G&G L85 reveiw

Tank

It makes me laugh to read that people have already started arguing about if the G&G L85 is better or worse than the ICS one. Yes, I said ICS. The one that is only a CAD drawing so far!

As I think I've said, the Star L85 just didn't do it for me. It looked nice and was certainly heavy but there was nothing that really made it stand out. Under the shell it could hve been an AUG or FAMAS or whatever.

The design of the G&G gun is enough to sell it to me. It's designed with a purpose. It's not just a bunch of AEGs bits bodged into an L85 shaped shell.

Anyway, I also love some of the other "observations" I've read.

Apparently, it's good that the Star L85 is supposed to shoot at 400fps and is then downgraded to 328 whereas it's bad that the G&G L85 is designed to shoot at 400fps cos they could have spent their time adjusting more important things. :D

I also read that the G&G blowback doodah breaks. "Ahh, but that was just a prototype!" the fans cry. When was the last time you saw a prototype airsoft gun which was massively different to the production models?

I bet G&Gs "fix" for this problem is the act of giving away a 2nd linkage with the gun.

What about SUSATs?

Have you read people saying that the G&G gun doesn't use a 20mm rail and that, instead, it uses a NATO style 19mm one?

Utter nonsense.

The G&G gun uses a 20mm rail (even if it's only 19mm wide). The dovetail rail on an L85 is about 14mm across if I recall correctly.

In short, I doubt anybody in the country has used one of these for more than a days skirmishing and they probably haven't even flattened a battery or put an entire bag of BBs through one yet.

Can we try to focus on facts, post pictures and keep a lid on the nonsense and speculation?

Also, to finish up, I dunno why so many people resort to blind prejudice over airsoft guns.

How many times have you read people saying "Man, get a CA M15 cos it rocks hard."?

How many of these people have owned TM, ICS or G&P guns for comparison?

How many people have fitted M140 springs into ICS M4s (cos it's so easy to do) and then accused them of being unreliable when the cheap and nasty plastic bushes let go 1000 shots later?

Don't people realise that, deliberately or not, when you say "Get a Star L85 cos the G&G one sucks" you're actually insulting the intelligence of everybody who owns the G&G one?

I've got nothing against discussing the merits of various guns but, guys, why not do it by posting facts and figures (along with pictures) which compare items from different manufacturers rather than just ignorantly slagging a particular manufacturer off?

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good on ya. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about though. :)

My G&G L85 is still on it's way to me and I can't wait to get stuck into it. First thing I'm going to do if welly about 5000 shots through it, just to see what breaks, if anything.

In the past I've noticed G&Gs problems aren't usually fundamental design flaws. They're usually the result of poor QC or low quality materials. If something's going to wear out I want to know about it within a week of buying it!

the only problem i encountered is that it gets stuck on semi sometimes but then i have had almost all aegs do that to me (including TM) in fact the MP5 and M4 used to be terrible for it.

as i said before as long as you respect the fact that the bolt has to travel its distance i cannot foresee any problems occuring with it

I played with both a STAR and G&G L85 yesterday.

The STAR is in trouble. The GB sounded much louder and higher pitched, the selector was wobbly and the plastic felt s**t. The cocking handle made me laugh and from what I've heard of the takedown from the shopkeeper - it's a massive *badgeress* just to GET to the gearbox.

The G&G was slightly lighter - but only just. The Gas parts are there and movable, which is nice. The plastic is MILES nicer. The Blowback is joy inducing - and the bolt handle can be locked back and the bolt release works too. The controls were very sturdy and the takedown was shown to me - less than 30 seconds to get the GB out. The GB looks nice and tidy and the GB sounded nice in the gun. The blowback is apparently easy enough to disable - and the spring release is also a nice feature. It's also about half the price of the STAR. PWNT.

I really am considering selling all my guns and getting one for myself - but It'd have to wait as they're mostly sold out all over.

good point Darklite ! something we spotted when comparing the two was the mushy selector on the Star compared to the G+G as my mate says the sling has moved the selector on his several times where as you have zero chance of doing that on the G+G.

Darklite- did you notice the realistic trigger break ?

The G&G has pretty much everything i'm after from what i've read above. If the 20mm rail is swappable for a real one, then i can fit my original iron sights, then i'll be happy. Its silly i know, but i've kept on to them for this reason.

You could always shave off 0.5mm from each side of the rail so it becomes 19mm, or replace the rail with the Army Code L85 19mm dovetail from WGC ;)

Depends how the original is attached. If it's machined on or something similar, i'd rather just leave it as is.

If G&G hasn't released their SUSAT by the time I need to attach one to my G&G L85, I'll be getting the burning gear out or whatever it takes. :angry:

Darklite- did you notice the realistic trigger break ?

That confused me for a minute - I first thought the trigger was broken the first time I touched it - but yes, it actually has a muzzle break. F**king ace for pulling off quick shots in semi.

Now the good info starts coming out...and it looks like I may have to set aside some money for the G&G L85 sooner than I'd thought.

The only changes I'd contemplate on the gun are either using the STAR adaptor that fits over the dovetail and converts it to a Pickatinny rail (assuming the dovetails on the two guns are the same dimentions) or replacing the dovetail entirely. The SUSAT is nice, but it doesn't interface well with a night-vision device, and I happen to have access to an AN/PVS-14 monocular. If I can do that, I'll post a pic of an L85 with an Aimpoint red-dot scopeand an AN/PVS-14 clipped behind it...sudden death during night ops, I would guess.

The muzzle break looks to be a standard A2 birdcage type, which will combine nicely with the Gemtech suppressor replica MadBull is coming out with.

G&G do offer a replacement gearbox for their UMG, so it's likely there'll be one available for the L85 as well. This may end up being my gun for all occasions. I read an earlier post that stated that a L85A2 parts kit was planned, so that's OK (not that most Arizona players could tell an L85A2 from an 'A1 if it jumped up and bit them on the gluteus maximus, but what the heck...)

Now...if only G&G makes a UGL for this gun...or the STAR version is compatible (not holding my breath on that one).

-Chris

As was mentioned earlier in this discussion, the British Army trains all their soldiers to fire off the right side, regardless of what their natural dominant side is.

So, if you're left-handed you have two options:

1) Learn to shoot the L85 (or any other bullpup for that matter, unless it's convertible) off your right shoulder, or...

2) Get a weapon that places the bolt and ejection port farther forward, where it doesn't sit against your cheek when firing (read: Buy an M4, G36, SIG 552, AK, whatever).

Theoretically, you could disable the blowback and remove the charging handle, then shoot the L85 off your left shoulder. However, that would alter the gun significantly from what is possible IRL, placing it firmly alongside the M4s with the FAL Para type folding stocks, P90s with M16 mags, and other fantasy weapons.

Yes, I'm somewhat of a purist. At least as far as the weapons go...I am, after all, contemplating getting an L85 and using it while wearing desert tigerstripe or digital MARPAT. Deal :)

-Chris

Archived