'Nam Spec Ops?

Flakdragon

Yeah there were no Vests as such in Nam, mostly webbing with flack jackets is what most ground forces had.

Specail ops i dont think had flack jackets but they did have webbing with a assorment of pouches.

try looking at this for idea's unles you can afford them

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors/index.asp

there are other types of Webbing on the US Vietnam section

If you're desperate for a vest, grab an AK, a plain uniform and a chicom chest rig and you can (more or less) call it a loadout based on an MACV SOG "Daniel Boone" (IIRC, may have got the name wrong) mission (Deep infiltration into North Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos) where they operated with enemy weapons and without any kind of insignia or idetification. If they were captured or killed all knowlege of thier existance was denied.

I think thats about as close as you'll get.

For an accurate Nam special forces type loadout, you are going to need OG 107's (not just OD BDU's), Tiger Stripe BDUs or black BDU's. Also, you are going to need jungle boots or black leather boots. Some early m16 ammo pouches, canteens and cover, buttpack. Or you could go with a BAR belt. The only chest rigs I have ever heard or read about that were used in vietnam were AK 47 chest rigs and SKS chest rigs. If you need any help, feel free to ask. I have done a great deal of research on equipment and uniforms that were used by Special Forces in Vietnam. I would suggest picking up John Plasters book entitled "SOG"

Hmm, I am kind of discouraged now seeing as there aren't that many good Vietnam guns that the Special Forces would use :(.

I am really interested in the Thompson, I may just find some nice OD BDU's, and a cheap helmet net so I can switch back and forth between World War 2 and Early 'Nam (Although I realise the BDU's in WW2 were different than 'Nam, but I am not that intense of a geardo...yet).

Hmm, I am kind of discouraged now seeing as there aren't that many good Vietnam guns that the Special Forces would use :(

I am really interested in the Thompson, I may just find some nice OD BDU's, and a cheap helmet net so I can switch back and forth between World War 2 and Early 'Nam (Although I realise the BDU's in WW2 were different than 'Nam, but I am not that intense of a geardo...yet).

They didn't use anything similar to BDU's in WWII... completely and totally different type of uniform.

If you need help, I reenact Vietnam (we consider ourselves one of the best units in the US, we've made a couple of vets cry because we're VERY accurate) and used to do WWII, so I know... a lot about the uniforms of both wars.

Depends on the mission. Could be black, OD or tiger BDUs. Webbing and stuff varies on the weapon used.

For example, a mission where they are operating officially they'd be using XM-177s, tiger and the normal webbing as above. For a deep infiltration mission into NV/Cambodia/Laos you're looking at a plain uniform (black or OD), no insignia or ID and an "enemy" weapon (For example, an AK-47). For load bearing stuff, probubly a chicom chest rig (possibly modifed to hold more mags) and plain webbing of the era with pouches big enough for AK mags.

Vest, not likely. 

Y Harness ftw.

H harness is what they used, Y harness was issued after the vietnam war. I have seen pics of soldiers in different units using those cloth magazine bandoleers as well. I found several of the old cloth bandolers at my local surplus shop for as cheap as three dollars. I bought all they had though. They work great for authentically keeping your mags, since the old twenty round mag pouches can go for over forty dollars a pair on ebay, but you will need to figure something out for a dump pouch.

use your standard alice webbing with a chinese chest rig too. thats about as SF as your going to get. oh and carry an ak47s too ;)

you'll be propper "tour of duty" then.

and also the m56 pattern harness is more of a H shape

pete

It wasnt called ALICE until after the 1967 products. Prior to that it bore an LC something designation.

For SOG you need a ruck. No getting around it.

For an accurate Nam special forces type loadout, you are going to need OG 107's (not just OD BDU's), Tiger Stripe BDUs or black BDU's. Also, you are going to need jungle boots or black leather boots. Some early m16 ammo pouches, canteens and cover, buttpack. Or you could go with a BAR belt. The only chest rigs I have ever heard or read about that were used in vietnam were AK 47 chest rigs and SKS chest rigs. If you need any help, feel free to ask. I have done a great deal of research on equipment and uniforms that were used by Special Forces in Vietnam. I would suggest picking up John Plasters book entitled "SOG"

SF in Nam did a lot of work. I wouldnt suggest Black, they were harldy ever used as black doesnt occur naturally. The boots are the old issue ones with the OD on the side. Your rig should be a simple Y Harness with ALICE pouches everywhere, a buttpack, utilites and such. Get an old style MIL light with red filter, compass pouch can be mounted up there. A boonie is more appropriate than a helmet obviously. Tiger stripes are the best choice, but the old issued OD camo is next best. If you want some other items of Research try searching for info on the LRRP units and First Force Recon. Those guys did the brunt of the SOF work in Nam, SF were and are still primarily "political soldiers" they did more work with indigiounos personnel and training up on the Vietnamese soldiers and the locals, it was rare that they engaged in traditional combat or did work that the LRRP units and Force Recon did.

Actually Blarney, your flat out wrong. Black was used a lot in the SF community during Vietnam. Many indig. forces attached to Special Forces teams or MIKE Forces used black, because, their enemy used black "pajama's", including the VC, NVA, and Khmer Rogue. Also, according to John Plaster (who wrote the book SOG) many SOG teams, including SOG Team Montana used OG 107 BDU's dyed black when they went on operations.

It wasnt called ALICE until after the 1967 products. Prior to that it bore an LC something designation.

For SOG you need a ruck. No getting around it.

LC1 wasn't it? or just LBE

yeah a small ruck would be about spot on too.

tigers if you can get em also.

pete

Archived