G&G L85 reveiw

Tank

Stealth - you reckon it's possible to redo the gears to fire like a normal AEG mate? I mean the whole, recocking itself thing after every shot does sound like a bit of a pain in the *albartroth* for a gun that has fully auto capabilty as well. I don't really understand it enough to think it through myself though.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stealth - you reckon it's possible to redo the gears to fire like a normal AEG mate? I mean the whole, recocking itself thing after every shot does sound like a bit of a pain in the *albartroth* for a gun that has fully auto capabilty as well. I don't really understand it enough to think it through myself though.

Not at the moment, given that the only set of gears which look like they might fit are from the PSG1 which has, uhhhh, the same system.

make this work right now you'd need to do quite a bit of work on the sector gear. You'd need to file off the cut-off cam then drill and tap a hole in the gear and fit a tiny grub screw (in a different place) to activate the cut-off as soon as the gun had fired.

TBH, I haven't looked at this hard enough yet. I haven't even had the lower gearbox in bits. I've only taken the upper off to replace the spring and had a poke about in the lower with a pick to verify the shims wer good and everything was decent quality.

the only way it has effected me is that the trigger has a much quicker response and feels like a real trigger rather than an airsoft one

So the dud shot every time you switch from auto to semi doesn't bother you?

Don't mean that to sound smarmy BTW. :)

I don't mind learning to adapt a bit and, for me, I just fire a shot in semi at the end of every firefight so that the gun will be ready to shoot in semi if required.

i can't say it had been very apparent , the only time i found it to happen (that i noticed) was going from safe/de cocked to semi

p.s i just realised that you are trying to fit M120 springs in a gun that does stock approx what an M120 would give you in another aeg !

why try and change to a M120 when it would (if it were a normal aeg) give you very little differance in FPS from the stock spring ?

I got my L85 today from AW, very fast service, top marks to them.

I'm 110% impressed with the gun. I've got a more elaborate review up in our team forums but the general outcome in my opinion is a gun which is worth every penny of its £300 (now £330) bill. And there in lies why it is better (imho) than the STAR version. Because the STAR version is no longer worth £400 even with the case. I'm not saying the STAR has always been that way, at one time if you wanted an L85 AEG then it was STAR or nothing which made a £400 price tag more bearable. But given the current climate of L85s I can't recommend people enough to not buy the STAR version. The G&G in my opinion is superior, and likely the ICS will compete to.

There is only one minor qualm I have with the gun, and that is that the rail wobbles ever so slightly. But it means its transmitted into the carry handle which has a degree of movement i'd rather it didn't. Otherwise its one of the best AEGs i've ever seen and certainly the best I've owned. I hope this continues throughout its life. I'll post a good solid review with pics after its been gamed on sunday (just because I hate reading reivews which start with "This is my first gun and it hasn't been skirmished yet...but I'm still going to tell you all about it"....

so the a2 version and the susat are expected in november ?

i'm going to buy one when most of the problems are sorted ( which i hope is is soon , and is it going to be the next batch ? or am i wrong...) and any more news on the a2 version and the susat ?

which problems ?

the only problem that people seem to be regularly having is the blowback hook which is designed to be weak. bloody good going for a first run IMO

I actually would have expected a real design problem to have come up other than the weak blowback hook which was designed to be that way and is easily fixed by either a small plate over the gearbox opening or disengaging the blowback

There is only one minor qualm I have with the gun, and that is that the rail wobbles ever so slightly. But it means its transmitted into the carry handle which has a degree of movement i'd rather it didn't.

So, ummm, tighten it up a bit.

Whip the upper off and tighten up the 3 screws which hold the rail on.

I seem to recall that you have to remove the mountings for the outer barrel to do this, so you need some allen keys, but it's pretty straightforward to do.

There are several people on this thread who are refusing to see what is right in front of them, just because it suits them. i can just imagine a press release for this gun.

'Oh G&G, what a fantastic gun you've made! is it really true that it's the best technological breakthrough since fire?'

'Yes, absolutely, this gun contains a hook specifically designed to break and fall into your gearbox, thereby producing very loud sound (not unlike that of gears stripping) which will warn you that your hook has broken and needs replacing!'

i agree that this gun is looking like a future alternative to the STAR, but not yet! please don't go telling noobs to buy it asap because it's the most reliable gun ever because it QUITE BLATANTLY ISN'T!!!

i'm not knocking the gun, i'm knocking the people who refuse to acknowledge that it has problems. just like the real one, this gun needs to go through some testing before it's going to live up to it's potential, so for god's sake wait and get a later generation, which will probably also be cheaper.

SS

are you even reading the problems this gun has had yet ?

no i would not advise noobs to buy this gun because to be quite frank they will simply trash any gun and this one is expensive.

This is not my only gun , i currently have 28 various guns by various manufactures and could not possibly recall how many aegs i have had in the last 16 years !

yes the hook is designed to break , no it was not supposed to fall into the gear box (but that is being sorted now) if the hook did not break and the bolt was interupted then greater damage would be caused !

now if we put the blowback aside for a minute what other issues have you seen with this gun ?

hopup?

motor?

wiring ?

anything else ?

come on if it has so many issues where are they ? please enlighten us

Got mine today too. I ran 600 rounds through it on full auto and semi with the blowback on. Didn't break. I've disabled the blowback now just in case.

Does everyone else find it really hard to get the sights on the rail?

Also, you mention the blowback hook falling into the gearbox is being fixed. How so? Will I be able to get the fix done on mine?

Archived