Military Tactics

Kousnik

Hello there, I thought i'd make my mark in this new section by making a tactics thread, basically, people can share what military operations tactics they know.

In reality, i would suggest you join your local cadets or TA/Nation Guard or your nations equivalent or even the Army, but thats not for some people. Planning and carrying out a sucessful operation is very difficult and you will learn vast amounts of valuable information in these organisations.

Tomorrow I will post some basic (well, relatively) field orders, such as section battle drills, harbour positions and their use, field signals and like information. Most of my info will be on the British Army because thats who I train with, obviously all nations are different so the wider a knowledge base we have the better.

I'm sure how long this will last, depends on how many people contribute but I will post again tomorrow but if anyone wants to start the ball rolling before then, be my guest.

Example, a workable squad org:

rifleman

Squad commander

rifleman

support

rifleman

squad second in command

rifleman

support

in two fire teams,

allows one team to supress the enemy, and the second to flank and take out the position, simple, effective, and when your organised to roles, moveing in formation, patroling, and other squad drills are easyer.

I will elaborate on that. -

You have in your standard section (which i believe is made up of 10-12 men) 2 fire teams, Charlie team and Delta team. Charlie team is most important, the reason being that it will be the assualting fire team, plus the Section Commander is always in Charlie fire team, with the 2IC always in Delta Fire team. As mentioned, Charlie will assualt the enemy position whilst Delta will offer covering fire.

I said i'd do it tomorrow, but i cant be bothered,i'll do it now.

SECTION BATTLE DRILLS

A section battle drill is the guidelines set in order to sucessfully plan and carry out an attack on an enemy postion with the least ammount of casulaties. Section battle drills are split down into 6 parts and like most things on the British Army, carry a numonic device, this device is known as PREWAR.

Preperation for battle - pretty straight forward and as the name suggests, getting ready for battle. Within prep for battle there is another numonic, this is PAWPERSO.

Protection - Helmets, goggles, sutible clothing etc.

Ammunition

Weapons

Personal Camouflage - cam cream, ghille suits etc.

Equiptment - Grenades, knife, speedloader etc.

Radios

Special Equpitment - Night vision, ladders etc.

Orders - Section Commader must give clear orders about the mission such as where the enemy is thought to be, how many there are, what terrain there is etc. Also, it is paramount that a 2IC is appointed here, along with a runner/scout is radios are not avalible. The job of the runner is to send messages to other sections by running to them and speakign to their section commander.

Now, your section will depart. If your going over a plain, either in arrow head formation and if in forest, proberbly in File/staggered. In the day there should be at least 10M between each person, at night, at least 5M, however I will go into foarmtions later.

Now, your walking along and you come under fire.

Reaction to effective enemy fire - effective enemy fire is when shots are landing near/on you. A few stay warning shots need limited concern. Within 'R' is the phrase.

DASH - Everyone push forward so you are all in a straight line on the front man (who should be in CHARLIE fire team, make sure all members of Charlie and Delta team are on either site of the point man, e.g charlie on left, delta on right) of the formation, remember to keep spacings.

DOWN - Lie down in the prone psoition.

CRAWL - The enemy will of seen where you went down so move about a bit on the floor so they dont know your new position.

SIGHTS - If applicable, set sights to battle.

OBSERVE - Look for the enemy, when spotted, carry out letter 'E'

FIRE - Return Fire

Enemy Location - So, you have spotted the enemy after the reacting to their fire. When youve spoted them, use the numonic GRIT. When you spot the enemy, you must shout out to the rest of your section so they all know where the enemy is.

Group - Who are you speaking to? Charlie team, delta team, the section, the platoon? example - "SQUAD"

Range - How far away is the enemy? example - "50 METRES"

Indcation - 50 metres, but where? example - "ON TOP OF THAT TALL TREE"

Type of Fire - Unlikely that it matters, i would just use rapid fire (fire at will basically). example "RAPID FIRE"

So, you should have... "SQUAD! ENEMY LOCATED AT 50 METRES! ON TOP OF THAT TALL TREE! RAPID FIRE".

When the enemy is killed someone shout "ENEMY DOWN!"

Also, remember the numonic CLAP, it is how you should address the troops.

Clear - Make your voice clear.

Loud - Make sure the whole team can hear

As an order - Address who your taking too, e.g "Squad"

Pauses - Don't rush it, make it clear and easy to hear.

Win the firefight - Your team know where the enemy are, now its time to put down some serious firepower, take out as many of them as possible.

Assault The Enemy Position - Its time to move in, using the tactic known as 'pepper potting'. What this is is one fireteam moves forward and the other gives covering fire and then this method is repeated over and over. so, on the command given by the secion commander"CHARLIE TEAM PREPARE TO MOVE DELTA TEAM GIVE COVERING FIRE!", Charlie team get ready to repeat Dash, Down, Crawl, Sights, Observe Fire. On the command "MOVE", charlie get up and run forward about 5-10 metres weaving in and out and then get down, crawl up so theyre in line with the front man (dont want to fire over people's heads), crawl around and bit, sights, observe (no need for GRIT), however dont return fire. Here, the 2IC will say "DELTA TEAM PREPARE TO MOVE, CHARLIE TEAM GIVE COVERING FIRE, MOVE!" Delta do the same as what Charlie did. When Charlie is about 20 Metres from the enemy position, the pepper potting will stop and the command "CHARLIE TEAM, ATTACK!" will be given. Delta give covering fire for only a short period of time as they dont want to hit Charlie. The Charlie genadier (if applicable) will throw his/her grenade at the target and Charlie will run in and finish off the enemy. The section commander (or if killed a sutible replacement) will then give the order...

Reorg - Reorganisation takes place one the attack has been a sucess. At a reorg, a Harbour is formed, i will go into Harbours at a later date. Delta team follow the same path round to the reorg as charlie did, walking across unknown turf could hold some mines. The SC and 2IC will be in the middle of the harbour circle, then the 2IC will go to each troops to check up on heir ammo limits, see if theyre healthy etc. Ammo and water is replenish round the section is a person has low ammounts. There is a numonic PASSWORD for all this which I will cover when I cover harbours.

OK, so that was quickly brushed over and won't make much sence, hopefully some people will better go over some points.

Tomorrow I will go over

- Movement and the 6 S's

- Formations

- Harbour and Herringbone drills.

If you want me to cover things better, reply or PM me and I will do my best.

Thats good stuff, keep'em coming. :)

In my club here, we have teambuilding days (I stress teambuilding and not training) where some of our military pers go through the basics with people who are keen to learn.

Reason we have the teambuilding sessions is that if we can lift the skill level of individuals and their teams we can slowly lift the image of airsoft from kids playing pretend war/soldier, to a group of guys with a semi-serious hobby.

Running those sessions is paramount to learning because we never learn if we have a game as the intent is not there to pick new skills up. It creates a pure learning environment where people can debrief and give feedback during the day.

And really a lot of the responsibilities on an individual in a team can only be learnt rehearsals after rehersals, often when your SectCmd is booting your sacky *albartroth* back into line :P

But I find that most airsofters after half day, even if they are keen on learning, that their fingers generally move back naturally against the trigger and most are itching for a game.

Upskilling an airsofter I think is just as important as an airsoft game.

If you want to pose you need to have the substance to pose with!

BOOM!!!

Here you go. I posted this somewhere else on this board, which I also posted on another board. Enjoy.

Key -

R- Rifleman

S- SAW

G- 203 Gunner

F- Fireteam Leader

SL - Squad Leader

Basic Squad and Fireteam Formations

Wedge

WEDGE.JPG

The wedge formation is the basic formation for most fireteams in open terrain. It will not remain a perfect wedge, as the team must manuever around objects. Terrain will dictate how tight the wedge will be, or the distance in which the fireteam leader feels he has the most control of his team.

Move to Contact

Moving to contact is an extremely simple thing, and virtually everything the infantryman does revolves around moving to contact. When moving to contact the squad/fireteam will move forward until fired upon. Once the squad/team makes contact, several things will take place.

1.) The squad/fireteam takes cover(going prone, or getting as low as possible behind hard cover), and yelling the 3 Ds. The three Ds are Direction, Discription, Distance(in no particular order).

Ex. "12 O'Clock, 2 men, 150 meters!"

This will be repeated by everyone as it moves down the line, so everyone has a general idea of what is taking place.

2.) The team who makes contact will get on line, and attempt to gain fire superiority by going into a cyclic rate of fire, and putting as many rounds downrange as possible.

3.) The squad leader will move foward and assess the situation.

4.) Once the squad leader has moved forward he will make one of several decisions:

A.) Initiate squad attack

B.) Break Contact

C.) Get his entire squad on line, and call for reinforcements

Squad Attack

SQUADATTACK.JPG

1.) The squad will move to contact

2.) Once the squad makes contact, the lead fireteam will attempt to gain fire superiority. When the squad leader feels this has been accomplished, he will move forward to the lead fireteam's leader. The rear team will pull 360 degree security. The lead team will drop to a sustained rate of fire. When the squad leader gets to the team leader, he will assess the situation based on what the fireteam leader has reported, and determine if he is going to flank left, or right.

3.) After this decision has been made, the squad leader will move to the rear fireteam, and tell them what is taking place ahead, and what direction they will be flanking. In the above illustration, the squad leader has decided to flank right.

4.) The team will make an exaggerated manuever to the right, getting out of sight of the enemy, approximately 150 to 200 meters away from the enemy position. As the flanking team gets closer to that flank, the support by fire team(the lead fireteam) will pick up its rate of fire to a cyclic rate. The squad leader will center the team as best he can on the enemy position. Once he has done so, he will give the signal for "shift fire"(represented by the blue lines). When this signal is given the support by fire team will fire to the right of the enemy position as not to hit friendly troops if they get onto the enemy position.

5.) The flanking team will now begin to IMT(Individual Movement Techniques, or buddy team bounding) to the objective. The team will not open fire until the last possible moment, whether it be that they are discovered, or until the squad leader gives the order. They will continue to IMT through the "objective"(the enemy position) killing the enemy, and kicking the weapons of the enemy to the side. The team will keep moving until the reach the LOA(Limit of Advance), which is usually 35 meters(out of hand grenade range) from the objective. The signal for the LOA will be given by the squad leader, and will be repeated by everyone in the assaulting team. Once the LOA has been reached, the squad leader will give the "lift fire" command, which is firing on targets of opportunity if they arrise(Ex: an enemy combatant picks up a weapon). The assaulting team will pull security.

6.) The support by fire team will now pickup their weapons and equipment, and bound through the objective, until they reach their LOA. If a threat arrises, they will eliminate it. Once they reach their LOA, they will also pull security.

7.) The squad leader will now move to the apex of the "triangle" formed by the two teams at their LOA. He will then yell for an ACE report(Ammo, Casualties, Equipment), which will contain how much ammo each man has, if they are wounded(the team leader will physically check) and how much water each man has. The team leader will gather the required info, and report back to the squad leader. The squad leader will then report to his highers. Each team will redistribute ammunition, then pickup, and carry on with the mission.

LINEAR AMBUSH(could also be considered a hasty ambush)

LINEARAMBUSH.JPG

1.) The squad leader will set up an ORP(Operational Rally Point). This will be done approximately 200 to 300 meters away from the ambush point. Here, the squad will assign special teams, and distribute special equipment(claymores, anti-tank weapons for special equipment, EPW and Demolition teams) if it hasn't been done before the operation. This point will be the point in which the team will return to after the ambush. After this is completed the squad leader will take the security teams fireteam leader, and SAW, and conduct leader's recon. What the squad leader is looking for is the point in which he wants to conduct the ambush, and he is getting a general idea of where he wants to place all this men. Now, the squad leader will return to the ORP.

2.) The squad will now leave their ORP(and be counted out by the squad leader). When they arrive on site, the security teams will be sent between 50 to 75 meters from the rest of the squad on the left, and right of the ambushing fireteam. Their job is to ensure that the ambushing fireteam isn't discovered by enemy patrols or scout elements. As the enemy approaches the position they will also make sure that there are no rear elements that might be able to counter attack, or re-enforce the ambushed units. The ambushing fireteam will be hand placed by the squad leader. Claymore will also be placed by the squad leader where he feels they will be most effective.

3.) When the enemy squad approaches, the first element to sight them will send a count of enemy troops. As they approach the ambushing fireteams position, the squad leader will wait until they get into the kill zones of the claymore mines. When the squad leader is ready, the claymores will be set off. This initiates the ambush. The fireteam will open up with everything they have. They will fire until one minute has passed, and if they enemy is still moving, will continue to fire for another 30 seconds.

4.) Now the enemy has been eliminated. The ambushing fireteam will begin movement at a high rate of speed to the ORP, along with the squad leader. The squad leader will count his men coming in.

5.) After the ambushing team has arrived at the ORP, the security teams will be pulled in, and counted by the squad leader. Ammunition will now be redistributed, and the squad will carry on with the mission.

REACT TO NEAR AMBUSH

REACTTONEARAMBUSH.JPG

First, lets discuss the difference between a near, and far ambush. A near ambush is an ambush that takes place within hand grenade distance(35 meters). A far ambush is an ambush that takes palce outside of hand grenade range. Now, we will discuss what to do in case of a near ambush. Reacting to a near ambush can be done in several ways.

1.) While moving in a wedge formation, the squad recieves fire from their left flank. Someone in the team will yell the 2Ds(Distance, Direction).

2.) The squad will now attempt to get on line. In this case, the rear fireteam has been able to set up what will become a flanking manuever, and will now begin to pour on the fire. The first fireteam will now begin to assault through the ambush, and a shift fire signal will be given.

3.) The first fireteam will move to their LOA, and the signal for LOA will be given. The rear fireteam will move through the enemy position to their LOA.

4. Once all the teams have moved into position, the squad leader will move to the apex of the teams, and get the ACE report. The squad leader  will report actions to the higher, ammo will be redistributed, and the team will keep moving.

Keep in mind that if the ambush was properly executed, everyone will be dead. A far ambush can be less catastrophic on the squad than a near ambush, and reacting can be the same. In a far ambush, instead of assaulting through, the team may want to break contact, and bombard the enemy with artillery.

All that stuff I posted is what the US Army teaches to infantryman. It came from my FM7-8(Infantrymans bible), and my own personal training experiences(just waiting to go to war now...). You will obviously need to adjust it to your liking, but it is the basics(unit SOPs, and other things will dictate how it actually gets done).

Hmm we have different formations. But generally its the same idea when under contact. Although again it depends on unit SOP it is also depends on where you are likely gonna use it.

For us, we generally works on the NATO engagement ratio of only engaging when there is 3 of ours to 1 of the enemy.

This may seem like shameless advertising, and while I'm pushing a book by someone I know, I wouldn't do it if I didn't think it was the BEST tactics manual out there for Airsofters...period.

http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemD...okid~18699.aspx

Christopher Larsen is a veteran of the US military and currently does tactical training for troops all across the globe. He has been hired by the US DOD to train NCOs in Iraq and KNOWS HIS STUFF. His book is easy to read and understand (unlike most military manuals) and has amazing applicability to Airsoft tactics. Learn everything from hand signals to basic assault, defense, and ambush tactics, and everything in between. An amazing book, and if you buy the E-Book, it's only like 5 bucks!

I HIGHLY recommend this book and not for Christopher's personal profit. You will gain tremendous tactical advantage over anyone else on the field, especially if your entire squad or FT learns this book!

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy that I own the physical book but for 5 bucks you can't beat the electronic version. If anyone else gets a copy and enjoys it, please post on here.

This is all great stuff guys, I hope to make a large user knowledge base that will help airsoft games more effective. I've seen a lot of people just running into a battle and being taken out easily. If they had just followed a few basic military principles, it could of been them doing the killings.

As promised, I'm moving on to some more stuff regarding Movement. I read the piece above which was about the Americans, which I enjoyed. This is all to do with the British army so what you may know if your from another country will mean this varies.

FORMATIONS

Section Battle Formations are simple and effective methods of covering all arcs of fire and keeping friendly causalities down to a minimum. Different terrains, amount of light and space available will require different use of the 4 main formations. These are...

Single File - As the name suggests, one behind the other in a single line. You might use this when patrolling down a narrow path or when walking along side a wall. The Hand Signal for Single File is one arm raised with the fist clenched.

File/Staggered - 2 Lines, one behind the other. Now, here what can be done, is where in file it was one behind the other, take man 2,4,6 etc and make them take 3 places left. This gives you the two line staggered. What should happen is that 1 should be right, 2 left, 3 right and so on. So, when walking it should look like...

_.

_.

This would be used when patrolling down a path which is wide enough to fit 2 people in. It is very much a preferred variation of Single File. The hand signal for File is one arm raised with the fist clenched and the other arm's elbow bent at a 45 degree angle with fist clenched.

Arrowhead - As the name suggests, in the shape of a Arrow head, like ^. At the top of the arrow is a member of Charlie team, the rest of Charlie then go on his right while delta go on the left, or visa versa. This is because when we go under effective enemy fire (see my post on section battle drills), we need to have the two fire teams together, not scattered about. This would be used when travelling across open land as it will ultimately minimise allied dead at the hands of an enemy attack and at dark, it is less likely a team member will get separated from the group as it is possible on the other open field formation. The hand signal for Arrowhead formation is holding your two arms behind your back in the shape of an arrow head.

Extended Line - Imagine file, then turn it sideways. Instead on one man behind the other, it is one man next to each other in a long line. This would be used when travelling across a very wide space of open field or when we know the enemy is very close (you may remember that after DASH, DOWN, CRAWL the squad lines up in a straight line, this is extended line). The hand signal for extended line is having your arms out horizontal to your body.

So, there are the formations but how do we use them properly? Well there are a few basic rules.

Spacing - These are extremely important. In the light there should be at least 10 metres between each person, when its dark, at least 5. If you get sucked in to one big group, an enemy machine gunner can take you out with ease, spacing make it harder.

Positioning - Charlie team and Delta team don’t mix. If its file or single file, Charlie at the front, delta at the back. If its arrow head, Charlie on one side, Delta on the other. AS I’ve set, the teams need to be together if they go under effective enemy fire. The section commander either goes at the front of the section, or second in line. The section commander will of been briefed by his platoon commander, he knows where to go, the entire section may not, therefore he needs to go at the front. If everyone knows what they are doing, he may elect a point man from Charlie to be at the front whilst he goes second. The 2IC goes at the back on the Delta fire team

Patrolling - When moving, always look to your left and right, you are looking for your enemy, when spotted you can shout "ENEMY SPOTTED! AXIS LEFT!" and everyone will turn to their left and undergo DASH DOWN CRAWL etc. The second man from the back is responsible for looking all around him, not just left and right. The second from the back does it so the man at the back can see if he is about to trip over or even get unattached from the group. I will go into the movement of patrolling shortly.

There are some other formations, but these are very rarely used, such as 'box', but they are only used in special circumstances. Next up...

MOVEMENT

Movement is very important. Not only are there ways of movement, there is making sure you move correctly. So, tactical ways of moving.

The Walk - Standard walk.

Ghost Walk - Walking, but a lot quieter. Lift you knees up and when putting the foot down, roll it on the ball and side on your foot very slowly. Would be used when close to an enemy and wish to remain quiet.

The Run - Simple enough, well, its more of a quick jog. Keep you back bent over as you move. Used when quickly advancing on an enemy position.

The Monkey Run - Get on your fists and knees, and go on from there. The reason you don’t use your palm is because there is more skin and fat there, if you were to get something in the fist, its mostly bone. It wouldn’t hurt as much and would be easily removable. If you move on your palm however, it will be a lot more painful nd difficult to remove. Would be used when near the enemy but not near enough for them to be able to hear you.

Leopard Crawl - You basic crawl whilst lying down. Would be used when need to remain unseen by the enemy.

Kitten Crawl - Lie down and get on your toes and fists. This is the ghost walk on the crawls. You remain very low and quiet. Used when very close to the enemy and must remain unseen and unheard.

When moving you must also be aware of your appearance. Your wholes section’s position can be given away if one man is seen. This is known as the 6 S's.

Sort of movement - As covered, the types of actual movement, e.g. the monkey run.

Sound - Be aware of the sound you are making, be aware the closer to the enemy you are, the quieter you must be.

Silhouete - Don't stand on top a hill, your enemy will see you. Move amongst any permanent fixtures there, such as trees, bushes etc.

Shape - If its a piece of flat land and there is just a bump in the middle of the field, you will be investigated and/or shot at. Make sure you break your shape up, this should of been the 4th thing you did when getting prepared for battle, remember PAWPERSO? Stick leaves in your hat, fasten bits of the local terrain to your person, BLEND IN.

Shine - Remove or scuff up anything which may catch the sun or light. So, that means remove beret badges, cover up watches, don't polish your boots (that’s not saying don't clean them) etc.

Shadow - Don't cast a shadow. Shadows are a big aid to the enemy. Try to blend in with the local environment as much as possible.

When moving you have to remain unseen and unheard, that is your goal.

OK, well, that’s me done for now, later on I’ll cover Harbour drills and Ambushes.

More S's, everyone seems to get taught different ones.

Smoke - Don't.

Surface - Basicly don't walk on broken glass and stuff.

Smell - After 24 hours in the field your senses improve almost 100%, it's possible to smell deoderant from over a mile away. Keep clean but not smelly.

BOOM!!!

Here you go. I posted this somewhere else on this board, which I also posted on another board. Enjoy.

The way we were taught from an Iraq US Marine Vet was that the formation for wedges was that the support gunner was on the side by himself. Reason being is that he can hold incoming fire from that side down. You put your rifleman on the long side to hold fire from that direction, due to reloading as well as just plain lack of a good way for surpressing fire they can work easier. Support, in most cases indicates person with the highest ROF and range. In some Marine squads it is the DMR in the front and SAW in the back.

For the US Military "Pepper Potting" is also called Bounding. Its used in small groups mainly but can be done with larger groups. Main purpose, keep the enemies head down while one group gets closer.

A good way to practice this is to get 2 pairs of people, find the clearest spot on your land, then have them practice bounding/Pepper potting without shooting (Yelling bang if necessary)

This may seem like shameless advertising, and while I'm pushing a book by someone I know, I wouldn't do it if I didn't think it was the BEST tactics manual out there for Airsofters...period.

http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemD...okid~18699.aspx

Christopher Larsen is a veteran of the US military and currently does tactical training for troops all across the globe.  He has been hired by the US DOD to train NCOs in Iraq and KNOWS HIS STUFF.  His book is easy to read and understand (unlike most military manuals) and has amazing applicability to Airsoft tactics.  Learn everything from hand signals to basic assault, defense, and ambush tactics, and everything in between.  An amazing book, and if you buy the E-Book, it's only like 5 bucks!

I HIGHLY recommend this book and not for Christopher's personal profit.  You will gain tremendous tactical advantage over anyone else on the field, especially if your entire squad or FT learns this book!

Let me know if you have any questions.  I'm happy that I own the physical book but for 5 bucks you can't beat the electronic version.  If anyone else gets a copy and enjoys it, please post on here.

+1 for this book as well. The tactics are US-centric but are a good basic explanation.

I will elaborate on that. -

You have in your standard section (which i believe is made up of 10-12 men) 2 fire teams, Charlie team and Delta team. Charlie team is most important, the reason being that it will be the assualting fire team, plus the Section Commander is always in Charlie fire team, with the 2IC always in Delta Fire team. As mentioned, Charlie will assualt the enemy position whilst Delta will offer covering fire.

I said i'd do it tomorrow, but i cant be bothered,i'll do it now.

SECTION BATTLE DRILLS

A section battle drill is the guidelines set in order to sucessfully plan and carry out an attack on an enemy postion with the least ammount of casulaties. Section battle drills are split down into 6 parts and like most things on the British Army, carry a numonic device, this device is known as PREWAR.

Preperation for battle - pretty straight forward and as the name suggests, getting ready for battle. Within prep for battle there is another numonic, this is PAWPERSO.

Protection - Helmets, goggles, sutible clothing etc.

Ammunition

Weapons

Personal Camouflage - cam cream, ghille suits etc.

Equiptment - Grenades, knife, speedloader etc.

Radios

Special Equpitment - Night vision, ladders etc.

Orders - Section Commader must give clear orders about the mission such as where the enemy is thought to be, how many there are, what terrain there is etc. Also, it is paramount that a 2IC is appointed here, along with a runner/scout is radios are not avalible. The job of the runner is to send messages to other sections by running to them and speakign to their section commander.

Now, your section will depart. If your going over a plain, either in arrow head formation and if in forest, proberbly in File/staggered. In the day there should be at least 10M between each person, at night, at least 5M, however I will go into foarmtions later.

Now, your walking along and you come under fire.

Reaction to effective enemy fire - effective enemy fire is when shots are landing near/on you. A few stay warning shots need limited concern. Within 'R' is the phrase.

DASH - Everyone push forward so you are all in a straight line on the front man (who should be in CHARLIE fire team, make sure all members of Charlie and Delta team are on either site of the point man, e.g charlie on left, delta on right) of the formation, remember to keep spacings.

DOWN - Lie down in the prone psoition.

CRAWL - The enemy will of seen where you went down so move about a bit on the floor so they dont know your new position.

SIGHTS - If applicable, set sights to battle.

OBSERVE - Look for the enemy, when spotted, carry out letter 'E'

FIRE - Return Fire

Enemy Location - So, you have spotted the enemy after the reacting to their fire. When youve spoted them, use the numonic GRIT. When you spot the enemy, you must shout out to the rest of your section so they all know where the enemy is.

Group - Who are you speaking to? Charlie team, delta team, the section, the platoon? example - "SQUAD"

Range - How far away is the enemy? example - "50 METRES"

Indcation - 50 metres, but where? example - "ON TOP OF THAT TALL TREE"

Type of Fire - Unlikely that it matters, i would just use rapid fire (fire at will basically). example "RAPID FIRE"

So, you should have... "SQUAD! ENEMY LOCATED AT 50 METRES! ON TOP OF THAT TALL TREE! RAPID FIRE".

When the enemy is killed someone shout "ENEMY DOWN!"

Also, remember the numonic CLAP, it is how you should address the troops.

Clear - Make your voice clear.

Loud - Make sure the whole team can hear

As an order - Address who your taking too, e.g "Squad"

Pauses - Don't rush it, make it clear and easy to hear.

Win the firefight - Your team know where the enemy are, now its time to put down some serious firepower, take out as many of them as possible.

Assault The Enemy Position - Its time to move in, using the tactic known as 'pepper potting'. What this is is one fireteam moves forward and the other gives covering fire and then this method is repeated over and over. so, on the command given by the secion commander"CHARLIE TEAM PREPARE TO MOVE DELTA TEAM GIVE COVERING FIRE!", Charlie team get ready to repeat Dash, Down, Crawl, Sights, Observe Fire. On the command "MOVE", charlie get up and run forward about 5-10 metres weaving in and out and then get down, crawl up so theyre in line with the front man (dont want to fire over people's heads), crawl around and bit, sights, observe (no need for GRIT), however dont return fire. Here, the 2IC will say "DELTA TEAM PREPARE TO MOVE, CHARLIE TEAM GIVE COVERING FIRE, MOVE!" Delta do the same as what Charlie did. When Charlie is about 20 Metres from the enemy position, the pepper potting will stop and the command "CHARLIE TEAM, ATTACK!" will be given. Delta give covering fire for only a short period of time as they dont want to hit Charlie. The Charlie genadier (if applicable) will throw his/her grenade at the target and Charlie will run in and finish off the enemy. The section commander (or if killed a sutible replacement) will then give the order...

Reorg - Reorganisation takes place one the attack has been a sucess. At a reorg, a Harbour is formed, i will go into Harbours at a later date. Delta team follow the same path round to the reorg as charlie did, walking across unknown turf could hold some mines. The SC and 2IC will be in the middle of the harbour circle, then the 2IC will go to each troops to check up on heir ammo limits, see if theyre healthy etc. Ammo and water is replenish round the section is a person has low ammounts. There is a numonic PASSWORD for all this which I will cover when I cover harbours.

OK, so that was quickly brushed over and won't make much sence, hopefully some people will better go over some points.

Tomorrow I will go over

- Movement and the 6 S's

- Formations

- Harbour and Herringbone drills.

If you want me to cover things better, reply or PM me and I will do my best.

Excelent information, good info, just a few additions...

Im at TA 2nd LT btw, so i thought id offer some info)

but i saw the cadet reaction to enemy fire there...

also only 8men per standard british army section, something cadets dont do due to numbers.

reaction to enemy fire by the regulars and TA is RTR

Return fire, Take cover, Respond to enemy fire.

Basically, come under contact, you return fire, usually the pointman in the patrol will empty a full mag at the enemy as the squad takes cover (why pointmen get hit more)

your put down a few rounds in the enemy direction and find cover.

The section, depending on formation, say arrowhead, with perform tactial bounds backwards, till in line with the rear men of the section. then, after fire control orders are given, the section commander craws back to asses the situation, then, using either charlie or delta section, whichever is more suited to flank the enemy does the attack while the one in the best supression position stays to cover, not always delta as you said.

the flanking section moves round, leaving the lsw gunner, and a rifleman in a secondery cover position, and the fireteam IC and grenadier crawl forwards, (suprssion sections switch fire now away from thier troops attacking) clear the position, and call re org. where CASAM is taken, (casualties and amunition status, this is then relayed back to the section IC from the 2ic, and then back upto platoon sgt if on platoon attack etc...

its not a harbour formed on the position, you move beyond it to avoid mortar hits on the position if the enemy know you have it, and you just go to all round defense, not a harbour :P

questions?

Thanks for that. I learnt a lot of this in the Combined Cadet Force so it may not be 100% accurate to the British Army, so your input is appreciated.

Regarding the Reaction to effective enemy fire, i chose to use DDCSOF beacuse to a lot of airsofters this is brand new stuff to them, RTR is an overview of the 6 points, but i felt that DDCSOF covered the actual drill in better detail.

Hmm we have different formations.  But generally its the same idea when under contact.  Although again it depends on unit SOP it is also depends on where you are likely gonna use it.

For us, we generally works on the NATO engagement ratio of only engaging when there is 3 of ours to 1 of the enemy.

my team use sas engagement ratio of only attacking when there is 3 of them to our 1 :P

I have the Ebook, and it is one of the best purches I have made. Eventually I will get Kinkos to print it so that I have the hard cover, unless its cheaper to buy and ship the hard cover. Once everybody has had the oppertuinity to sit down and read the relevent sections, and practice useing the information contianed within it helps a lot.

KM3

my team use sas engagement ratio of only attacking when there is 3 of them to our 1 :P

Classic :D

It is airsoft after all, where times I have seen a 2 man army take on 15 and win:)

Even if 15 were no more organised than the bunch of cows on the same field as us.

A teambuilding/tactics event would be very good, but remember that this is airsoft, and not the army. Not everyone has the discipline to stand in a line, move in a line, some people may not like being talked to even slightly forcefully (especially women during cockups in practice assaults) and being airsoft you cannot dish out punishments. You would need to run the events either over multiple days to get people intune to the environment, or run them periodically.

Archived