ACU

TheLair

I swear it doesn't look blue to me in the slightest.

same here, i see no blue in ACU. then again i also see no green either. (except the velcro)

btw does anyone know where i can get the 3/4 inch IFF glint tape? technically its only supposed to be sold to forces personell but i'd REALLY like to get hold of some....er more.... :D

pete

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is clearly an issue of perception; we can't agree on the perceived 'blueness' of ACU, but the fact that some people see it as such (myself included) and others don't is at least proof that we'll never be able to settle the matter.

Interestingly, I just loaded a swatch of ACU into some photo-editing software, and applied a Gaussian blur until it was one uniform colour.

camopattern-acu.jpg

If you think that's green OR blue, please take a number and wait for the the doctor.

I see 5 shades of grey, 3 greens, 2 browns and a lilac.

The point is, of course, that if some people DO see this as blue (in the field), then it's usefulness is compromised. I'd suggest that if your team all see it as grey or green, you need to recruit someone who sees it as blue as an ACU spotter.

Wait - you say the forum is what? :D

Hmmm. Is it just me that sees the pattern? I just copied the picture to try it against different backgrounds and my saved image is a uniform grey, yet when I view it in the forum I get a pattern. Perhaps it's my browser or something.

Whoa! Just opened the uniform grey image in Paint (rather than Windows Picture and Fax Viewer), and it's all swirly. Weird.

There are subtle variations of a neutral grey in the pic which show up as cloud-like pattern. No blueish or greenish or redish tints should be visible; if you can make out any they might very well be contributed to poorly calibrated monitors or messed color tables. I'm only a lowly graphics artist with a tiny ad agency behind a single carefully calibrated monitor, dunno if that rules me out of the game...

I saw Misfit running his Hyperstealth (the really, really, really, really, really green one) at Fireball. I was running my ACUs.

They were both as bad as each other in the wrong conditions. In ferns, the Hyperstealth was amazing - it just disappeared. Anything other than ferns and it stuck out a freakin' mile. ACUs worked well in dense vegetation with lots of shadow, and in grayer areas, but stuck out a mile in other areas.

I saw Misfit running his Hyperstealth (the really, really, really, really, really green one) at Fireball. I was running my ACUs.

They were both as bad as each other in the wrong conditions. In ferns, the Hyperstealth was amazing - it just disappeared. Anything other than ferns and it stuck out a freakin' mile. ACUs worked well in dense vegetation with lots of shadow, and in grayer areas, but stuck out a mile in other areas.

If by "dense foliage" you mean "behind a bush" then I'd beleive that ACU would blend in. But if you put the pattern in front of and green plants, i'd suspect it'd just show up even more. And perhaps you can enlighten me as to what kind of grey stuff there is in a typical woodland?

If by "dense foliage" you mean "behind a bush" then I'd beleive that ACU would blend in. But if you put the pattern in front of and green plants, i'd suspect it'd just show up even more. And perhaps you can enlighten me as to what kind of grey stuff there is in a typical woodland?

It all depends on how much shadow there is. Generally, the darker it is, the better UCP seems to work, and if the shadow is blotchy (i.e. sun shining through a leafy tree canopy) then it works even better.

If your're in an evenly lit area, though, or god forbid an open area, it's terrible.

EXAMPLE, courtesy of Trigger Happy10.

The ACU pattern was meant to attract fewer eyes when the person is moving by using the neutral greys, black attracts the eyes so was deleted, hence no black, and actually it is abit harder to see in night vision devices. Also yes for desert urban terrain. And gravel pits. Shadowy areas are good like in the woods, low sunlight.

The uniforms have small IR patches on them so they can be identified by friendly units especially the AC-130 Spectres flying overhead to avoid friendly fire deaths.

My personal gripe about ACU's are the velcro, it is noisy and wears out in time, plus I think it could use some small holes in the arm pit area for vents like on german flecktarn, make it more breathable, but oh well.

I find them relatively comfortable, sucks they stain easy, lost all 4 sets to red mud back in basic and have since bought 5 more sets which are doing pretty good here in Iraq.

So if you are playing woodland try another uniform, again it does work limitedly but if you want something more effective try something else.

i bought acu for the hell of it but when ever me and my team are playing another team they seem to always wear acu and marpat but we go with cadpat or our guilie suits.

Like for in this one game i was on sniper duty and my spotter said to me did you notice any big rocks in the field and i replied no why well theres a rock about 125 feet away from us and it aint moving so i aimed right for wat apperead to be a rock and it was actually a person then my spotter said the ROCK IS MOVING so i shot him in the neck.

But over all ACU is good if you want to blend in with something greyish or pretend to be a rock that scared the begesus outta me

It all depends on how much shadow there is. Generally, the darker it is, the better UCP seems to work, and if the shadow is blotchy (i.e. sun shining through a leafy tree canopy) then it works even better.

If your're in an evenly lit area, though, or god forbid an open area, it's terrible.

EXAMPLE, courtesy of Trigger Happy10.

That blended pretty well actually...

Yeah I thought so, there were a few points where the first man if he was still would have easily been missed if you were just scanning, like is mostly what your doing on a patrol. It was not the best but it seemed to not be as glaringly ICU...as usual. Don't get me wrong there is plenty of brush assisting the ACU pattern do it's job...but IMO it did what it was designed to do, break up the siloutte and give the wearer a chance to maybe get the drop on his opponent...mind you I am saying if he was completely still..like when I paused it. Otherwise...you see him...but there is movement involved so that is a no brainer there.

Archived