40mm waste pipe - would it work?

Pablo

I've had an idea for a grenade launcher project using a 40mm gas grenade. The idea came to me when I was doing a spot of plumming, and I realised that the white plastic waste pipe I was using was 40mm. I was wondering if anyone had tried using this to make a grenade launcher, and how succesful it had been.

If no-one else has, I'll let you know how I get on.

My idea is to make a grenade pistol based on a Magnum revolver frame (which I already have).

Thanks in advance!

SNAP!

just replaced the bathroom and i've got a section of 40mm myself. afaik they don't make the gas grenades to 40mm though, incase someone tries to modify the launcher to fire real ones i think.

i know madbull do anyways but not sure about others.

pete

I've just popped into Airsoft Armoury in Cannock and measured the Madbull ones (they even lent me a set of electronic calipers!). The width of the widest part was 41mm, the rest was 39mm. The rim at the rear (no sniggers) was 45mm. Hmmm. I'm gonna cut a length of tube tonight and take it in for comparison. Working next door to an airsoft store can be pretty convenient sometimes. :D

Unless things are different across the water...pipe sizes are decieving. Here in the US, 2" pipe is less than 2" ID, more than 2" OD. This is true for pretty much any pipe type out there.

I'd guess 40mm pipe isn't 40mm ta all...but things might be different in your neck of the woods.

in england 40mm pipe is 40mm internal and a bit over external.

fun getting your bathroom plumbed in with 40mm and 32mm waste pipes black alkathene 22mm to copper 15mm and copper for the hot going from 15-22 and back to 15 again for some unknown reason....

though about doing a LAW but i'd need drainpipe at least as you can't get domestic 66mm piping.

meh.

pete

That's the easy bit. A small stud driven into the valve on the back of the shell fires it. The hammer mechanism on my Magnum works, but the hammer is broken (damn pot metal rubbish). It should be pretty easy to rig something to do that though.

That's the easy bit. A small stud driven into the valve on the back of the shell fires it. The hammer mechanism on my Magnum works, but the hammer is broken (damn pot metal rubbish). It should be pretty easy to rig something to do that though.

Ah, i see, you've interested me alot in this now, i think my dad has 10 ft of 40mm pipe out in the garage, i can see not just one being made, what magnum do you have ? a cheap spring one? what would work, a cheap springer ?

you could just use a lever too... after all its possible (and easy) to fire a moskart with your finger...

too easy to set off if you ask me. I nearly took some guys head off with a moscart once :whistling: serves him right for having it near the bad end of my m203 tho.

you could build a simple block imagine an L shape the top is the rail connector the back part is the block with the firing mechanism. the barrel slides along the long part of the L.

if i haven't lost you here good.

now the block at the back can have a push button effectively a nail or tube with a spring holding it back. you press it which pushes the trigger on the moscart.

i.e. copy what badbull did.

pete

Right, here's an extremely lame picture created in Paint just to give you an idea of what I'm thinking of doing:

Launcherproject2.jpg

The Magnum I have is an old blank firer with a missing hammer (which is a shame, 'cos the hammer would have been handy). It may be possible to arrange something using the trigger mechanism, but if not I can always have a push button mechanism where the hammer would be. Obviously I'll need to figure out how to load/unload it, probably with either a hinge or a sliding barrel.

Thou hast inspired the evil inside. :devil: I think I'm going to rig myself up a reloadable rocket with some of those new CA 18 rounders. How hard would it be to rig up a trigger mech so that I could fire it without using up a gas pistol. This one project I think I'll put my mind to. ;)

I made this exact same thing about four months back. It works and everything but you'll need a strong hammer spring to fire the shell, this has limited mine to single-action only. I find it much easier to connect the trigger directly to the firing pin/bolt (mechanically, not literally.)

The biggest challenge I came across when making this was designing a simple way to lock the barrel into place while allowing it to hinge open for reloading.

Archived