Physical Fitness and Airsoft

craftiest

Even in the military you don't need to be very fit to get in. Check out these Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) standards for ACTIVE duty. Non-active duty is a bit less.

Minimum:

53 situps (2 minutes)

42 pushups (2 minutes)

15:54 2 mile run

So, what are your thoughts on fitness in airsoft and should it be encouraged in your team? I don't expect my teamates to be like the governator but I think it would be good for them to have some endurance to skirmish the whole day and be fine.

edit: it goes lower and lower depending on your age group

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the rule on my team: if you slow down the team, regardless of gear, you’re out. That means that SAW gunners have to move just as fast as pointmen, who have to move just as fast as snipers (standing up, of course). This means that the entire team will be as fast as the fastest person. This also means that the team's fitness level will only increase.

It depends what you mean by being able to skirmish the whole day. I've never been particularly fit because I'm ill all the time. Sometimes this means I have to take it easy for a game or two or even sit out for an hour. I can still have fun and enjoy playing airsoft.

As long as you're not totally incapable of propelling yourself, you should be able to have some fun. I wouldn't criticise someone else for not being able to keep up, it's their money and if they can't take full part in the game (as I sometimes can't) it's none of your business.

I won't say names (as I don't know them anyways) but there are a few guys at my skirmish who are like really out of shape. Their shape is more round then would be healthy to skirmish in.

Fitness should be encouraged for safety and health reasons. You should not be out airsofting in 110*F heat when you get tired walk up a few stairs. As with any sport people should do at lease some conditioning work outs three times a week.

I won't say names (as I don't know them anyways) but there are a few guys at my skirmish who are like really out of shape. Their shape is more round then would be healthy to skirmish in.

Fitness should be encouraged for safety and health reasons. You should not be out airsofting in 110*F heat when you get tired walk up a few stairs. As with any sport people should do at lease some conditioning work outs three times a week.

Yes thats very true. Airsoft is a sport, and like all sports, (even videogaming! ask fatal1ty!) you need to be conditioned to a point.

I have some extra weight on me, but I can still move and fight just as well as the other guy. You have to be in shape, maybe not military grade fighitng, unless of course you're playing milsim. I've seen guys who are lighter than me and probably better than me in combat ending up towards the middle and later games getting shot for stupid mistakes and their fatigue (I'm hearty...)

i don't care if you get puffed out climbing stairs as long as you can airsoft and take it to the other guy on a regular basis your in.

personally i'm not overly unfit but i'd prolly qualify for the army training wise. medically not a chance however.

pete

I am pretty fit as i live a very demanding lifestyle.

BUT

i think its just plain wrong to not allow thoose with weight issues to skrimish.

Are they not allowed to have fun?

You would be surprised what some people have within themselves when it comes to fitness.

Im not saying you are in the wrong, if its your game/team/site its your rules.

Even in the military you don't need to be very fit to get in. Check out these Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) standards for ACTIVE duty. Non-active duty is a bit less.

Minimum:

53 situps (2 minutes)

42 pushups (2 minutes)

15:54 2 mile run

So, what are your thoughts on fitness in airsoft and should it be encouraged in your team? I don't expect my teamates to be like the governator but I think it would be good for them to have some endurance to skirmish the whole day and be fine.

edit: it goes lower and lower depending on your age group

Mind you, that those are for the Army, which is different than the Marine Corp's. IMO, physical fitness is required in airsoft. You spend $1,000+ on guns and gear? That's great, so have I. But how about we put more dedication into our choice of hobby and spend some time into getting fit. I don't see a bunch of fat guys in the military, and since airsoft is milsim...

EDIT: I guess I just stereotyped, when I say fat people, I just mean unfit people, those who can't keep up with the group.

I knew that this idea was gonna get flamed. Point being that a large portion of airsofters are well, not to be rude. But fat. I don't think they need to stick to a excersise plan. some larger people are quite good at airsoft. Might not move as much, but you can use that to your advantage in some cases.

My team for one does have days where the team will just go on a run for an hour and a half. We strongly encourage fitness.

I don't care how unfit a guy is. I have a guy that I play with thats pretty round but I would never stop somone from playing in our group because of a weight issue. Thats just plain mean. I merely encourage it. Just like all friends should do. Encourage eachother to be healthy.

Mind you, that those are for the Army, which is different than the Marine Corp's. IMO, physical fitness is required in airsoft. You spend $1,000+ on guns and gear? That's great, so have I. But how about we put more dedication into our choice of hobby and spend some time into getting fit. I don't see a bunch of fat guys in the military, and since airsoft is milsim...

Yes, I know its for the Army. It says "Army Physical Fitness Test".

i think its just plain wrong to not allow thoose with weight issues to skrimish.

Are they not allowed to have fun?

You would be surprised what some people have within themselves when it comes to fitness.

Im not saying you are in the wrong, if its your game/team/site its your rules.

Hey, I don't care if they have weight issues. As long as they aren't slowing anyone down, they can weigh 400lbs and shoot out of a golf cart. I honestly don't care.

*EDIT*

I noticed that your comment wasn't directed at me. Sorry, my mistake. :P

I knew that this idea was gonna get flamed. Point being that a large portion of airsofters are well, not to be rude. But fat. I don't think they need to stick to a excersise plan. some larger people are quite good at airsoft. Might not move as much, but you can use that to your advantage in some cases.

My team for one does have days where the team will just go on a run for an hour and a half. We strongly encourage fitness.

true, most of us have at least a beer belly. thats because we're office workers and grafters, it tech's and the like. i like the idea of fitness but if i said to my team, hey lets go for a run they'd throw their empty pint glasses at me. ;)

point is airsoft can be what you want it to be. it can be milsim, it can be the step before you join the army/navy/marines/airforce it can be a humerous past time or it can be a laugh with your mates.

Do what you want to do, Do Airsoft.

pete

Yes, I know its for the Army. It says "Army Physical Fitness Test".

You said you don't need to be very fit to be in the military. I said that, that said Army, becuase first of all, the Army is NOT the military. And second of all, there are other branches of the military which have higher standards, such as the Marine Corps.

Apologies.

Here are the Marine standards for the semi-annual fitness test.

3 pullups

50 crunches

3 mile run in 28 minutes

goes down as you get older

For the PFT classification:

You need 225 points to pass and depending on how many pullups/cruntches your do and how fast you run will determine your points in each event.

1st Class:

This is the top of the classes out of 3. The stats are if you scored 75 in each event to make the 225 points.

15 pullups

75 cruntches

3 miles in 22:10

2nd class: 175 points

3rd class: 135 points

goes down as you get older

You said you don't need to be very fit to be in the military. I said that, that said Army, becuase first of all, the Army is NOT the military. And second of all, there are other branches of the military which have higher standards, such as the Marine Corps.

Yes but the Army IS part of the military to my knowledge. So if you were to get into the Army, you would be in the military right?

Yes, the Army IS PART OF the military. And you would be IN the military. However, the Army IS NOT the military.

It's similar to school. Yes, High School is apart of school. And you would be in school. But High School is not school.

It's also similar to government. Yes, the Department of Defense is apart of the government, and you would be in the government. But the Department of Defense is not the government.

BTW: There's more to Boot Camp then the physical test. The physical test is definitly not the hardest part of it.

The Marine Corps PFT isn't that much different from the Army PFT. We have to run two miles and do push-ups, whereas the Marine Corps has to do pull-ups and run three miles. Both branches must do sit-ups (or "crunches" according to the MC).

Granted that last mile might change things...

I highly suggest getting in shape. Not only will you be able to move around more adequately, but the possibility of dying from cancer/heart attack/whatever decreases dramatically.

Keep in mind that you have to do more than run around for an hour to get in shape. Cleaning up your diet is necessary, and will speed things up (especially if you're obese from the get-go).

Our team has no limits. Everyone except for my Dad is in good shape, and my Dad is trying to get there.

I really don't care, as long as the person can shoot and puts forth effort.

Yes, the Army IS PART OF the military. And you would be IN the military. However, the Army IS NOT the military.

It's similar to school. Yes, High School is apart of school. And you would be in school. But High School is not school.

It's also similar to government. Yes, the Department of Defense is apart of the government, and you would be in the government. But the Department of Defense is not the government.

BTW: There's more to Boot Camp then the physical test. The physical test is definitly not the hardest part of it.

I swear to god your just out to get me.

I said,

"Even in the military you don't need to be very fit to get in." I did not state that the Army IS the military. The Army IS part of the military so, as I said before, being in the Army counts as being in the military. Now if you would expect me to post every single physical test requirement known to existence in every branch of the military, no dice. I posted the Army requirements as an example. You dont have to go all crazy over every post I make. Further discussion is redundant and irrelevant to this topic.

Anyways, back on topic.

Archived