Should I be worried

Smith5

Ive just been sorting my kit out from the weekend and noticed a not insignificant dent in my mesh masks mesh. I remember maybe possibly being shot in the face by a pistol at fairly close range, but even if it wasnt I know this happened this last game day gone. Should I be worried that I have a dent that was potentially caused by a bb, not me hitting it on something? Is a bb likely to penetrate the mesh it it happenes agen?

Yes I am sligtly concerned that my eye protection might not be fully protecting my eyes. Any help or advice would be apreciated. Thanks

I've heard some stories about the mesh shattering into faces before - don't know how true they are. If your mask is possibly weakened wouldn't it be safer to buy new protection?? There are plenty of threads on here and other forums about how much do you value your eyesight!!

Mesh can with stand a number of hits berfore they become unreliable, depending on the quality of course. One main problem is that BBs may not go through the mask, but will shatter. Sharp BB frags can be dangerous... Also, I think I saw this on another forum...

Edit: Mesh Testing w/ Pics Yeah, I think this is it...

GR, I think you'r forgetting, some of us hate the gift, or curse, of vision so maybe we shouldn't wear eye protection.....or maybe we should....

:blink:

alright, I'm done. I suggest replacing it with a v-force mask. they are much more confortable because the foam around the eyes is closed cell, rather than open cell, and doesn't itch nearly as much. in addition, they don't fog nearly as bad as any mask or goggle I've used before.

Mesh can with stand a number of hits berfore they become unreliable, depending on the quality of course. One main problem is that BBs may not go through the mask, but will shatter. Sharp BB frags can be dangerous... Also, I think I saw this on another forum...

Edit: Mesh Testing w/ Pics Yeah, I think this is it...

if you look at that pic you can see that its no a hole its more of a line which means hes gone full auto at one place and with the tightness if the groupings its most likely from about an inch away plus the gun was at 375fps or there abouts which is 50 more than uk sites allow. unless someone was being an absolute prat that would never happen at a skirmish.

i'd like to see real mesh mask test with uk power limits and realistic engagement distances.

infact once i get my m15 and g-sepc chrono'd so i know the power i'll do a quick test.

I keep hearing about these "rumours" about mesh masks. I use one every week in close range CQB games and my mask is riddled with bb dents. NO shattered bbs have ever entered my mask. I'd trust the mesh over any plastic short of a ballistic rated goggles. Last game I took a PBR burst in the mesh with ann MP5, range maybe a foot, apart from the shock and a bit of flying sweat no problem. Same game another player gets hit in the eyelid, blood everywhere, scares everyone who saw it, luckily just his eyelid, above the tear duct, no damage to his eye, but the bb popped the lense out of his sealed glasses and he probably was hit by a follow up bb.

Mesh will flex and bend and dent, but does absorb the energy and may eventually fail however this is really unlikely unless your using very hot gun at PBR on a sustained burst. Plastic is more likely to fail due to its inherently brittle nature. If you accept that the mask is going to be subject to forces outside its design parameters then the plastic will fail catastrophically over a larger area whereas mesh will fail at a point.

As to bb fragments, has anyone actually looked at a shattered bb. To me they seem to break in the wrong axis for mesh penetration ( ie they hit and deform by splitting parallel to point of impact) and also to be too large to get throught the mesh

Archived