G&G L85 reveiw

Tank

It's a bit worrying what you say about the bolt catching on the hop up. Mine doesn't have any problems with that sort of stuff at all so it seems like there ARE definate QC issues with the gun.

I guess it's reasonable to expect a $400 item to work flawlessly out of the box but I honestly always expected to have to iron out a few problems with mine.

If you want a perfect gun, out of the box, then I guess you'd be better off with a TM armalite. If you want something more exotic then you need to decide if it warrants a bit of extra effort.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I've just spoken to AW about a full refund and have been told that if I want one it'll be subject to a 20% restocking charge. So if I want to send it and the dodgy battery they sent me back its going to cost me £67! As I just told the bloke I spoke to, that takes the p*ss.

Well I've just spoken to AW about a full refund and have been told that if I want one it'll be subject to a 20% restocking charge. So if I want to send it and the dodgy battery they sent me back its going to cost me £67! As I just told the bloke I spoke to, that takes the p*ss.

If its broken then its covered under the standard 1 year garuntee that all goods have in the UK unless stated otherwise at the point of sale. If they sold you faulty goods then its their responsibility to reclaim the cost. Also you can send a gun anywhere in the UK via parcel force as long as its under 10Kg for no more £15.25, so I don't see how they can charge more than £30.50 for collection and re-delivery of the gun with the fixed parts.

Edit: Also, AW have a bit of a reputation for being very unhelpful if you phone them up and try to 'tell them how it is' or try to tell them their job. Being polite and honest with them seems to yeild good results, I've heard largely very positive things. I know of someone who without naming names has sent a gun back a good 3 times now with no additional charge. Perhaps try phoning them again with more humility? worth a try.

If its broken then its covered under the standard 1 year garuntee that all goods have in the UK unless stated otherwise at the point of sale. If they sold you faulty goods then its their responsibility to reclaim the cost. Also you can send a gun anywhere in the UK via parcel force as long as its under 10Kg for no more £15.25, so I don't see how they can charge more than £30.50 for collection and re-delivery of the gun with the fixed parts.

Edit: Also, AW have a bit of a reputation for being very unhelpful if you phone them up and try to 'tell them how it is' or try to tell them their job. Being polite and honest with them seems to yeild good results, I've heard largely very positive things. I know of someone who without naming names has sent a gun back a good 3 times now with no additional charge. Perhaps try phoning them again with more humility? worth a try.

They're not saying they'll charge me to repair it, they're telling me that if I want a full refund they'll deduct 20% off the total cost of the order. As it happens they told me to send it back to them and that they'd repair it for free. I can't fault them on that at all, but I do have issue with the fact that they would not respect my statutory rights regarding the refund.

And where do you get off assuming I was impolite on the phone? Since you actually have no idea how the conversation went, or do not have any experience of my phone manner please keep your opinions to yourself in future.

Angry - I'd say that you're just unlucky - the bolt jamming on the hop-up sounds a bit off - QC issues most likely - and that might have had something to do with the break.

But seriously - the blowback is one of the better designed ones around - the AK versions shred themselves rediculously quickly.

Nice to see informed opinion alive and well at Arnies.

FYI, the G&G gearbox is VERY well designed with several unique touches such as the neat spring decompressor, the bolt catch and the clip to secure the inner barrel and hop up.

Don't forget that they've also given it a modular gearbox so you can change the spring without getting gears and shims everywhere.

The blowback mechanism is a gimmick and is doomed to failure on pretty much every AEG. SPend $300 on a TM AK and another $50 on the Guarder blowback kit then watch it shred itself within a few hundred shots.

Think back to 5 years ago when every product that CA made was utter junk. Now there are some people who swear the sun shines out of CA's *albatross*.

IMO, the L85 looks like it might be a turning point for G&G too.

Beyond that, either buy one or shut up about it. ;)

You say I'm not informed, but then you go on to defend the gearbox, which I never specifically criticized. The blowback mechanism is proof positive that G&G is still up to its old bad business habits of releasing untested guns. The statement on their site claims that they have to rush the products to market. It's a tacit admission that not only do they not care about getting it right, but that they don't plan to change. After the GR16 fiasco they at least lied to us about testing more in the future. Now they just admit to releasing junk and we're supposed to think they're changing? It's like having a junkie tell you he has no intention of giving up smack and believing he's just turned a corner toward recovery.

The GR16 was junk. The UMP was junk. The M14 was junk. The SOC 16 was junk. G&G's response? They send parts to retailers with the expectation that the retailers will pay for the repairs out of pocket or that they will ask the customers to foot the bill. Either way, it's poor.

National Airsoft Magazine has weighed in on the G&G guns. Having met several of the staffers, I can say with certainty that these guys have a wealth of experience in their area. They know their stuff. Here's what they had to say:

On the G&G R4: "...notoriously inaccurate, which was determined after I fired a burst at an opponent and watched each BB fly in a different direction other than where the iron sights were aimed...at a measly 12ft."

On the G&G R5: "...it was the only R5 in the shipment that hadn't yet malfunctioned in some form or another."

On the G&G M14: "Substandard FPS, severe inaccuracy and shotty internals really plagued this gun's tolerance."

On the G&G UMG: "...as usual, there was a major glitch in the gun, the tappet plate."

On the G&G SOC 16: "It took a fat dump after firing only 3 hi-caps using short bursts."

On G&G: "...it really makes one wonder whether or not the shotty internals are intentional, a means to up the demand for their new line of completely upgraded mechboxes with more durable internals."

"Every single one of G&G's releases has had at least one major flaw."

"In the short amount of time that G&G has been in the AEG business, they've managed to screw over both the retailers who sell their products and the consumers who buy them."

Look, I've even been excited about their releases too. I was stiff for the GR16 when it was first announced. Sure, it cost as much as the CA and TM equivalents combined, but it looked great and for the money promised to be good. The one I tested couldn't get a shot off above 120 FPS. I was equally excited about the M14 and bought into the line about improved testing. When I went into test one, the store didn't have a working one in stock and the person behind the counter told me to hold out for the TM, since he hadn't seen a good one delivered from G&G yet.

Am I uninformed? Not so much as to still trust G&G.

It's kind of funny...All the G&G haters around...Now I know how CA fans feel.

The GR16 was junk.  The UMP was junk.  The M14 was junk.  The SOC 16 was junk.  G&G's response?  They send parts to retailers with the expectation that the retailers will pay for the repairs out of pocket or that they will ask the customers to foot the bill.  Either way, it's poor.

And what did CA do for all those years they were pumping out junk? Oh yeah!

NOTHING!!!!

It's kind of funny...All the G&G haters around...Now I know how CA fans feel.

And what did CA do for all those years they were pumping out junk?    Oh yeah! 

NOTHING!!!!

On the contrary, CA has improved. I owned one of the first CA33Es shipped to the US. It sucked. CA worked on it's quality control and has gotten better. Good enough for me to buy? No. I've become too old, well-paid, and fussy to buy less than custom guns reworked by professionals, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend CA to people just starting out in the hobby. The same does not apply to G&G who have expressed no desire to deliver quality products to the market.

There's nothing wrong with having standards.

On the contrary, CA has improved.  I owned one of the first CA33Es shipped to the US.  It sucked.  CA worked on it's quality control and has gotten better.  Good enough for me to buy?  No.  I've become too old, well-paid, and fussy to buy less than custom guns reworked by professionals, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend CA to people just starting out in the hobby.  The same does not apply to G&G who have expressed no desire to deliver quality products to the market.

Rubbish.. the differences between my Rk103 and the early Rk104's are numerous.. they improved it a lot.. so if you want a decent G&G you might want to wait a generation :)

I sort of agree with Monks POV but there comes a time when you have to admit that things ARE changing for the better.

As I think I said, about 3 years ago I bought a CA M15 and when I said "Hey, this is actually not too bad!" everybody jumped down my throat and told me I obviously didn't have a clue.

I think G&G overstretched themselves with the blowback gizmo. They seem to have wanted to cram every doohicky they could think of into the L85 and the blowback mechanism was a doohicky too far.

It's a shame to write off the entire gun because of one tiny flaw in a part which can be removed in literally 30 seconds.

I've never owned any other G&G product although I know 2 airsoft retailers who have lost a fortune because of them so I'm well aware of their normal state.

All I'm saying is that I think the L85 is a big step in the right direction.

I sort of agree with Monks POV but there comes a time when you have to admit that things ARE changing for the better.

As I think I said, about 3 years ago I bought a CA M15 and when I said "Hey, this is actually not too bad!" everybody jumped down my throat and told me I obviously didn't have a clue.

I think G&G overstretched themselves with the blowback gizmo. They seem to have wanted to cram every doohicky they could think of into the L85 and the blowback mechanism was a doohicky too far.

It's a shame to write off the entire gun because of one tiny flaw in a part which can be removed in literally 30 seconds.

I've never owned any other G&G product although I know 2 airsoft retailers who have lost a fortune because of them so I'm well aware of their normal state.

All I'm saying is that I think the L85 is a big step in the right direction.

I'd love to test one with the blowback mechanism removed. If that's the only flaw, then in all seriousness, I would consider having one down at my local pro's shop getting fitted with new RS parts.

Angry: I don't know about consumer rights in the UK, but at least in Finland the retailers have some rights too. If you buy a faulty product, the retailer is required to fix it in a reasonable time free of charge. If this isn't possible, they will have to get you a new one. If this fails, you can negotiate about a suitable similar product. Getting your money back isn't the first thing you do when products fail.

Monk: I have no personal experience with previous G&G models, but the L85A1 is in all honesty quite a good AEG once you get rid of the blowback. I have thoroughly inspected one and fired a few hundred shots with it, but I don't have any money of my own invested in it. I'm not defending it for the sake of justifying the expense of 390 dollars of hard-earned money.

-Sale

On the contrary, CA has improved.  I owned one of the first CA33Es shipped to the US.  It sucked.  CA worked on it's quality control and has gotten better.  Good enough for me to buy?  No.  I've become too old, well-paid, and fussy to buy less than custom guns reworked by professionals, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend CA to people just starting out in the hobby.  The same does not apply to G&G who have expressed no desire to deliver quality products to the market. 

Sure CA has improved, but not until quite recently. (I still wouldn't buy a CA either BTW.)

And they certainly weren't sending people parts for free all those years.

If G&G had "no desire to deliver quality products to the market" they why would they go to the trouble of fixing the problems they have had, and sending out part F.O.C.? They even when so far as to issue a world wide recall on their M16 series gearboxes because they were not 100% compatible with Marui (and Marui compatible) parts which is something other manufactures (who've been at it MUCH longer) haven't yet achieved.

G&G has only been producing their own line of AEGs for 3 years, I think they are doing a pretty good job considering.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with having standards. And I too am old & fussy but I'm also a professional airsmith. IMO, the issues G&G has had are minor & easily fixed, and the overall quality of materials & construction of G&G's guns is superior to most other company's. Again, that's just my opinion and we all know the old saying about those...

^^ QFT, I agree with everything you said.

The G&G l85 is a fine AEG, once the blowback has been disabled. Realistic blowback in a AEG is a nice thing to have, and a nice idea, but in the long term of things its utterly pointless to have, and a gimmick at best.

Sure, the blowback is a nice touch and makes the shooting experience better, but its just not practical IMHO. That aside, the G&G L85 is a fantastic design, I mean only having to remove a few assembly pins to disable the blowback, and change the spring? I think they knew the blowback would eventually fail, hence the ease of being able to disable it

I guess I should also post a little update of the status of the test L85 my review was done on...

I received the replacement gear set and blowback hook.

I installed the new gear set, but did not install the new blowback hook. (I don't want to risk a repeat of the hook's failure.)

The gun is shooting beautifully, I couldn't ask for better performance out of it. I fielded it last weekend & had no trouble. No accidental mag drops, no misfires, nothing.

One thing I did discover...It doesn't like my CA VN hi-cap mag, but I think that's due more to the mag being old & beat to hell than anything.

All the other mags I tried (G&G hi-cap, TM hi & low caps) worked perfectly.

Angry: I don't know about consumer rights in the UK, but at least in Finland the retailers have some rights too. If you buy a faulty product, the retailer is required to fix it in a reasonable time free of charge. If this isn't possible, they will have to get you a new one. If this fails, you can negotiate about a suitable similar product. Getting your money back isn't the first thing you do when products fail.

Well as it is I've decided that I want an L85 enough to get it repaired. Whilst its there I'll also ask them to sort the hop/slide fault its got.

No flames please, I searched this but due to everyone calling the thing UGLy I couldn't find out if anyone has tried to fit a STAR UGL to the G+G L85A1

Will it fit?

Will it even go anywhere near fitting?

Could it be bodged?

Does anyone know?

Thanks fellas

Stunt

Well, I bought a CA Steyr AUG; before it got 5 stars in AI magazine and here's an account of what happened. I think this will give an idea about new CA standards and also how highly I rate Airsoftwarehouse (AW).

Bought gun, £220.

Gun arrives, trigger jams after 300rds. Call up AW, they say send it back, and a replacement will be sent out. I pay postage sending gun to them, they don't charge me for the new one.

Recieve new gun 4 days later (over weekend), trigger jams after 2,000rds. Call AW, they tell me to give trigger a hard tug. Job done.

Skirmish Steyr, and chrono' it - 205-220fps. Hmm. Could be the chrono'...

Skirmish Steyr again at different site with a brand new chrono' - 200-230fps. Bugg*r.

Email AW, they say this isn't right, post it back. I do. Paying again.

AW send back a fixed (free of charge) Steyr, again paying P&P and also chucking in a bottle of Q Bullets. However, postal company have bent outer barrel. AW say send barrel back. I do, they replace it, again, free of charge.

CA Steyr AUG is now a fully paid up member of the BB Hose brigade, firing perfectly, accurately and being overall superb.

I rate the gun now, I rate AW, and I recommend both.

Archived