Support central.

svenbodybuilder

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

This is almost a technical question, but I figured this was a suitable place to ask. I have been thinking about chopping my MkII down to have a para length front but I am curious of what are the drawbacks of having a shorter inner barrel in regards to a Support weapon? I mainly like the looks but Im afraid the perfomance will decline if I use a shorter inner barrel, any imput would be great, thanks all.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't chop your barrel. Buy another inner barrel and a different flashider. Since changing inner barrels takes all of 10 minutes no need to chop your existing MkII.

Word of warning - if you run a para length inner with your current MkII's full-length cylinder, you WILL crack your piston head.

I speak from experience.

If you're going to run the para length barrel buy a ported cylinder. Because otherwise you'll be buying a piston head and cylinder head anyway if you don't.

Many thanks Hillslam and Crispin

chopping my barrel was a figure of speech and I plan to pick up a tightbore of proper length and a para flash hider that fits the STAR M249 (since STAR made their para flash hider the opposite threading than every other M249). I also have a ported cylinder waiting to be installed once I get the new barrel and FH

Don't chop your barrel. Buy another inner barrel and a different flashider. Since changing inner barrels takes all of 10 minutes no need to chop your existing MkII.

Word of warning - if you run a para length inner with your current MkII's full-length cylinder, you WILL crack your piston head.

I speak from experience.

If you're going to run the para length barrel buy a ported cylinder. Because otherwise you'll be buying a piston head and cylinder head anyway if you don't.

sorry i think i may not have been clear what i was asking...

do you think the benifits of having the fullsize MkII(longer inner barrel) outweighs the negitives (bulkier stock, less manuverability/mobility?) I have seen alot of people saying that the accuracy gained by having the extended inner barrel is maginal at best.

So, I got to use an Ino M60E4 at around 400fps today. The owner, Thumper (a teammate of bigdaddywood's if I'm not mistaken), graciously allowed me to "have a go" with his baby.

D@MN!!!

Here are the downsides:

1. Short pistol grip - I have big hands, but an M4 grip fits me just fine. My pinky was hanging off the grip. Not terribly uncomfortable, just not ideal.

2. Somewhat heavy - 20lbs sounds like a lot more than it is. With the padded SAW sling I was using, the gun was more than manageable. The ridiculous firepower more than makes up for the weight.

3. Bipod leg snapped off - I'm assuming the legs had been snapped off before, since there were weld marks at the top of legs/base of mount previous to the break. Regardless, the left bipod leg snapped off before I could even put the gun's full weight on the ground. Disappointing... I think. Depends on the bipod's history, I guess.

The pros... oh dear, I could go on for awhile.

1. Range/hopup/trajectory - Impressive doesn't cover it. At 120ft, there is a 1ft beaten zone. 200ft engagements are more than feasible.

2. Box mag - Flawless feeding, with everything from 2-3rd bursts to a long 50rd string. When I was on the receiving end, I witnessed a 30 second "belt burn" without a single hiccup. Incredibly impressive.

3. Balance - For a support weapon, I can't complain. Comparable to the Ino RPK I fondled earlier.

I need to sleep tonight, so I'll stop there. I'll put up some SF/PMC piccys of me and the pig later. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im looking for actual pics of SAW gunners using a CIRAS vest. Ive also posted this request in the gear forum, but thinking my Support Gunner brothers could help me much faster.

In the meantime I present to you my new set-up

Image045.jpg

Image043.jpg

Image041.jpg

With an Elcan

Image049.jpg

Image047.jpg

Image046.jpg

Just replaced the bipod with the Dboys SPR one

Anybody know where I can buy the GB-Tech metal E4 style Gas tube for a Top M60? The stock plastic one on my star got chewed up pretty bad from setting it on the top of bunkers and swivelling on it like a bipod(I didn't have mine down for one reason or another and didn't have time to put it down before I shot)

• 2 months later...

Archived