G&G L85 reveiw

Tank

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as said in about 15 different threads about the so called 'pitfalls' of the L85 and SA80 series, the British Armed Forces are all trained to fire right handed, regardless of their prodominant hand, so it isnt an issue what hand you want to fire with, all of the British troops fore right handed, so no problems with the bolt hitting your face or hot shells burning your face etc.

Let's think about this lads, G&G £295 for the first 50.  That's not a bad price.

However after that they are probably going to be up  ~£340

Now that is only ~£60 lower than a Star, but with the Star you get the latest A2 and a £70 hardcase.

Doesn't look so well priced now.

What makes you think the price is going up?

And its only £204.60 + shipping from WGC, which inc. shipping + VAT would probably be no more than £280, so thats actually £120 cheaper than the STAR L85 and it comes as standard with a blowback kit. It doesn't need to be downgraded to be legal in the UK and its blowback can be quickly switched on and off. Initial reports seem to suggest its on par with the STAR in every department except obviously the out the box FPS's are slightly different. Most are saying STAR is at 400 whilst G&G is at 360.

1)  Is the cycling bolt actually realistic...I have no experience with the real L85 series, so I don't know if the real thing has a reciprocating bolt handle. 

Yes, the L85 bolt cycles pretty much like that. Although soldiers rarely ever use it on fully automatic except in FIBUA (Fighting in built up areas).

2)  I'd like a definitive answer from someone with first-hand experience on whether the G&G gun will take standard gears/piston/cylinder, and if so what version.

If you check the earlier review it has a new cyclinder head (similar to V6 i think) which has been ported, and a V3 spring guide. Its gears arent standard though. I'm sure G&G will be quick to bring out replacements though.

3)  Is the dovetail on the upper receiver a NATO standard (STANAG) rail, which is different from the Pickatinny style, but for which adapters can be found, or is it it's own, unique pattern. 

Its a 19.9mm NATO rail. NOT a weaver pictinny rail. There are no gaps in the rail, its one solid length of metal. the STAR L85 has a 19mm rail. I'm unsure until I see one what the implications of G&Gs rail is. Likely it will either take most scopes, or if not it will be replacable by a rail that will.

4)  How is the dovetail connected to the upper receiver (especially important if the dovetail is of a unique pattern).

Screws *I think* from the pictures.

First off, thanks to Prolific for the information. I'll have to check on the dimentions of the STANAG rails...as I recall they were different from the Pickatinny type. I'm pretty sure I've seen a STANAG to Pickatinny adaptor somewhere. As for the bolt handle cycling, while it's nice, it's ultimately a non-essential. Especially if the connector remains prone to breakage that in turn puts the weapon out of action.

I agree, there's a whole lot more stock between the M14's operating handle and the shooter's face than the L85's. On the later M16s and their derivatives the problem of spent cases was solved by adding a wedge-shaped protruberance to the receiver behind the ejection port. This deflects the spent cases forward and away from the shooter. It's also quite convenient for anyone standing next to the shooter, since having a just-fired case drop down your collar tends to be somewhat distracting to say the least.

I'm reluctant to discount shooting off the left side entirely. When a right-handed shooter engages a target around the left side of cover, he exposes a good deal more of himself than he would if he transitioned to the left side. It takes training, but transitioning to the off-side - at least as far as where the butt of the rifle goes - is a valid technique for MOUT/FIBUA engagements. I'm not very good at it, to the point where the payoff in concealment is offset by the reduction in accuracy that I experience, but I don't practise it very often.

However, that's off the topic for this thread...

-Chris

As I said in another thread, I doubt a british soldier has ever died because he leant to far around a corner due to his rifle being right handed only. If you suspect there is someone around a corner...don't go around it.

left handed firing even for FIBUA (MOUT in the US) is over-rated anyway. I seriously doubt anyone can fire trully ambidexterously with accuracy. The British army agrees and so every soldier, regardless of their natural left or right handedness, is taught to fire right handed on all weapons.

If you jump around a corner you will have the element of suprise, enough at least to duck back around if the coast isn't clear. The only time you will get hit is if someone is waiting delibartely trained on that corner, and if they are I suspect you'll get shot regardless of how much of your body you exposed.

British army FIBUA isn't a softly softly approach, its a fast momentum intense method which is designed deliberately to confuse the defenders into fear and accidental blue on blue casualties. The US seems to favour the stealthy conservative approach. Both seem to work just as well, just different methods I suppose.

To all those who are worried about the blowback feature - due to the incredibly easy takedown and split gearbox - it'll take you less time to open her up, take out the hook to disable the blow back and put her back together than it'd take you to just GET to the gearbox on a STAR L85.

Well I reckon everyone is just a little too picky about this gun. Yes, it could be better. The custom battery sucks, as does the price and the unreliable blowback and gearbox. Still, I think the blowback feature is pretty cool, and you can always disable it if you don't want to risk it breaking.

As for the other stuff, if you are that bothered about little details (for milsim etc), I'm sure you can work them out with some custom painting/sanding/cutting.

That said, I still reckon a STAR is better value purely because of the better all-round quality and reputation that they put out. What we REALLY need is for Classic Army to make a nice little £220 L85A2 that comes with a susat, runs at 325fps like their M15 series, and uses regular standard battery packs.

does anyone know where i can get a cheap SUSAT? how do u think an ACOG would work? hehe americanize the britt gun 

Don't you dare ;)

I hear on ASCUK that a few people have recieved theres now and many more will tomorrow from AW in the UK. Does anyone who also owns a STAR L85 have one who can make a direct side by side style comparison? Lets find out once and for all whether the predictions of 'STAR is still better' are true.

The STAR owners say it must be true because of STARs reputation, the G&G fans saying that STAR owners are just telling themselves that because they were ripped off with a hugely more expensive gun ££ when buying their L85 only to get the same as G&G if not worse.

Well I reckon everyone is just a little too picky about this gun. Yes, it could be better. The custom battery sucks, as does the price and the unreliable blowback and gearbox. Still, I think the blowback feature is pretty cool, and you can always disable it if you don't want to risk it breaking.

As for the other stuff, if you are that bothered about little details (for milsim etc), I'm sure you can work them out with some custom painting/sanding/cutting.

That said, I still reckon a STAR is better value purely because of the better all-round quality and reputation that they put out. What we REALLY need is for Classic Army to make a nice little £220 L85A2 that comes with a susat, runs at 325fps like their M15 series, and uses regular standard battery packs.

Don't you dare ;)

Custom battery sucks? What? How do you know?

Price? MUCH lower than a STAR.

Ureliable Gearbox? As they only came out a week ago - don't you think it's a little early to say things are unreliable - especially since no-one's complaned of a faiure yet?

STAR? All round quality? *fruitcage* off. One of my friends got a STAR L85 - the inner barrel and hop-up had BRASS SHAVINGS IN IT and the motor died after 4 hicaps.

Um...it's cosmetic at best. Yes, the real L85's bolt handle slaps back and forth when fired, but then the real M4 pops the ejection port cover open when it's fired, and few if any airsoft M4s do that. The G&G and Marui M14s don't cycle the bolt either, nor do the TOP and CA M249s or the TOP M60. Nor do any of the airsoft AK47s, AK101s or AK-74s. Dinging the G&G L85A1 not having a dead-reliable blowback when virtually no other airsoft rifles even have the feature to begin with (even if their real-steel counterparts do) is, for lack of a better term, silly.

Look at the part that breaks, maybe you can find someone who can make you one out of heat-treated steel or something. Or lacking high-tensile strength steel or aluminum, use the plain vanilla stuff and have said buddy whip up a couple dozen of them. Or possibly there's room to slip a length of electrical tape over the opening of the gearbox so that when it breaks you don't end up with a ten-pound paperweight. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome. Deal :)

-Chris

Um...it's cosmetic at best.  Yes, the real L85's bolt handle slaps back and forth when fired, but then the real M4 pops the ejection port cover open when it's fired, and few if any airsoft M4s do that.    The G&G and Marui M14s don't cycle the bolt either, nor do the TOP and CA M249s or the TOP M60.  Nor do any of the airsoft AK47s, AK101s or AK-74s.  Dinging the G&G L85A1 not having a dead-reliable blowback when virtually no other airsoft rifles even have the feature to begin with (even if their real-steel counterparts do) is, for lack of a better term, silly.

Look at the part that breaks, maybe you can find someone who can make you one out of heat-treated steel or something.  Or lacking high-tensile strength steel or aluminum, use the plain vanilla stuff and have said buddy whip up a couple dozen of them.  Or possibly there's room to slip a length of electrical tape over the opening of the gearbox so that when it breaks you don't end up with a ten-pound paperweight.  Improvise.  Adapt.  Overcome.  Deal :)

-Chris

As soon as I figure out how to I shall give you a rep point for that statement. Most sensible post made so far on the subject.

Incidentally, the ejector cover on the ICS M4 flips open when you start shooting. :-P

Incidentally, the ejector cover on the ICS M4 flips open when you start shooting

And it's a pain in the *albatross*... :P Nah it's very realistic, but i'm still going to (one day!) fit a magnet to mine to hold it back a la Classic army style.

i just don't get the complaining about the blowback on the G&G. AEG blowback is never really going to be more than an EBB on acid anyway, so i'd want that part disabled as to prevent damage in the long run. As long as it locks back to get at the hop and springs forwards afterwords, that'll do me.

I'm looking into these, but i'm worried like other people that the blowback is gonna ###### out on me after a couple of hundred rounds...but I wouldn't want to disable it as the blowback sounds like such a great feature.

sorry but thats a bit like having a car but not wanting to run the risk of a flat tyre.

When will airosfters learn:

Its a complex mechanical device with a violent action with or without blowback. Its only a matter of time before it breaks. Thats why the parts are all replacable.

to be honest i can only see the blowback breaking (at the designed weak point) if your daft enough to prevent the bolt from travelling during it's cycle !

The hook is designed to break off if the bolt is obstructed so as to prevent damage to the internals.

As long as you use some common sense and treat it as you would a real fire arm (as you should) the bolt hook should have no reason to break off

I'm going to hold off until I see how much support G&G gives the gun, but it's definitely a front-runner. My other option for a full-power gun is the CA36, probably the carbine version. Both place the battery in the handgrip, but the L85 is shorter overall, placing that weight (and the weight of the inevitable UGL) less far forward. The L85 uses magazines in common with my existing gun, which avoids the embarrasment of arriving at the game only to find that I have a full load of M16 mags for my G36 (I am fully capable of doing that...). Finally, the gearbox is more easily removable than that of conventional airsoft guns, which - if G&G offers spare gearboxes - might allow the rifle to be adapted for CQB (300fps limit) and open-field ops (400fps) without major surgery.

My take: This gun has some serious potential (as does the real one, IMO).

-Chris

Archived