Physical Fitness and Airsoft

craftiest

um that sounds rediculously easy,I like being healthy and its fun running and working out in genneral I run two miles and do 100 pushups and 100 situps every night.It makes you feel good but regardless a 10 year old kid who cant keep up with everyone could be in a skrimish and have just as much fun as a 20 year old adult,the same applys to fat people.

**edit** by easy I mean the requiernments I think most "people"(not most americans :( ) could complete those tasks.

oh and WOOT!!! 100TH POST!!!!

Do 1000 push ups then talk to me! I might give you a free beer.

anyways.. lets not turn this into a.. wada you bench?? thead eh?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What the? A deep fried oreo?

Oh hey you live in San Jose? I live in San Francisco. Where do you play?

back on topic

I've read somewhere that small people like big people on their team because they can run behind them. haha mean but funny

Yeah, what are otterpops?

Clicky.

flavoriceimages.jpg

Orchid Bay Airsoft FTW.

but airsoft is milsim - then I can see you need milsim levels of fitness

but airsoft is a sport - then you need a sporting level of fitness

but airsoft is a passtime/bit of fun - then in all honesty you need neither of above

I can see the potential for fitness levels being an issue when you have one persons whos fitmess is a dramatic mismatch to rest of the team or the activity he/she is taking part in.

Personally I'm one of those folks who treat it as no more than a bit of fun and play with folks who consider it the same as a result Im fit enough for how we play.. If i wasnt Id just find some fatter bastards to play with :)

I doubt all the delta force milsimmers have the fitness to fit the bill lol

Personally if some lazy guy or girl wants to pay to airsoft then do nothing or cant be bothered to do anything then i'd just leave them to it. Its their money they're wasting but then maybe they enjoy camping in a bunker somewhere or sitting in the dead zone.....

Even in the military you don't need to be very fit to get in. Check out these Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) standards for ACTIVE duty. Non-active duty is a bit less.

Minimum:

53 situps (2 minutes)

42 pushups (2 minutes)

15:54 2 mile run

So, what are your thoughts on fitness in airsoft and should it be encouraged in your team? I don't expect my teamates to be like the governator but I think it would be good for them to have some endurance to skirmish the whole day and be fine.

edit: it goes lower and lower depending on your age group

In the USAF we have to do 50 pushups and 50 situps in 1 minute each and 1.5 miles in 11:45. Three failures and you're out.

I don't know the age limits or whatever, we use some point system I never really took the time to study. I just know I pass.

But, yeah, in every military branch in the world there will always and forever be the overweight slobs. Just hope that they're not the one you have to depend on pulling your wounded *albatross* out of the line of fire.

For airsoft, I don't play with a lot of guys under 25. In fact, most are over 40. But they're so good, they seem to get my semi-fit *albatross* every time.

Except that Army reservist. I think he cheats <_<

I doubt all the delta force milsimmers have the fitness to fit the bill lol

hey i was just trying to boost their egos a little lol

Personally if some lazy guy or girl wants to pay to airsoft then do nothing or cant be bothered to do anything then i'd just leave them to it.  Its their money they're wasting but then maybe they enjoy camping in a bunker somewhere or sitting in the dead zone.....

indeed - whatever floats their boat IMO, as long as they're enjoying it arent causing a nuisance and willing to take their hits I dont see the harm (cant see it being all that exciting, but if it gets them out the house and a bit of air around their gills...)

No, you don't have to be fit to play airsoft. But being fit is an advantage.

Correct. Fitness is physical and mental. No matter how "pumped up" you are, you will get fatigued. This is where the mental part comes in. You must pick yourself up and keep going in spite of the fatigue. Then again, everyone has limitations.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Well said.

Oh, are you in the military? If so, what branch?

15 miles, haha, i think im too lazy to run that much. 7-8 a week is fine for me.

I'm in the Army Delayed Entry Program and leave for Basic Combat Training in roughly two weeks. I am technically not a soldier until the end of BCT, so I don't go around telling everyone I'm military.

Nah, no cookies for me.

I think maybe like...25 - 35 lbs is fat?  *booohooohooo*

Actually, I had a deep friend Oreo this past Friday.  Good Lord those should be outlawed by the FDA.

Gah, that's what, 13.3% BF? Not bad at all, really. Better than what I'm at, though I have no idea how much of me is fat :(

Well, I think fitness is important in airsoft. Both mental and physical.

A lot of people I know play airsoft because it helps their physical fitness. But it also builds and works on mental fitness.

Without "fitness", you don't have the speed or the endurance to last a day.

Airsoft-Gruntwork is a strange thing, it builds on physical and mental fitness, but it also about endurance and speed. It requires you to be constantly alert for hours, patrolling with gear and rifle, while during engagments it requires you to be able to give out bursts of mental and physical strength for the assault.

The only thing it does not exercise mentally and physically is flexibility.

For day games I carry 4kg in webbing, 5 kg in water, plus a lite day pack with extra water, ghillie wraps, ammo, gas, poncho, food. Again its a small amount compared with what would be carried on my normal Issued packs.

Last game I was at was 10*C in 60kt winds and rainstorm.

I was just talking about Otter Pops yesterday, and I couldn't believe the person I was talking to had never heard of them, heh.

You part of SF Recon, or just play at Orchid Bay? You ever go to Ft. Ord?

And on the thread subject, I agree. You don't have to be fit, but it can be advantage. However, some of the best players I know would fit in the 'large' category.

I see all these comments about how all the "unfit" people are fat, but what about the skinny little turds who can't even hold their gun and/or balance while running during a skirmish? We got a few of those guys that play with us, one guy falls a few times just about every game :P

I fall into the lard *albatross* catagory, and I don't get much ###### for it; at least not to my ever so plump face. I do train infrequently because of work and familly life not affording my the time I once had.

I've known bigger dudes then me that play and have fun sweating, panting, and sucking for traction. Its all good if they're having fun, and hey; if they can develop some healthy lifestyle habits out of it all the better. The only people I don't want to see play are the poor sports and cheaters.

I see all these comments about how all the "unfit" people are fat, but what about the skinny little turds who can't even hold their gun and/or balance while running during a skirmish? We got a few of those guys that play with us, one guy falls a few times just about every game :P

haha well the "skinny turds" kinda last longer then the big jugernauts. maybe thats why marui makes plastic guns.. hmmm haha :D

I was just talking about Otter Pops yesterday, and I couldn't believe the person I was talking to had never heard of them, heh.

I know! They're so delicious. And cheap! How anyone in the US can not know of them defies me.

You part of SF Recon, or just play at Orchid Bay?

Nope. Only been there three times... haven't had my airsoft gun that long. And I've been broke ever since I got it... Not many chances to go.

You ever go to Ft. Ord?

I know nothing about it.

Heheheh. I'm so taking Otter Pops to the next game. You'll know it's me if I'm on a chair that I brought, my M4 Benelli shotgun on a chair for itself, and I'm drinking cold water and frozen Otter Pops which I shall store in a cooler.

Archived