Bugger.

*exits room*

*changes pants again*

*re-enters room*

*holds the word 'c**e' back*

*checks pants*

Good.

----------------------------

Back on topic...did someone say 'post-count'?

I thought I heard someone calling me... ;)

----------------------------

Also...

The bats! The bats have the fruitcage!

malesw.fruitcage.jpg

Best. Post. Ever.

CLAYMATION LINKAGE!

------------------------------------

Facts about 'Sledgehammer' by Peter Gabriel

This was influenced by the '60s Soul music Gabriel listened to as a teenager. The horn section was typical of this sound.

This is about sex. The innuendo was typical of the Blues music Gabriel drew from.

Gabriel: "Sometimes sex can break through barriers when other forms of communication are not working too well."

The lyrics were inspired by a quote from German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, who said a good book breaks through like "An ax in a frozen sea."

Gabriel used a horn section on this, which led to criticism that he was trying to copy the style of Phil Collins to gain commercial success. Collins was using horns and getting a lot of radio play with songs like "Easy Lover" and "Sussudio." Gabriel has said that this was never his intent and that he was more of an influence on Collins, his band mate with Genesis.

The wildly innovative video was directed by Steve Jordan and featured stop-motion claymation techniques. It swept the MTV video music awards in 1987, and is considered a major breakthrough.

The video was #4 on MTV's list of the Top 100 of all time. #1-3 were "Thriller," "Vogue," and "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

The lyrics are loaded with phallic symbols. In addition to the word "sledgehammer," other references to the male member include the train, bumper cars, and big dipper.

This was Gabriel's first #1 single in the US. His former band, Genesis, had their first #1, "Invisible Touch," a few weeks later.

The "Big Dipper" is a reference to a wooden roller coaster at Blackpool Pleasure Beach in England.

"Show me 'round your fruitcake" is one of the most mis-heard lyrics of all time. The line is actually: "Show me 'round your fruit cage" Fruit cage is evidently a British slang term for a woman's reproductive organs. Knowing this fact, and then seeing Peter perform these lines with his daughter must've made things a tad uncomfortable if they stopped to think about what they were saying.

The footage of swimming sperm was included in the video partly because Gabriel wanted to get pictures of sperm shown on 'Top of the Pops'.

This song was played so often by MTV when it was popular that Peter Gabriel himself called MTV and asked them to quit playing it, but they refused.

----------------------------------------

*fruitcage* me, it's a wallpaper!

----------------------------------------

Because fruitcages make bats horny... :blink:

image020.jpg

Sorry... :mellow:

Archived