Physical Fitness and Airsoft

craftiest

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fitness in airsoft is all very good, but it seems to me that you regard all the "unfit" people as being fat. For me it's the complete opposite. Im extremely thin and at the beginning it really took a lot out of me but even in saying that i think its really improved my fitness levels and i'd recommend the sport to anyone try to lose some pounds or build up some muscle.

I don't think fitness is important at all in airsoft, people play at their own pace which is one of the things that makes it great as it attracts all sorts.

As for me i've been in the infantry for years so fitness is part of my daily routine.

Darkchild

i do find hugely fat people waddleing around and panting when they move 1m quite funny. Airsoft has to have some fitness or we'd all just stand there, 50stone and shoot at each others bellies...

I run reqularly, have a weights rageme, and keep myself at army fittness levels, (mainly because i have to), but its nice to be able to get to an objective first and chill while you wait for the other team to waddle into contact

and i have no problems with fat people in airsoft, they give me a bigger target to aim at :D

I could honestly care less how big someone is when playing. They are paying money to play and beign active with their time, I say let them play.

Granted, if you are heavier, your "fun" could deminish. I have seen some very "large" people playing before, and they always seemed to be sitting out, but at least they showed up and made an attempt. No matter how milsim you want airsoft to be, it will never be the military. Since it will never be the military, I see no point in trying to hold people to a military style standard. The military is a way of life, thus it is easier to stay in good shape, but no matter what anyone says, airsoft is just a sport/hobby, and not really a "way of life"

Also, I have seen some "bigger" dudes play throughout an entire days game not taking any extra breaks, where as the skinny in shape dude has had to take a rest here and there.

-just my opinions-

I guess it is true that if you want everyone to be in military shape then join the military, after all Airsoft is a game. However, Airsoft is a sport. I guess for just fun skirmishing fitness doesn't matter at all (to an extent). But when you are doing some serious milsim or theres a cash prize, heck I want my team to be fit.

Yeah i understand how it can make the difference between a good player and a decent player. But when a person wants to play and they have a little xtra around the middle let them play. Its good to have someone guard the rear. I dont think i could qualify for that 3 mile run. BUt in airsoft alot of time its more methodical movement, and running ususally occurs in sprints which i have definetly seen tubby guys do. Since we are talking about airsoft and health its even scarier to see a guy have to drop out of a round to smoke a cigarette, or have to light up after every game.

I find airsoft good fitness training anyway. Especially in 2-3 hour games when you have to carry rifle,sidearm,6000bbs,4 batteries,3ltr Camelbak and assualt vest full of other equipment. In my case this added up 9-10 kilos of kit sometimes more when i carry a sniper rifle as well as an aeg.

Many of the people i play with arent fit but they arent fat either theyre just in between with a beer belly.

Even in the military you don't need to be very fit to get in. Check out these Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) standards for ACTIVE duty. Non-active duty is a bit less.

Minimum:

53 situps (2 minutes)

42 pushups (2 minutes)

15:54 2 mile run

So, what are your thoughts on fitness in airsoft and should it be encouraged in your team? I don't expect my teamates to be like the governator but I think it would be good for them to have some endurance to skirmish the whole day and be fine.

edit: it goes lower and lower depending on your age group

Those requirements are ridiculously easy.

And I classify myself as a bigger guy, I'm 6'1" and weigh 225lbs.

I run 15 miles a week and go to the gym 3-4 times a week as well to lift or box.

Those requirements are ridiculously easy.

And I classify myself as a bigger guy, I'm 6'1" and weigh 225lbs.

I run 15 miles a week and go to the gym 3-4 times a week as well to lift or box.

Want a coooooookie?

How much of that 225LBS is fat? Considering your weekly routine, I would guess that a majority of it is muscle, which would make you quite lean.

That said, of course you could do those PFT's easily, especially if you box.

Being physically fit can improve your day to day life. As I said in my earlier post, I HIGHLY suggest looking into getting fit.

But, just because you ran around in 3,000LBS of gear for 5 hours does NOT mean you can go home and eat your fat cakes.

Want a coooooookie?

How much of that 225LBS is fat? Considering your weekly routine, I would guess that a majority of it is muscle, which would make you quite lean.

Being physically fit can improve your day to day life. As I said in my earlier post, I HIGHLY suggest looking into getting fit.

But, just because you ran around in 3,000LBS of gear for 5 hours does NOT mean you can go home and eat your fat cakes.

Well said.

Oh, are you in the military? If so, what branch?

15 miles, haha, i think im too lazy to run that much. 7-8 a week is fine for me.

Want a coooooookie?

Nah, no cookies for me.

I think maybe like...25 - 35 lbs is fat? *booohooohooo*

Actually, I had a deep friend Oreo this past Friday. Good Lord those should be outlawed by the FDA.

I run four miles three times a week. That was recently two miles, and I imagine that in a few weeks it'll probably be six. I also do the punching bag after I run, and I'm going to take a weight lifting class at school, so I'll probably be buff by the end of the school semester. =)

I played a game with an overwieght, unfit fellow, and he was panting a lot, but since the local field is mostly CQB, it didn't present any problems. I was more worried about him hitting anything, because he was using a P90TR without a sight. Aparently his red dot ran out of batteries, so he just took it off... Whatever. Spare batteries? Why would I carry those in my gear?

I've probably got five or ten pounds extra. It's those dang Otter Pops, I swear. I eat like five a day, and the box is only half empty... You'd be surprised how long 200 Otter Pops will last.

um that sounds rediculously easy,I like being healthy and its fun running and working out in genneral I run two miles and do 100 pushups and 100 situps every night.It makes you feel good but regardless a 10 year old kid who cant keep up with everyone could be in a skrimish and have just as much fun as a 20 year old adult,the same applys to fat people.

**edit** by easy I mean the requiernments I think most "people"(not most americans :( ) could complete those tasks.

oh and WOOT!!! 100TH POST!!!!

but airsoft is milsim - then I can see you need milsim levels of fitness

but airsoft is a sport - then you need a sporting level of fitness

but airsoft is a passtime/bit of fun - then in all honesty you need neither of above

I can see the potential for fitness levels being an issue when you have one persons whos fitmess is a dramatic mismatch to rest of the team or the activity he/she is taking part in.

Personally I'm one of those folks who treat it as no more than a bit of fun and play with folks who consider it the same as a result Im fit enough for how we play.. If i wasnt Id just find some fatter bastards to play with :)

Archived