Spies and Mercs (stealth action airsoft)

Curmudgeon5462

Seeing the documentary again it feels like a bunch of guys are just having a bar room brawl....totally unorganised and as soon as a spy leaps on him its looks like a bunch of uncivilised brutes are trying to kill eachother. Why not have the Spy grab the merc splinter cell style, or at least tap him....that ay it is now it looks really dumb.

Yeah, I think I agree, it doesn't look at all stealthy, or anything like the highly professional special operators you see in games like Splinter Cell. You think you'd see Sam Fisher rugby tackle his opponent? No, I think not.

you want airsoft, play airsoft. You want to manhandle your friends in the dark, do that instead.

edit: Yes, I called it a rugby tackle. I'm British, I play rugby, that's how you tackle people.

Seeing the documentary again it feels like a bunch of guys are just having a bar room brawl....totally unorganised and as soon as a spy leaps on him its looks like a bunch of uncivilised brutes are trying to kill eachother. Why not have the Spy grab the merc splinter cell style, or at least tap him....that way it is now it looks really dumb.

It seems really impossible, i mean having a weighted backpack, wtf is that going to do, it seems well inspired but very difficult to pull off. I guarantee you there is little or no way to sneak up on someone that well. Hence the reason it was put in a video game which = fake. Each to their own.

Yo, thought id clarify the game a little more, there seems to be some misunderstanding going on.

Though it isnt airsoft in skirmish form, mercs use airsoft guns to kill the spies, also the wrestling you saw in the video goes on very little, mostly its spies either sneak up on mercs and stealth kill them, or mercs find and shoot the spies before being killed.

About the difficulty as a spie, if one merc is by himself, after a little practice, the spies will almost always take him out. When we play its about an even match. Spies will need practice for a few games b4 they get good, but its still fun while your learning.

Guys i have nothing to gain by spreading the word about this other than just giving people something to have lots of fun with, I hope you will try it cause if you do, I know you will like it. Trust me.

Ok, first the "wrestling" is just if a spy attacks a merc and gets denied a stealth kill, this is not common and I appoligize for its being on the video so often (I had a small amount of fotage to work with) the video will be updated with a better look at how the game really tends to play out as of this weekend.

Now, heres the game in a nutshell (print the rules off the homepage for specifics at www.spiesandmercs.com).

There are 2 sides, mercs and spies and it is played at night. There should be an objective located in a barn, or abandoned building that your allowed to play in. Mercs have handicaps to balance the fact that they have guns. Spies are supposed to capture the objective(s) within a set time limit. Mercs defend the objective which is inside a cluttered perimiter to keep them from camping it. If a spy is shot, they go to a spawn point and then come back into the game. The mercs "soul" is on thier back and a spy pulls this off to kill a merc, knowing when your dead is usually not a problem for mercs, as the spy usually throws thier soul in front of them after they are dead and also spies usually say "your dead" after killing them.

This should give you a basic layout for the game and like I said use the rule set off the sites mainpage to get the specifics correct.

The documentary explains the whole thing pretty well, but has been criticised for its so called wrestling, but this rarely happens in game, mostly spies sneak up behind mercs and kill them without the merc knowing it until its too late. Remember though, the spy learning curve is steaper than the mercs, so be prepared to lose the first few matches.

Thanks for your support/feedback both negative and positive. The site will be updated this weekend like I said, and should better depict the game (thanks to the anti wrestling feedback) You guys should try it out though, It really is loads of fun.

The idea/concept is good, but the way you've chosen to execute it is less so. I certainly agree with others about the full contact thing. My thoughts on a simmilar game type:

Spys can use small weapons eg GBB/AEP Pistols, MP5K, MP7, things like that. They can also use rubber knife/bang kills.

Merc can use anything they want, recommend full-size rifles/SMGs.

Spys can respawn, Mercs stay dead till the end of the round. Mercs start off 2:1 up or something.

The merc handicaps are a good idea. Perhaps include all their gear in the minimum weight (eg, weapon, flashlights, vest, mags etc).

Soul thing is a nice touch, but perhaps have it as the team ID. Mercs wear "souls" (I assume they're glowtubes) Spys have none.

Just a few ideas.

hey, i really think the game is a great idea. but again the contact thing may be a problem.

i think if the spies get close enough to TAP a merc on the back of the head- then the merc shud just let him take the "soul", if it were in real life and a spy was close enough to touch the merc, he could easily kill the merc. i get the impression that the game should rely on stealth and speed, so maybe if the spy gets close enough (again to the point where he could touch the merc) the merc should not resist/ fight the spy.

EDIT: forgot to add- i really want to try some version of the game :D

Thanks for your interest, About the spies using guns thing, the first "prototype" of the game let spies use guns, but they had to shoot a merc in a small target on thier back to kill them, however anymore the mercs wouldn't stand a half a chance if the spies could use guns, thus the soul.

While you could certainly use the minimum contact rule, I believe you will find that its better just to play and say "try not to kill anyone for real" and it should keep people from getting drop kicked out of second story windows into barbed wire fences. Although the wrestling looks dangerous, I assure you its quite safe when common sense is used by the 2 sides, weve never been injured beyond minor cuts and bruises, and even that is a rarity.

Have fun, and thanks again for your support

Check back at the site (spiesandmercs.com) this weekend for the documentary with more stealth action footage, and less wrestling. Also we should have a guestbook and overall more content, so if you weren't interested b4, you should go back to the site on Saturday or Sunday and see what your input has done for us.

Shouldn't the game be fine tuned to fit that there is no wrestling, just having the possibility feels kind of wrong?

Maybe have the spies be able to pull off the soul easier by taping it to the Merc's backpack and tape is usually easy to pull. This make stealth grabs as they should be, quick, deadly, stealthy. That also makes a Merc's lifespan lower though, so have a respawn for Mercs, but only 2-3 before it is used up.

This eliminates most of the wrestling if the spies are good enough, and that makes the job of the spies easier, balanced out by the Mercs more respawns, possibly lighten the load on their pack to make them more agile to counter the quick spies?

Archived