I posted this a shorter version of this in the review database, but I wanted some feedback so here’s the full review (this is my first review so it’s probably not very good, so if you could tell me where I’ve gone wrong etc).

Ordering

I had been looking to buy my first gas pistol for a couple of weeks, and only had £100 to buy all the stuff I needed to run and maintain it. So I went on zeroone and found the KJW glock 23, and for £65 it fitted my budget. So I added 5000 black ICS BBs and 2 bottles of ICS green gas with some silicon spray, and the total was £96.93.

I ordered it on Thursday but unfortunately it went out of stock on the same day :( Anyway they got it back in stock the next day and I had it by Monday afternoon :D .

First impressions

The first thing I noticed when I took it out of the box was just how heavy it was (well compared to my spring pistol, but its all I have to compare it with). With the mag in id say it weighs just a bit less than 1kg, around 700 grams. The whole of the outside of the gun is matt black, except for the safety/serial number which is silver. On the slide the markings read “G 23 40 SW”. On the shell ejection port it reads “.40 SW”. The main body of the gun has “KJ” on one side and “made in Taiwan Kuan Ju Works” and in very small type (hardly noticeable) “Gas Blowback system read manual before use”.

Operation

Loading and firing is just like any other GBB, and has a trigger pull of around 300 grams. To remove the slide you pull down the 2 little switches just above the trigger with the slide pulled back, then you just bring it forwards and the slide comes off. From here you can adjust the hop up by turning the little cog. I’m not sure but I think that turning it away from the recoil spring puts on more hop up, and the other way reduces it. To put the slide back on you just pull down the switches again, and push the slide back on the rails until it’s on fully and then release the switches.

The safety is turned of and on by moving the silver serial tag. Pulled in towards the main body of the gun turns the safety on and puling it towards the barrel turns it off.

Shooting

I don’t have access to a proper crono, but it puts a large dent in a cola can, but doesn’t quite go through (when using green gas at about 25 c). In these conditions I was getting around 50-60 shots from a 4-5 second fill of gas. ROF is quite good and I can empty the whole mag in about 4-5 seconds. The only down part about firing is the reloading, as theirs no catch, so u have to hold the spring down all the time your reloading, but its not a major problem.

Accuracy seemed quite good using ICS black bb’s, at 5 meters I got all the shots within 4 cm of the centre of the target, except one which was 6cm away from the centre(not sure how this compares but I’m not a very good shot, which doesn’t help). One slight problem with using it with a standard KJW mag is that you get a spray of liquid gas every time you fire, but this can be fixed by using a TM glock26 advanced mag.

I also bought a glock 26 advanced mag, as I was told they would work with the G23. The mag holds an extra 5 shots and when using one it reduces the amount of gas/liquid that’s blown out of the gun when it is fired. It also seems to make it slightly more powerful, and as a result probably more accurate. There are also a couple of problems I had with it. It seems to be slightly thicker than the kjw mags and as a result you have to press harder to get it in, and pull harder to get it out. You also have to fill it for longer than a normal g23 mag. One major problem I started having with it after the first couple of mags was that the slide would not come all the way back after being fired. I think this is because the mag is coming a bit too far up into the gun, but it may just be my gun/mag as others have said they do not experience this. Also to make the mag fit in smoothly you have to sand of the little metal bump between the 13 and 12 marking on the back of the mag. It will still fit if you don’t but it’s harder to put in and get out if you don’t.

Upgrades

In terms of external upgrades theirs a rail (20mm I think) which means you can add a laser, flashlight, scope rail etc. I haven' seen anything in the way of internal upgrades such as high flow valves, stronger recoil springs etc, but they may be compatible with some parts from other companies (i.e. the mags are almost the same as those of a TM glock 26 advanced (and the 26A mags fit the g23), so high flow valves could be then same).

Conclusion

Good

-Metal slide (sounds great and makes it more durable)

-nice weight (I make it to be around 700 grams with an empty mag)

-good power (on green gas anyway)

-fairly accurate as far as I can tell

-interesting safety (stops my brother firing it lol)

-good gas efficiency (counted 59 shots of a 5 second fill of gas)

Bad

-lack of internal upgrade parts

-slide is perhaps a bit loose and rattles as a result

-no catch to hold the mag spring down

-sprays gas using supplied mag (fixed by using a TM glock 26A mag)

-doesn’t always lock the slide back when the mags empty

-TM mags have to be pushed in harder, and don’t spring out as easily as normal mags, or have to sand the bump on the back

All in all I think this is a great gun, especially for the price, and would recommend it to anyone who’s looking for a cheap, reliable and powerful pistol.

I’ll take some pics latter today and put them in as well.

Here are the pics

left side of the gun

post-16313-1155503925_thumb.jpg

right side of the gun

post-16313-1155503953_thumb.jpg

top of the gun

post-16313-1155503984_thumb.jpg

view down the sights

post-16313-1155504021_thumb.jpg

the internals of the gun

post-16313-1155504077_thumb.jpg

post-16313-1155504094_thumb.jpg

the hop up adjustment cog

post-16313-1155504134_thumb.jpg

TM glock 26A mag and standard KJ mag (the one on the left is the TM)

post-16313-1155504163_thumb.jpg

This is the little metal bump you have to sand off to make the mag fit in properly

post-16313-1155504236_thumb.jpg

the gun with the TM mag

post-16313-1155504277_thumb.jpg

And finally the problem i have with the TM mag <_<

post-16313-1155504347_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to make a short edit to the review (well addition, i cant edit it). After a bit more use i would strongly advise agaisnt the use of TM G26A mags. On mine it seems the bit that hits the valve doesnt go back properly with them. One of my mags now makes the gun fire in full auto (but without firing any bbs) and the other makes gas shoot out the barrel while the slide remains perfectly still :huh:

great review,

one thing I will say is if you do another, try to separate it into sections, ie performance, looks, value, etc..

IMO it makes reviews far easier to read. Also if you use the tag to link to images, it no longer requires a thumbnail and means we can see the whole picture.

cheers :D