I just bought Counter Strike: Source.....

Victory

Same way with me and Day of Defeat Source, except it usually just spans over a few days. One day I'll rape everything in sight, the next day I can't hit anything. This pattern continues to this day.

I have to disagree - the Hit reg in DODS is buggered to hell and back - and the problem is only made worse by the horrendously random firecones on the guns - I once hit someone with 8 shots of the Garand in the chest and NOT ONE SINGLE BIT OF DAMAGE WAS DEALT.

Yes, the firecones are annoying, but the hit detection has been fixed. I like DODS much more than CSS, but I have to agree on the fluctuating skill level. My skill varies loads depending on the room lighting, tiredness, sweat level on hands, whether one ###### is larger than the other, or just worrying over the meaning of life. It really sucks though :P

My advice in CSS, always buy kevlar before guns, never use the glock (CS has made me hate glocks to this day), M4 is cool, and always choose the 1337 crew. ;)

Tactics deppends on how good the people you are playing are, and what weapons they and you have.

If you againast good players, then an ak/deagle are good, remembering to not go crazy signle shoots for the head work well, though if there moving aim for the chest.

If your up against normall players using guns like m4's/mp5's etc who are likaly to side step,crotch, runaround, then you want something that can be move and shoot easily, guns like the M4, sig552, deffender and stry aug are good, just do 3-4 round bursts to the upper body/head.

Just go for what tactics you like best, I used to (if up agianst one player), croutch and do single shoots for the head, this works well as the enemy normall shoots over you head, and if there not good will try and bring the weapon down aginast recoil.

Other tactics which can work is using a m4 and side stepping, if your enemy has an AK, it will be hard for him to hit the moving target, and you can still do burst to the head, going for a lucky head shot.

Close range or mid range with cover a pump action shoot gun can be devastating, though a good back up is vital for mid/long range.

If your ct I find buying a vest then axtra ammo (must do it this way round) is a good bet, as your standard gun is good, and means you will have armour for the next round and can buy a m4, meaning your enemy (if you won) will have smg's and no amour.

The above may not work for you, but if you use common sense like using your map/listening for sounds/working with your team/using nades and using the right gun for the right situation your do well.

Tips:

Adjust your graphics so you get the most fps with the most playable graphics, because of the way the recoil works in source, the recoil resets faster with higher fps.

Dont go straight for the awp or snipers. Start with a sub or pistol and work on where your aiming (usually shooting infront and sweep back over them).

When using rifles for distance just click the mouse for every shot rather than holding it down.

Or you could do what seemingly most source players do and set ur rates to something ###### and spray.

Cheers,

Smash Joehanson

Adding the supressor reduces damage - not too much, but enough to annoy you

Example -

Camping at A on dust2, looking over short a, shoot a terrorist in the head with a supressor - no kill, Without - Kill.

Learning to aim early in CSS is pretty important, getting into good habits and stuff. AWM - I personally hate it, I cant stand using it, it reduces your moving pace to a snail, and who wants to run around with a deagle?

Learn to manage your money! Its quite a fundamental skill, try (this will happen over time anyway) to remember the prices of guns and different combinations.

Buying with numbers NOT your mouse saves a great amount of time, get practising, get learning - coupled with the tip above, buying guns should be very simple for you.

Shooting while running with the rifles is pretty much pointless:

move, pause, shoot off a bullet, get moving again.

Practise this sequence

Learn to aim for the head, no matter what people say, it works if you are good at it.

Sniping in most maps is quite pointless, because there is never THAT great a spot which you cant be taken out with a rifle quite easily, it can be very effective though, just make sure you get a good quality mouse that wont go haywire even when you are still.

Should be top rankin in no time

Dom

Wow, so much information! :D

You know what's really sad...my computer goes soo slow, to where the only thing I can do, is buy a vest, a M249 and ammunition...and stand there...where I started...and hope I see someone...and if I do, I just blast away, haha!

Actually quite fun, it makes me wonder what the other people are thinking. :P

So yeah, if you see a guy just standing there with a M249 blasting away...that's me.

-Vic dodgysy3.gif

Yes, the firecones are annoying, but the hit detection has been fixed.  I like DODS much more than CSS, but I have to agree on the fluctuating skill level.  My skill varies loads depending on the room lighting, tiredness, sweat level on hands, whether one ###### is larger than the other, or just worrying over the meaning of life.  It really sucks though :P

My advice in CSS, always buy kevlar before guns, never use the glock (CS has made me hate glocks to this day), M4 is cool, and always choose the 1337 crew. ;)

Got to disagree with the glock thing - although you are right - KEVLAR ABOVE ALL THINGS.

I can rape easily with the glock - aim for head and strafe.

Also learn to buy fast, the first few seconds of a game can be important in a map like de_dust. As a role of thumb you should have got everything before spawn freeze runs out. Use the numbers and remember what they buy that way it's a case of just typing in fast, rather than using the mouse.

If you had a good kit selection (and died) and have good amount of money just press F2 to buy what you last had.

Also I can't believe I haven’t said this yet. Get the cross hair you like. Go to your options, go to controls, then go advanced, then click "enable developers console" (and maybe fast weapon change as it can be helpful sometimes).

OK, now press the weird looking button which is just left of the "1" or "!" key (also just above tab).

This will open up the developers console which you will use a lot more of as you play the game more.

Now type in cl_crosshairscale

And type in a scale you want. I use a 2300 (I also have it as dynamic, it should be as standard, if not it will need changing in the developers console).

A high number...say 9999999 will give a very small crosshair.

A number like 1800 should give a fairly large one.

The smaller ones are better for getting head shots, but can be harder to see, thats why I find 2300 to be the perfect balance. Also get the colour right, I find green works well with most maps.

While I'm talking about settings get you scroll speed quick enough so you can respond, but precise enough for tricky shoots, with my mouse 5.1 works best, though some mice need a much slower speed.

Archived