You know what really grinds my gears?

otherrandomhero

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! oh dammit *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* *fwap* mmmmmmmnnnnnnnngghh *wipe* *wipe* *wipe* *wipe* *wipe* *wipe* *wipe*

YOU'RE GONNA MAKE ME MISS MY BUS SAMM! :(

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what grinds my gears? People who love to call tactical guns, raped guns. Yeah, there's a point where you've gone too far, and I've even crossed that line myself a few times (just for fun) but not every gun that has a light, laser and grip on it is raped. Yes, AKs can have rails. Yes, there are real steel M4 users with lasers and flashlights and grips and supressors, etc. If you think this makes a gun 'raped' please go ahead and make a fist with the hand of your choice and proceed to punch yourself repeatedly in the face for being an idiot.

Or, you can have your opinion and I'll just keep rolling my eyes everytime I read one of those stupid "you're a gun rapazor!!!" comments.

So... anyway...

back on topic.

(i know i've dug it up from god knows how long ago but i dont care)

Another thing wot grinds my gears: The poor ergonomics (among other things) of the Kalashnikov rifle.

If they radically redesign certain elements of the AK-101 and it's magazines, I'd be for it (being issued as a replacement for the M16 family).

Thing one: Integrate a bolt catch into the magazine. Why? becuase you're used to it on your armalite and like not having to charge the weapon, ergo making sure that you KNOW it's loaded and good to go?

Thing two: Improve the quality of the sights. A notch-and-post might be cheap and easy to produce, but it's hard as f___ to use well, as compare to a peep-and-post sighting system.

Notch and post sights are perfectly fine, thankyouvery much. Shotguns have them, Pistols have them, some, if not most SMG's have them. why are 'ghost rings' or 'peep sights' so much better?

Thing three: Improve the ergonomics: a larger pistol grip, a longer, folding and telescoping stock, a better placed and designed safety and fire selector switch, and a brass deflector. (A longer forgrip might also be included, as well as a slightly longer barrel for a rifle variant and a fourteen-inch barreled carbine variant.)

You want a longer stock? Buy a 101, or other export version. the stocks are perfectly fine in length. anybody can use them comfortably. Me - 6'5 with longer than average arms, and my best mate - about 5'3, so the stocks not a problem. As for folding, well... pretty much after the AK-74M, they mostly all fold. The fire select/safety i agree, could do with some work, but all it needs is a fold of metal halfway down it, in order for the shooter to use it without changing the grip too drastically. As for a brass deflector, well... do you REALLY need one? people have been firing AK's both right and left handed for years without any major problem, as far as I'm aware. As for the longer barreled version... Why? the brits are fine with just the L85 A2...  and the carbine? well.. again, the brits are fine, and so, it appears, are the russians... Why d'you want so much from such an already fine weapon?

As for the pistol grip... well... I dont like G36 pistol grips.. or Armalites... hell, im not even that love struck on the AK one. but it does the job it's meant to. that's all you can ask of it, really.

Thing four: Modify the bolt so that the bolt handle is ambidextrous.

Err.... why? its not ambi on the Type 89. its not ambi on the L85A2... why should the AK be any different?

Thing five: Add an ambidextrous bolt release.

...Again, why? are people really so lazy that they not only want a bolt release, they want to be able to do it with whatever hand they want? Pistols get by with a non-ambi bolt release... some SMGs (im thinking TMP here) do as well.

Thing six: Use 'Earth Brown' polymer furniture and kit it out with 20mm rails on three sides.

You can already buy rail kits for it, made by various people. as for 'earth brown' furnature, buy some krylon.

Thing seven: Modify the reciever design so that the rear sight may be placed at the rear of the reciever.

...No thanks. i like it the way it is. Otherwise, you'd lose the zero each time you stripped it down/cleaned it/un jammed it/ etc.

Thing eight: Place a 20mm rail on the top of the reciever in the form of a carry handle, with the bolt handle underneath it (and 'hollow' so that the iron sights may be used).

So basically... stick an Armalite 'carry handle' on it?

Thing nine: Build a series of sights, illuminated and otherwise, reflex and telescopic specifically around the weapon.

AHEM. they already exist. do some research please ( www.kalinkaoptics.com www.posp.ru )

Thing ten: Redesign the muzzle brake so that it's half flashhider and half muzzlebrake (a la the Type-89).

...errm.. why? the AK 74 muzzle break is both of these.

Variants would include a 24" heavy-barrel Automatic Rifle, a 20" barrel Assault Rifle, a 14" barrel Carbine, and a 6" barrel Machine Carbine. Optional gear would include the usual array of foregrips and so forth, with folding bipods that fit to the barrel of the AutoRifle and the AssaRifle and the bayonet lugs would be modified to accept M9 bayonets (and similar).

So... you've not heard about the RPK then? and the AKSU? foregrips are available with vert foregrips, rails etc. bipods are available, Bayonet lugs already exist on a majority of the weapons.

Another pair of variants would be a DMR chambered in .30-06 with a 26" barrel and Battle Rifle chambered in 7.62mm NATO with a 20" barrel.

SVD exists, and is a variant. so is the Zavasta rifle (even closer to a 'normal' AK)

Iraqi style 'Tabuk' rifle has a longer barrel, making it perfect for DM work.

Once you've done that... then I'd be all for it.

So, pretty much, once you strip the thing down, and re-build it as an Armalite, you'd like it! lovely! well, i'll just send a quick email off to Izmash and Tula, telling them they're making their rifles wrong, and the world will be righted!

EDIT: Bloody spelling. <_<

people like THAT grind my gears.

"yeah... well... i'd like it more if you changed so much it was actually a different gun. lets make it feed from STANAG mags too, oh, and change the calibre."

It wont change, you can make it change easily enough if you're really bothered. But, i doubt you are. so stop whinging.

<various non-sensical BS>

People like you grind my gears.

The Kalashnikov is a flawed design, simple as. But you're defending the design as though it were Holy Writ. Well. If you had a religion, anyway.

Why? becuase you're used to it on your armalite and like not having to charge the weapon, ergo making sure that you KNOW it's loaded and good to go?

So that when you're firing semi-auto, the first hint that you need to slap a fresh mag in doesn't go like this: *CLICK!* As the hammer falls on an empty chamber. Having a bolt that holds itself open is a much better (and faster, safer) indicator that you're out of ammo than having to manually check the bolt. If the bolt holds itself open, you'll see out of the corner of your eye that the charging handle is not forward and know that your rifle has either jammed or you need a new magazine.

Notch and post sights are perfectly fine, thankyouvery much. Shotguns have them, Pistols have them, some, if not most SMG's have them. why are 'ghost rings' or 'peep sights' so much better?

Fine then. The sights on the Kalashnikov suck. They were manufactured and designed poorly. I don't know anyone who can use them quickly and effectively. Both the notch and post need to be bigger.

As for a brass deflector, well... do you REALLY need one? people have been firing AK's both right and left handed for years without any major problem, as far as I'm aware.

Except for catching hot brass with their teeth?

As for the longer barreled version... Why? the brits are fine with just the L85 A2... and the carbine? well.. again, the brits are fine, and so, it appears, are the russians... Why d'you want so much from such an already fine weapon?

Why a longer barrel? Because a longer barrel gives the weapon longer range and greater accuracy. The L85A1/A2 both have full length 20" barrels in them. The Kalashnikov has, I believe, an 18" barrel.

And the people who have the resources to modify the Kalashnikov design and choose to adopt it as their service rifle do so. It's not a 'fine design' if everyone is changing it towards what I described, now is it?

Nations that have their own, domestically produced, modified Kalashnikovs: Israel, Switzerland, PRChina, South Africa, Finland. They all have the resources to modify the design and they have. And most, if not all, have been modified to the point where they would make an acceptable service weapon for a professional army.

As for the pistol grip... well... I dont like G36 pistol grips.. or Armalites... hell, im not even that love struck on the AK one. but it does the job it's meant to. that's all you can ask of it, really.

So you're happy using Sten Mk IIs instead of MP5s? SMLEs instead of SA80s?

If you want something that just gets the job done, you can go back to throwing spears. If you want something that gets the job done while being more comfortable for the operator, well, that's what firearms with rifled barrels firing self-contained charges were invented for. And we have a whole field dedicated to making things comfortable: it's called ERGONOMICS. Something the Kalashnikov doesn't have.

Err.... why? its not ambi on the Type 89. its not ambi on the L85A2... why should the AK be any different?

Because the Type 89 was designed for Japanese shooters and the SA80 was so full of small design flaws for its first decade and a half that it really isn't surprising that there would be larger design defects, like poorly designed and laid-out controls, as well as the complete inability to fire the weapon left-handed.

...Again, why? are people really so lazy that they not only want a bolt release, they want to be able to do it with whatever hand they want? Pistols get by with a non-ambi bolt release... some SMGs (im thinking TMP here) do as well.

Because if you're going to allow lefties to shoot the damned gun, you might as well let them reload it, too.

...No thanks. i like it the way it is. Otherwise, you'd lose the zero each time you stripped it down/cleaned it/un jammed it/ etc.

Tell that to the Chinese, Finns, Israelis, Swiss, and South Africans. I'm sure they'd love to be informed that their rifles lose their zero everytime the fieldstrip their rifles. And then they'd laugh and tell you that they don't field strip their rifles the same way the Russians do.

So basically... stick an Armalite 'carry handle' on it?

I was thinking more along the lines of a G36 carry handle or a permanently attached high scope mount, but sure.

AHEM. they already exist. do some research please ( www.kalinkaoptics.com www.posp.ru )

AHEM. I'm well aware of the scopes designed for the flawed Kalashnikov rifle. I'm talking about scopes designed for a new, improved Kalashnikov rifle.

...errm.. why? the AK 74 muzzle break is both of these.

It's neither. The AK-74 muzzlebreak reflects Russian post-World War II thinking: Automatic fire and lots of it. The muzzlebreak on the AK-74 is designed solely to reduce the recoil of the rifle when it is firing in full-automatic. It is not designed to hide the muzzle flash and reduce the likelihood of the soldier firing the weapon being spotted by the enemy.

If you look at the design of the AK-74 muzzlebreak, you'll note that it's design only pushes gases back (the larger opening in the break) and up and to the right (three smaller holes closer to the barrel).

So... you've not heard about the RPK then? and the AKSU? foregrips are available with vert foregrips, rails etc. bipods are available, Bayonet lugs already exist on a majority of the weapons.

The bayonet lugs on the Kalashnikov rifle fit Russian bayonets. Not American bayonets. Do some research on the Kalashnikov next time, why doncha?

And again, the thing what you were referencing would be the improved Kalashnikov, not the original, heavily flawed design.

SVD exists, and is a variant. so is the Zavasta rifle (even closer to a 'normal' AK)

Iraqi style 'Tabuk' rifle has a longer barrel, making it perfect for DM work.

None of which accept the .308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO or the .30-06.

So, pretty much, once you strip the thing down, and re-build it as an Armalite, you'd like it! lovely! well, i'll just send a quick email off to Izmash and Tula, telling them they're making their rifles wrong, and the world will be righted!

I wouldn't say that all would be righted. But they'll probably sell a lot more rifles than they do now. (Which is, to say, not a whole lot.)

"yeah... well... i'd like it more if you changed so much it was actually a different gun. lets make it feed from STANAG mags too, oh, and change the calibre."

I forgot that part! Of course, the mag well will have to be redesigned, but it would stand a better chance of actually selling, then, wouldn't it?

Let's be frank. Mikhail Kalashnikov knew how to design a rifle for conscripts fresh from the farm. He did not know how to design a rifle for professional soldiers and if he ever heard of 'ergonomics', it was clearly after a couple drinks too many.

The design was and is flawed. I put forth various manners with which to improve the design, to take it from a fifty-year old dinosaur, into a new century.

You know what really grinds my gears?

People like this, who tell people to chill out in a thread entitled "You know what really grinds my gears?"

Seriously Samm you should know what to expect :)

Yeah it's just a vicious circle isn't it, chummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmp ;)

Jagdraben you need to check your "facts" ;) If Rk-62 is just an improved version of Ak-47, then why it would be taken apart differently? Try it for yourself http://www.mil.fi/ruotuvaki/aamukampa/kampa.php

Luisti means Bolt handle, Laatikon kansi means Top of the receiver, Palautinjousi is the spring that keeps the top of the receiver on place and returns the bolt to forward position. Lipas means mag. (Or clip as most of the people in military says :P ) Kaasumännän suojaputki is the pipe where the gas to operate blowback-mechanism go. Lukko is bolt.

Galil is actually placed on blueprints and machines bought from Finland, so it is based on Finnish rk instead of the original Ak-47. And if you want to complain about Ak-47, maybe we should compare it to the first and original M-16 used in Vietnam :P And why should Ak use western ammunition or mags when where they use it (for example Afghanistan) the eastern ammunition is plenty. Besides, isn't the original Ak-47 the most used assault rifle worldwide? The sights are pretty small though, but they're good for moving targets and dark enviroment, like night. And you can keep your aim while charging the weapon with the original bolt handle. Brass deflector is completely unnecessary, at least in Rk. The shells go to forward right.

No hard feelings thou Jagd ^_^ I just had the need to speak about guns I know B)

What grinds my gears... oh gosh, the things that come to mind. I will be gracious and only share one. The people that whine and complain about "pain" in airsoft, someone did this at a game a few weeks back. I just looked at them and said, "ever been plastered by a fully automatic paintball gun... on the side of the head and neck, from about fifteen feet away? didn't think so, now be quiet about this pain stuff."

iirc, didnt the ak-47 actually have a fairly short service life?

It was replaced by the AKM - an improved version in terms of redesigned ergonomics and manufacturing/mass production aspects - fairly quickly and it is in fact the AKM that got to be the most widely used assault rifle, not the AK-47.

The 'AK-47' - when referred to in most peoples terms - is just a generic name really, a misnomer almost, when it should really be the AKM.

What grinds my gear is those guys who appear in their first airsoft game with an armalite or MP5 all pimped up (really sometimes the gun weights more because of the stuff they add than the gun itself) and who don't declare themselves dead because if they have such ubber dupper supa gun then, they can't possibly die... They usually go dressed in a black BDU and a black tactical vest to a woodland game... Sad really...

Cheers...

Archived