G&G L85 reveiw

Tank

I think a lot of people are giving this greif but there are reasons that for most of us (especially in the UK this might be better than the STAR)

Despite the prototype being 380-400fps the website advertises it at 80m/s - which is actually 262fps...I suspect this gun will actually fire at UK stock (around 300fps). Who's to say for sure though until it comes out.

As for blowback... it looks so easy to disable that its hardly an issue. The problem here seems to me to be that although G&G are considering the blowback to be 'consumable' they havent factored in the fact that when the blowback breaks its going to fall into the mechbox and damage a unique and likely hard to replace set of gears....another bit of brilliant thinking from G&G...maybe they'll do what they always do which is post up an article on their website and blame airsoft gun users for not knowing how to use their guns properly for causing the damage...it seems to lack the 'idiot proofing' that Marui, ICS, G&P, CA and others put in. It was this lack of idiot proofing that has caused issues with the GR300 etc.

However, I would love a STAR L85A2...at a push I could probably afford it especially direct from HK...but I'm not going to pay £500 for a gun + susat which fires at 400fps when almost all UK site limits are 328fps - 350fps max. 380+ is against the law for a full auto AEG. So if G&G bring out something comprable in quality to the STAR at £100 less, which fires at stock for someone like me its a strong contender.

Although I think I agree with the earlier post that - ICS all our hopes am belong to you.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's think about this lads, G&G £295 for the first 50. That's not a bad price.

However after that they are probably going to be up ~£340

Now that is only ~£60 lower than a Star, but with the Star you get the latest A2 and a £70 hardcase.

Doesn't look so well priced now.

Let's think about this lads, G&G £295 for the first 50.  That's not a bad price.

However after that they are probably going to be up  ~£340

Now that is only ~£60 lower than a Star, but with the Star you get the latest A2 and a £70 hardcase.

Yeah, but the G&G might work better.

I doubt it. The blowback looks fragile and may have to be disabled from the start. If that is the case then you may as well go for the STAR which gives you the option of upgrading to blowback (and in doing so gives you a spare gearbox!) plus all the gucci bits as noted by Pariah.

To be perfectly honest though, even if the G&G turns out to be better than the STAR I have had mine for nearly nine months now and it has had about 95,000 rounds through it with no faults. That £60-70 difference is a price I am willing to pay to have an excellent rifle that has done me proud with everything I could throw at it.

Let's think about this lads, G&G £295 for the first 50.  That's not a bad price.

1. STAR L85 announced. 6 month circlejerk thread in news forums.

2. STAR L85 comes out, sucks the big one and costs too much. Epic fail.

3. G&G L85 annouced. 6 month circlejerk thread in news forums about how it will be cheaper and uber better than STAR zomg0t.

4. G&G L85 comes out, sucks the big one and costs too much. Epic fail.

5. ICS L85 announced. . . circlejerking ensues. . . what next?

6. ?????

7. Profit!

Moral: wait till a well established manufacturer with a reputation for quality rather than guns that have to be modified straight out of the box makes the damn gun. Until then, stop your freaking whining.

Well if any of you have seen the Star M249 series Star updated the page and it no longer includes the hardcase which brought their price down to 595.00 which is 500.00 usually when hits the stores so hopefully Star will do the same with there L85A2.

admittedly £205 (?) is cheaper than the star currently available but still just that too far beyond reach at mo, :(

must look into selling uneeded body parts,

it does look seriously tasty, even the bolt action which seems bound to break and rip the gear box to shreds.

what do we think the chances of a small price drop are? slim im thinking.

still exciting news though

The price doesn't really bother me. The reliability isn't totally important.

Unless it looks like it's been made by a chimp from old rice krispies packaging the G&G has my vote purely because it can be field-stripped like a rifle rather than like a meccano toy.

In fact, if WGC have them on sale I'm off to place the order right now. :D

Good thing no one is forcing you buy it huh?

I'm interested, but will probably hold off until the dust settles. I'm also going to hold off and wait to see if someone releases a UGL that will fit underneath it. Unlike the AG36 launcher, the UGL for the L85 seems to incorporate a section of Pickatinny rail on the right side, which would be ideal for an AN/PEQ-2 replica. Trademarks are no big deal, as U.S. Customs require them to be removed or masked on the vast majority of imported airsoft guns.

I do have some questions, though, for those few people with first-hand experience with the G&G L85/SA80...

1) Is the cycling bolt actually realistic...I have no experience with the real L85 series, so I don't know if the real thing has a reciprocating bolt handle.

2) I'd like a definitive answer from someone with first-hand experience on whether the G&G gun will take standard gears/piston/cylinder, and if so what version.

3) Is the dovetail on the upper receiver a NATO standard (STANAG) rail, which is different from the Pickatinny style, but for which adapters can be found, or is it it's own, unique pattern.

4) How is the dovetail connected to the upper receiver (especially important if the dovetail is of a unique pattern).

Again, these questions refer to the G&G version of the gun, not the STAR, and I'm most interested in first-hand info.

-Chris

1)  Is the cycling bolt actually realistic...I have no experience with the real L85 series, so I don't know if the real thing has a reciprocating bolt handle. 

The bolt handle is on the bolt - so yes, it does reciprocate on the RS L85.

Archived