a bit grim for british folk, but we are such hardy northlanders that we can take it ;)

There was also a factory around here, where I 'did it' also. Anyways, we play a lot of CQC. And woodland too, cause too much of either one can be tiresome. :P

As for gear, I've always appreciated maneuverability (don't think i spelled that right.. Anyway, less bulky ftw) and 'easy access'. Meaning fast mag change or sidearm availability. Normally I stuff used mags back in the same pouch they came from (yeah, dump pouch would really help there) and grab a new one, or get the one I've got dangling on my supporting hand (magpul). Sometimes when playing in a small field I just put them on the ground somewhere visible so I can grab'em later.

My choice for upper body is one-piece MAV and a drop-leg holster for my Mk23. Sometimes I leave the sidearm to the offgame-area cause it can be pretty bulky, banging into walls and such on my holster. Sometimes the extra firepower is nice to have, for instance if I just happen to empty all my Stanags. Okay, I'm just being stupid. I could just carry more mags on my chest :) I carry normally 6 midcaps in my doublemag pouches. I just loooove the Mk23, it's so.. Manly. Almost phallic ;)

Main weapon of choice for me is a M4A1. Never found it to be too bulky or long to use in tight spots. Telescope stock really helps. In woodland fights on the other hand there has been one or two occasions where I've knocked sandbags down with my outer barrel (the ones we use usually are full of woodchips inside a plastic bag). Talk about irony there.

But a stubbier gun is always more compact -> faster. Speed is of the essence, whether the game is fast paced or slow. Reactiontime counts always, this includes both your innate reactiontime and the time you need to operate your gun. If it is pointed in the wrong direction (down or a totally wrong direction), your reactiontime drops and leaves your opponent more time to act. On woodland fights I'd rely more on a more longer barrel (more accurate) than less bulky weapon altogether.

Whoops, out of time. Efficient time wasting here at work.. And now I'm gonna go blow something up for New Years sake. Happy New Year 2009 to you guys too, keep it real ;)

• 1 month later...

Oh yes, CQB is epic win. I have have some of the best and worst experiences in my life in CQB. One of the worst was getting a nice little kiss on the cheek from the outer barrel of a high speed TM P90 one of the other local guys owns after rounding a corner. It was scary. I'm just glad he didn't reflex fire.

The best was by far, my first trial run going dualie with my two Cyma glock AEPs. Rounding a corner with two full-auto capable pistols pointing at two enemies who immediately shat a brick and surrendered was the best moment of my life.

Pistols do indeed dominate at close quarters. Short/bullpup weapons such as FN P90, FN2000, most if not all pistol-grip shotguns, etc fall right behind that. I suppose AUG/FAMAS would fit in here, as well, but those are pretty iffy. Patriots, stubby killers, those sort are evidently a little awkward to use but definitely CQB-geared.

I'd like to think people are smart enough to realize a certain length is bad for CQB, but I still run into guys who like to run M249/M60 and sniper rifles just for intimidation. They're suitably annoyed by length that I don't feel a need to nag them ;D

As has been mentioned multiple times before, CQB is just about completely opposite woodland. Strategy is paramount- reaction times are often the ONLY deciding factor in some engagements though. Since I'm a gamer and at one point aspired to join the MLG pro circuit, my reflexes are a little more attuned than the average person and even with the kind of reaction times it takes to do well at MLG- hell, even playing most FPS online- I still get bested on a regular basis.

In short, it's fast paced, sometimes brutal action that more often than not relies on sheer luck and willingness to hold on to a position for one more split second to stay in the game. It's the best adrenaline rush that I know =P

EDIT: Also, light weight and mobility feature in most CQB loadouts. My personal loadout consists of:

Blackhawk load-bearing suspenders, UTG duty belt

Blackhawk SERPA dropleg w/ KWA G17

OETECH MOLLE dropleg platform w/ pistol mag pouches

OETECH dumper on the back-left

OETECH shotgun shell pouch front-left

Voodoo Tactical shotgun scabbard over the right shoulder w/ my UTG trishot

Soon to be getting a Tactical Tailor MAV w/ X-harness to give me some MOLLE for a more secure lock on that shotty scabbard. I hate how it flops around on the sling >.>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

lol C-Mags are for pussies spray and pray Bullsh*t!, i use my WE GBB M4A1 with 30 round mags i carry 6 mags at the moment and a TM 1911 with 4 26 round pistol mags oh and 2 BFG Grenades thats all i need and you most deff will not be spraying with that loadout :D

Ohh, cheers for clearing that up.

Out of interest, has anyone managed to use a longer long arm successfully in CQB? I've been considering an M14 for my first (and only) AEG, and was just wondering if it's feasible to use a weapon that big in tight quarters, or if I'd have to get a Socom-16 length barrel for it.

yes, G-36K follding stock.

what i've learn't if you playing against experienced players is to either set up alarms (rape alams (te he) with a piece of fishing wire attached to the pin) if the site pemits or to do the unexpected, smash down ustable walls ( our site builds them on purpose) or just hide and ambush!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
what requires mawr skill? cqb or woodland?

Depends on what you see as skill.

Woodland skillset is a little different from those in FIBUA, though basics of teamwork is still the same.

In Woodland, the focus for individuals is on tracking, scouting, watching for sign, observation, deliberate movement, knowing your roles and responsibilities and reaction to effective enemy fire, putting effective fire downrange, and the momentum of the assault, and speed to get into position for a flanking manouvre.

In FIBUA/CQB, the focus is similar, but more emphasis on momentum of the room clearance, creating shock and awe. Team members need to work more closely, provide security for each other, and rotate through each team member's roles covering each other, and every arc needs to be covered in room clearance. There are less options than woodland, and either way entering a room without grenades with an expectant enemy is suicide.

In FIBUA, a high numerical superiority is required to be successful, but risk of casualties are stacked high for both parties, and can swing both ways quite quickly and much of it depends on "luck".

In Woodland, there are more options, and less dependent on luck, and more to do with risk management.

Both cases the amount of thinking, comms and coordinating required for both woodland and FIBUA is about the same for the commanders.

Archived