Tightbores...

UMGuy

I have come across a couple of questions about tightbores.

1. Do tightbores increase accuracy, range, fps, anything if it is the only upgrade in the gun?

2. Will this one work?

3. If not, what other upgrades should I get to increase accuracy, range, fps, etc. I would prefer to keep it stock but if other parts are needed I will buy them.

I do not want to upgrade it too much, so please if upgrades are suggested, keep at a minium thought level. Thanks.

The main factors affecting accuracy and range are your barrel and hop-up. A gun with a well setup hop-up and tightbore will be able to accurately outshoot a gun with just a higher FPS, which is why most people concentrate on upgrading these first rather than just whacking m100+ springs in.

I've never seen the Star 6.05 tightbores, but it is easy to go down to a 6.04 without any jamming issues. Many prefer 6.03 and run them without any problems. 6.01 is available but seems hardly ever recommended. Really is cutting it fine when you get down to that sort of size.

Edit - And yes. That one will work if your gun if your gun is a G3SAS. Some people like to run a longer tightbore (sticking out the end of the outer barrel) and simply cover it with a supressor. But this isn't to everyones tastes. Especially if you're trying to keep the gun short and compact for CQB.

No, I am not running the G3 SAS, but they have the same barrel length. What is the longest I can get the tightbore, with out having it wobble at the end of the gun? And a suppressor is not a good option because the G&G UMG onlyy takes one type which I have read is not very good.

The main factors affecting accuracy and range are your barrel and hop-up.

Hang on. You're only half right.

Those are the main factors affecting accuracy, not power. A tightbore will give a 4-5 fps boost in power but nothing dramatic. The hop-up will do nothing at all for power.

Accuracy, power and, together, effective range, are all linked. As you say, there's no point in having a powerful gun if the BBs spray all over the place. Also, at 20m an inaccurate gun might still be hitting the target a few inches away from the point of aim but, if you increase the power, out at 50m it'll be miles off target.

To the original poster I'd say fit a 6.03 barrel made by a reliable manufacturer such as madbull or prometheus.

That way, once you've got the 6.03 in, you know you can upgrade other things later on and never have to worry about fitting another barrel cos you've already fitted "the best".

If you fit a 6.04 and it's "ok" then you upgrade the power of the gun and find that inaccuracy becomes a problem then you're left with the dilemma of whether to buy yet another barrel.

If you've got a decent 6.03 fitted and your gun has poor accuracy then you know you most likely have some other problem such as a poor hop-up, air leak or wobbly gun shell.

I would definately think about fitting a 6.02 barrel to a sharpshooter gun, if one was easily available, but 6.03 is fine for an SMG. It'll never jam so long as you use half-decent BBs.

So if 0.01 of a mm makes no difference then how about going for a 6.05 or even leaving the stock TM 6.08 in?

Surely that won't make a big difference either?

Is there some nomogram which defines the relationship between accuracy, price and neccesity?

If you want to do the job on the cheap then sure, go for a 6.05 barrel. If you want to do it properly then spend a bit more and go for a 6.03.

I bought an M16 with a 6.04 barrel fitted. I didn't know at the time (and neither did the seller) so I ordered a Prometheus 6.03. The difference between the 6.04 and the 6.03 was stunning.

Having said that, the other POV is that for a gun like a UMG, is there any point in fitting a tight-bore at all???

Having said that, the other POV is that for a gun like a UMG, is there any point in fitting a tight-bore at all???

I was kind of looking for someone to answer that. I use it for woodland mostly.

Do Promothesis barrels require anything other than the barrel itself? And if so what?

I can assure you it does. With a 6.04 barrel in a 1j gun I could get chest shots at 30m. With a 6.03 barrel in the same gun I can put BBs within an inch of each other all day.

Works for me. ;)

Having said that, I wouldn't really consider upgrading the accuracy of a short barreled SMG at all. Instead I'd spend the money on suitable gearbox upgrades and use it with a stock barrel.

After all, it's not really supposed to be a sniper rifle is it?

IMO, the way barrels work is that when the BB is first fired it might be twisting and rolling as it travels down the barrel. If the barrel is long enough then this rolling will reduce before the BB exits and the BB will fly straighter.

If you fit the same gun with a variety of barrels you can see the accuracy change. An MP5k barrel won't be so accurate. A G36 barrel will be more accurate and an M16 barrel will be even more accurate.

Importantly, however, there's a law of diminishing returns at work here. The difference between an MP5k barrel and a G36 barrel is pretty big but the difference between the G36 barrel and the M16 barrel are much less.

It would seem that (at 1J at least) the BB wobbles around inside the barrel for about 6" and then settles down. As a result, so long as your barrel is longer than 6" you have a pretty accurate gun.

I'm not saying any of the above is a hard and fast rule, but it's just the results of my experiences. :-)

Power probably affects it some. I have a stock G&P barrel in my m4, and ill tell you its pretty darned accurate. And really, are shots within an inch of each other nessessary anyway? You need shots that will hit. I think 6.03 barrels are more of a thing to have for the sake of having, not nessessary because you need one to be accurate. a 6.04 gets the job done fine. Never the less, I have a prometheus 6.03 :P

I think 6.03 barrels are more of a thing to have for the sake of having, not nessessary because you need one to be accurate.

Absolutely. Goes back to what I said in my first post: If you buy a 6.03 to start with it gives you the peace-of-mind that your barrel isn't the cause of any other accuracy problems which crop up if you tweak the gun.

You can just say to yourself "Well, that's finished with now. It's as good as it gets."

That feeling is worth the money IMO.

Airsoft atlanta has the barrel i think.  Im not sure if they have the size for a UMG tho.  Measure it, and buy one close to it it size, if not exact.  Im not sure about the bucking tho.  Dont be scared to order from hong kong if you cant find it.  The shipping for my barrel and stuff was 16$, and it came in 4 days.

I think I am going to go with that.

With a 6.04 I will not really care that I have not gone to the end of the earth, considering most of the people I play with, if they have an aeg, have them stock. I think I will be second to do some upgrades. Thanks for all the help. if someone has any else to say go ahead and say it, or if I come acros any more questions I will post them here.

Hang on. You're only half right.

Those are the main factors affecting accuracy, not power. A tightbore will give a 4-5 fps boost in power but nothing dramatic. The hop-up will do nothing at all for power.

Accuracy, power and, together, effective range, are all linked.

<snip>

Sorry, yes you are correct. I keep forgetting to put that word "effective" before range :D

I didn't say the hop-up affected power though, i said it affected range, which it does. I've found lower FPS guns with a well setup hop to shoot far more accurately (And thus generally further) than more powerfull guns with poorly setup hop, that's all i was trying to illustrate.

Archived