ACU

TheLair

How well does ACU work in a woodland environment? Or in more of a foresty area, where there are a lot of trees? Ive considered ACU since where I live the leaves will eventually die and fall to the ground, and the tan might work well with the dead leaves. Any opinions?

Or would I be better off going with a digital woodland, or tigerstripe?

I was planning on getting a blackhawk plate carrier with a few pouches, so what color carrier should I get?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Universal Pattern in a well lighted forest / woodland area = I-C-U.

If it's got lots of shadowy areas, then it does work fine as it honestly does break up the human outline well.

Whether MARPAT would work better depends on how "Olive" your area is... but almost definately would work better than Army Universal.

ACU will work in a deciduous forest quite well. Basically, if the forest incorporates 2 or more on the colours in Universal cam then it should work to some degree, remember that the job of universal cam isnt to hide you, its to break up the wearers shape, opinion on this is mixed though.

my friends and i all bought acu recently, mainly because it looks cool. almost all the other people who play at the same site as us wear dpm.

i was surprised that (in my experience, at the places i play, woodland foresty) that the acu works alot better than dpm. obviously when people are right in front of you, no camo works that well, but at 15m the acu really starts to blend (dpm still really easy to see) and at 20-25m the acu disappears, dpm blends in but i can spot the dpm guys alot easier than my friends. sometimes my group loses eachother (read: the acu is really good).

acu gets alot of flak, mainly i guess because it's bluey, grayey colour. but it is those colours that let it adapt by reflecting and thus imitating the colours around it, darker camos like tri colour and dpm don't reflect at all and always stay the same colour.

basically, we all bought it because we wanted to be different and it looks cool. as a bonus, (imo) it works really well, better than dpm, cadpat or flecktarn, the only camo i'd be tempted to try would be multicam (although i don't think it will be quite so good in urban, and as a result, no quite as universal).

There are plenty of people bashing ACU, but if it was as poor as its being branded, why would one of the best armed forces in the world of adopted it? I would take note of the millions of dollars put into researching universal cam before judging it, even when a lot of people havent used it.

dechande, post up some pics of your skirmish sites. I really do want to see blue and grey trees/leaves.

i play here:

http://www.ultimateairsoft.co.uk/photoalbu...mish/index.html

and here:

http://www.ultimateairsoft.co.uk/photoalbu...2006/index.html

i don't think you quite got what i said. the acu is light blue/green, tan and grey kind of colours, because it is light it reflects other colours, thus blending in. the trees where i play, as you can see in the pics are 'normal' green trees.

There are plenty of people bashing ACU, but if it was as poor as its being branded, why would one of the best armed forces in the world of adopted it?

Because it's cheaper than the other pattern in the running (Multicam) :P

It's not actually that bad. I used it at Vortex a couple of weeks back and it was alright - not brilliant, but so-so. The design of the uniform itself, however, is SPOT-FRICKIN'-ON. Pockets and velcro exactly where you need them, very functional and comfortable.

i like ACU, i think it works, it breaks up the human form,

the jackets good but mines an XL instead of M size, cuz my dad got my ACUs from america and i wasnt there, so the sleaves are a bit long.

Ive only used ACU for woodland once and it worked fine, but usually for woodland i use dpm or MARPAT

It's not actually that bad. I used it at Vortex a couple of weeks back and it was alright - not brilliant, but so-so. The design of the uniform itself, however, is SPOT-FRICKIN'-ON. Pockets and velcro exactly where you need them, very functional and comfortable.

Im not saying that it is the BEST patern ever to be invented, both by man and aliens, but its a LOT better than people give it credit for.

Israel have got a pretty good army. Not that I like the country one bit, but the military is slightly impressive.

agreed on the design thing, that why im dyeing some OD as soon as they come through the post!

Darkchild

i play here:

http://www.ultimateairsoft.co.uk/photoalbu...mish/index.html

and here:

http://www.ultimateairsoft.co.uk/photoalbu...2006/index.html

i don't think you quite got what i said. the acu is light blue/green, tan and grey kind of colours, because it is light it reflects other colours, thus blending in. the trees where i play, as you can see in the pics are 'normal' green trees.

The area I play in looks alot like the area in the pics above. The main reason for me choosing ACU was the availability of it. There are many different pouches and whatnot in ACU compared to woodland. Besides I also like how it looks. But if Im going to stick out then forget about it.

I do also like MARPAT, which is probably better for the area Im in. But my main gripe was finding a vest that would match well with it. If someone could link me to a plate carrier or LBV in a MARPAT pattern I would really appreciate it.

Multicam is what I was originally going for, but it is very difficult to find.

agreed on the design thing, that why im dyeing some OD as soon as they come through the post!

Darkchild

Darkchild-

You can get OD ACU's from TRU Spec. They have a series of SWAT BDU's cut exactly like the ACU in SOLIDS such as OD, TAN, NAVY, BLACK, and a few others if I recall.

http://www.tigerstripeproducts.com/php3fe0...php?cat=16&pg=4

ok, when I play in a gravel pit, Ill don my ACUs.

I only own ACUs right now for the USSF DA loadout I do, only because its fun and because I want use out of them, the USGI ones are very breathable so they feel great in a very hot RAV and full kit....

I use BDUs and DCUs for everything else and I am sorely tempted to delve into the MC ring at this moment.

Other than that, ACUs to look the part, but your gonna get shot in the woods and ###### your mates off faster if you were ACUs in the forest.

Archived