Military Tactics

Kousnik

HARBOUR DRILLS

Harbour drills may not have as much of a place in airsoft, unless your fighting on a pretty large scale area and there are major targets. Also, there are 2 kinds of Harbour, a hasty and deliberate harbour. Unless your playing a MILSIM game where you need to set up a bivvy site, you don't need to know about deliberate harbours. These harbours are set RDV points which will have been decided before going out to 'battle'. I am covering hasty harbours, i'll go on.

A harbour in the terms of naval vessels is where ships can wait for a bit, refuel, have wounded attended to and decide where to go from there. It's the same principle in a military Harbour drill. The point of a harbour is to replenish ammunition, water etc between the troops if certain people have run low, it is to access the situation nearby and to deal with causalities. Harbours will usually be called once the 'Reorg' (remember PREWAR?) command has been ordered, although they can be undertaken during the objective, but its likely a Herringbone will be used instead, it all depends on the environment and situation, but I will go into this later.

So, like all good things in the British Army, we have a pneumonic for the harbour drill. Certain regiments use different drills, I am using the RMP pneumonic which i have been taught. This is PASSWORD.

Protection - Make sure the coast is clear. If a Reorg has been called then all the enemy should be dead. To make sure everything is covered, the section lies down in a big circle, maybe 7 or 8 metres between each person with the section commander and 2IC in the middle. This gives us all round defence and all arcs of fire are covered.

Ammunition - The second in command will come to each troop to enquire if they have enough or need more ammunition.

Search Enemy Dead - The 2ic will take a certain amount of troops with him to search enemy dead. Things you are looking for are his rank, regiment, any documents he may have on him, and make notes or take with you parts of his uniform, anythign which will identify future enemies. This can all apply to a MILSIM airsoft game, although i don't recommend taking their uniform :P .

Shell Scrapes - A shell scrape is a hole in the ground which when knelt in, hides the whole body. These are only required if you intend to stay there for a while.

Weapons/Wounded - Check weapons are working, clean if necessary. Also now treat the wounded in your party.

Orders - The section commander will brief the 2IC who will in turn brief the rest of squad 1 by 1. The 2IC is the second commander's work horse, in battle he carries all spare ammunition and relays messages to troops. You need to keep quiet in the harbour in case you heard, so the message needs to be given 1 by 1. Since the section commander will be far too busy ( :P ) this becomes the 2IC's job. I speak on past experience, don't be the 2IC!

Replenish - Now ammunition is given to those without any. Water is shared around, anything that a person needs and hasn't got, if someone else has spare, they share it out.

Departure - Leaving the harbour as directed by the section commander.

So, as you can see, harbours are very much rest breaks and a chance for the section commander and 2IC to discuss their next move. Now, as i mentioned before, it may not be suitable for a harbour or be too time consuming. The solution is a Herringbone. A Herringbone is used to a very quick reorganisation and to check everything is OK. You may use it on a narrow path where there isn't enough room for a Harbour. What is done is everyone assembles in a straight line, as if they were in single file formation and then move to within about a metre of each other and kneel down. The person at the front faces forward, second person faces left, third faces right, fourth faces left etc until you get to the last person who faces backwards. It should look something like this...

^

<

>

<

>

<

>

v

All arcs of fire are covered as you can see. Herringbones are also used when crossing an obstacle or when the section is stopped due to any reason. Instead of all just standing around, you kneel down in a herringbone and only stand up when you need to move. Herringbones are also used when reaching a FRV point after a ambush, to check everyone is there and ready to move.

Well, that was very brief and may not be 100% accurate as some people know it so as always, if anyone can expand on it, please do.

Maybe later I will cover the basics of an ambush, they are complex things which I don't know everything about.

Someone also correct me if I am mistaken, some more added info.

From what we do here, usually section sized units don't form "harbours" as such. Only platoon sized units form "harbours". Usually in a triangular formation.

Sections form section posts, which is essentially a wagon wheel all round defense.

platoonharbourtc5.png

Aside from that, both their purposes are the same, for halting, reorg, etc.

Shell scrapes are only dug if stopping for > 5 mins and expecting indirect fire weapons (mortars and artillery), not necessarily needed for airsoft, and dead enemies hmm, well...depends if its a milsim game and how realistic you want to take it :P

3vi1-D4n,

What you have there is what we call a Patrol Base. Becuase its a different country, the positioning might be different; here is what I see wrong based on what I've been taught: Instead of having your machine guns pointed out, at 12, 4, and 8 o clock, the machine guns on each corner should be pointing (in order clockwise) 3, 8 and 1 oclock. You do this becuase if your position is getting overrun, the machine guns fire sectors will be just in front of your men, but not on them, putting down a solid wall of lead, that the enemy won't be able to cross. I could go into detail about how to set up a patrol base, but it would take me hours to get it all done correctly. here are a few things that I see weren't mentioned reguarding a "Harbour" or "Patrol Base".

1.) Never stay in a patrol base for more than 24 hours.

2.) When you are in this patrol base, you should be digging in, and constantly improving your fighting positions

3.) Make sure a leaders recon is conducted before you attempt to set up a Patrol Base, you might be walking an entire platoon into an ambush.

4.) You ALWAYS set up a patrol base in the shittiest place, ever. This way you are less likely to make contact(and contact, in a patrol base is not what you want).

5.) Never set up near game trails, or paths that humans can easily cross.

6.) When in a patrol base, there should be 2 important codes:

a.) Black: Pick up your *beep*, and beat feet 300 meters minimum to a designated direction(12 for instance)

b.) Gold: Pick up your *beep*, beat feet 300 meters minimum the opposite distance from Black.

7.) A patrol base is NOT for stopping for short periods of time as stated earlier. That is called a short halt, and you don't set up a patrol base for that. Instead you set up a 360 degree "Cigar" perimeter. If you have set up a patrol base, you are planning on not moving for several hours.

8.) When in a patrol base, you should be at 50(1 man up, for every 1 man down) percent security. When your machine gun goes down for whatever reason(typically maintenence) you go to 75% security(3 men up, for every 1 man down).

9.) Cover "deadspace"(areas you can't hit with direct fire weapons) with claymores, and 203s.

Those are just a few things. I see alot of good potential for you wanna be infantrymen :).

(Now go enlist dammit!)

just some more general tactics:

Field Craft.

This is basically personal camouflage and movement in the field.

1. Camouflage:

This is best summed up in, Shape, Shine, Silhouette and Shadow.

Shape: Disguise your human and weapon shape by breaking it up with natural camouflage such as grass, twigs and vegetation. But don’t look different from your surroundings.

Shine:

Wear suitable drab/cammo clothing, with no bright parts. Dull down flesh with cammo cream; put drab coverings on shiny weapon/accessory parts.

Silhouette:

Don’t stand on a skyline or against an object with a large colour mass.

Shadow:

Move in the shadow of larger objects if you can.

Blend in with the surroundings and don’t stand out.

2. Movement:

Remember:

- Move slowly watching all around.

- Keep an eye on ground objects that will make a noise if stepped on.

- Stop regularly to listen and look around.

- Use only hand signals or quiet radio communication, avoid shouting or whistling.

- Keep spacing between you and your team mate at least 3 meters, don’t bunch up.

Section Attacks

In order to overcome obstacles and win a battle the team needs to work together as a section and provide mutual support. The section needs to be divided in to two equal fire teams, each with as equal firepower as possible. The section commander 1ic commands one team (Alpha) the second in command 2ic the second (Bravo).

A good attack can be achieved by remembering the term:

Paul, Really, Loves. WAR.

P= Preparation: Cammo, ammo, orders.

R= Reaction to enemy fire: Dash 2 meters, get down, crawl away 1 meter, observe enemy position and return fire.

L=Location: Who can see the enemy best give the section their location for rapid return fire. Then section commander decides whether he can attack or pull out. If he wants to attack…….

W= Win the fire fight: Fire superiority. Put down enough fire to keep enemies heads down. Use weapons with a high rate of fire here.

A= Assault: Use fire teams to assault position. Pepper pot towards the enemy. One team moves 5-10 m one covers. Then swap over. Keep going fast and deliberate. Get in to the enemy position.

If a frontal assault is too difficult use one fire team to give covering fire whist one fire team moves around enemy flanks to assault, using available cover.

Note: To do this correctly the section must communicate and move as swiftly as possible.

R= Re-organisation: Get the section in on the newly occupied position and prepare for a counterattack or a further advance.

Basic Section Movement

Moving around the gaming area/battlefield is essential for a good section. The following are possible formations they may adopt. All spaces between men should be at least 3 meters.

Single File:

Good for moving along hedges or edges of woods

Bad for restricted front firepower.

Double file:

Moving along sides of a track: Good for control

Bad for being an easy target.

Arrowhead:

Good for open country with maximum firepower to the front.

Bad as difficult to control and vulnerable to flanking fire.

Extended line:

Good for assaulting a position

Bad as difficult to control.

Static all round defence:

Good as a way of holding an open position

Bad in that it can be surrounded.

The Section Commander will need to decide which formations to adopt on the move.

GlockGuy945: Interesting, I guess different countries do do it slightly differently. We have one MG facing the direction of threat pointing directly out of the harbour. Perhaps its also my inexperience.

Yes it does take a lot of effort setting up a harbour, and all your points you listed directly relate to it.

Infantry is definately not an ideal corp to be in.

This is some great stuff. I too have the Light Infantry Tactics E-book and it's great. This Glock guy seems to know what he's talking about as well. Let's hope this kind of mindset makes airsofters more knowledgeable and professional-looking while on the field.

(It's scary how interchangeable armor and infantry tactics are)

This is some great stuff.  I too have the Light Infantry Tactics E-book and it's great.  This Glock guy seems to know what he's talking about as well.  Let's hope this kind of mindset makes airsofters more knowledgeable and professional-looking while on the field.

(It's scary how interchangeable armor and infantry tactics are)

Well, basic infantry and armor tactics are the same exact concepts, firing, and manuevering. These tactics change quiet a bit once you get into urbanized warfare.

(example, attacking a bunker is different than assaulting a building)

Not to mention formations go to *beep* once the lead (read: plastic) starts flying.

Eh, not really. I mean obviously you won't be perfect, but it will obviously be a wedge. Keep in mind you aren't meant to move in a wedge under fire, you are in a line, bounding 2 men at a time.

when contacted, lets say in file patroling:

If from the front, your would form a baseline,and then peal off one by one in reverse pepperpotting, so you can cover your retreat, to a safe. then *fruitcage* off fast in order of march :)

if from the side,drop in order of march and RTR, then peall from the front to the rear, moving the squad sideways the way you came (known clear)

IF contacted from the rear, its likely a following squad, so SOP is to fight through, as ground to the front and sides is unknown for a bugout.

Aussie Peel as suggested by Belladonna above:

Lead man dumps mag at ze enemy, peels to the rear, rinse and repeat until contact is broken. Bounding if probably preferable if you have enough people with the old 'Move'/'Moving' commands.

Unless you are a small unit operating without support against a much larger force it's preferable to assault the ambush. Reasoning? A properly setup ambush will have interlocking fields of fire within the killing zone. Lateral movement will keep you within those fields of fire and moving away will open you up to fire from more people not less! Closing means you have less people shooting at you, can bring fire more effectively on the enemy and then work your way up the line of ambush. Essentially seizing the initiative, which you probably lost really badly getting ambushed in the first place.

Sorry for the lack of illustration

Breaking Contact:

1.)While in a squad wedge formation, the squad recieves fire. The entire squad goes to ground. The basics for move to contact have been initiated.

2.) When the squad leader moved up to access the situation, he decides to break contact instead of flank.

3.) The lead fireteam will lay down a base of fire, attempting to supress the enemy. While this is done, the rear fireteam, will get on line to the rear, and left(or right) of the lead fireteam.

4.) Now the squad may initiate fireteam bounding backwards(picking up, running 15 meters or whatever the squadleader may choose). While each fireteam moves, the other supresses. They should be firing at a cyclic rate of fire. The squad will do so until they are no longer recieving fire.

5.) The squad will move to the last rally point, then call to higher, and await orders.

If the squad has special weapons(smokes, ect) they may wish to deploy them at squad leader discretion.

Unless you are a small unit operating without support against a much larger force it's preferable to assault the ambush. Reasoning? A properly setup ambush will have interlocking fields of fire within the killing zone. Lateral movement will keep you within those fields of fire and moving away will open you up to fire from more people not less! Closing means you have less people shooting at you, can bring fire more effectively on the enemy and then work your way up the line of ambush. Essentially seizing the initiative, which you probably lost really badly getting ambushed in the first place.

What you said also depends on the ambush, if you read some of my other posts. If it is a near ambush(35 meters or closer) you NEVER break contact(chances are, you won't live long enough to make a decision). If it is a far ambush(35 meters or more, hopefully more) you may wish to call in arty/mortar fire, break contact, intiate squad attack, or call for backup. Obviously, if you are being ambushed, the squad leader won't be able to initiate the basics for squad attack, and he may have to yell out the commands, instead of moving amongst the squad doing his thing.

Most of the things I am preaching here require lots of practice in order to accomplish them properly. The biggest thing to remember when practicing

SLOW IS SMOOTH, SMOOTH IS FAST

What you said also depends on the ambush, if you read some of my other posts. If it is a near ambush(35 meters or closer) you NEVER break contact(chances are, you won't live long enough to make a decision). If it is a far ambush(35 meters or more, hopefully more) you may wish to call in arty/mortar fire, break contact, intiate squad attack, or call for backup. Obviously, if you are being ambushed, the squad leader won't be able to initiate the basics for squad attack, and he may have to yell out the commands, instead of moving amongst the squad doing his thing.

Most of the things I am preaching here require lots of practice in order to accomplish them properly. The biggest thing to remember when practicing

SLOW IS SMOOTH, SMOOTH IS FAST

SPEED IS IN THE EFFICIENCY OF MOTION ;)

Calling in mortar/arty/cas is a little beyond Airsoft most of the time!

and faster is better :P you can out run bullets you know.... :waggle:

Faster isn't better in a training environment. If you perform these actions like *beep*(read: fast) in real combat(or airsoft), you'll die. If you die, you are no good. Thus you practice slow and smooth, until you can do them properly, and effeciently. There are three stages when you are training:

Crawling

Walking

Running

The first time you do it, you're crawling. Learning how it is done, asking questions, ect. After you understand the concepts, you start walking. Going through it, practicing, working out bugs you might have, setting up SOPs. After you're done walking, you start running. At this point you are doing it exactly how it should be done, without kinks or problems. If you do this, it will not only look good, but you won't fall apart when this plan actually goes into effect via a firefight.

Archived