1911 Duel

Tokyo Marui M1911A1, Wei Tech M1911A1, KWC Colt Match, Magnatech M1911A1.

firstimageft7.jpg

This image is probably the best for the actual colors of these airsoft guns.

Within the last few months, there has become a plethora of good and cheap 1911s available (excluding the 2011 based 5.1 series from Tokyo Marui) I was able to get my grubby hands onto most of them at the same time (except a KSC M1911A1 and a Western Arms M1911A1) and so I took my chance to delve into them. I will refer to the Magnatech as 'WA' from here-on, the KWC as “KWC”, and so forth. This brief is unfortunately not based on skirmishing with any of these GBB, as none of them are mine, and ideally it would require some months for a true report, which would include things like wear, breakages, faults etc.

This comparison will not cover how cutesy packaged that the XYZ brand 1911 was or what kind of Hello Kitty toys it came with.

Standards

AIM .25 bbs and propane were used. The target range was just over 7m. Millimetres and grams are used for weights.

Realism and subjective impressions on other bits.

The WA is the only one here that replicates the real 'de-cocking' of a M1911. (Hold the hammer, gently squeeze the trigger, gently let the hammer down, etc) It is also the only one that looks 'real' from the rear in terms of trying to duplicate the firing pin in the slide (appearance of), and the “Browning Action” that the chamber would make in firing.

The KWC is 'real' in terms of the spring plunger (that pushes on the slide stop from the grip housing)... it WILL come out if you mess it (slide removal) up. Likewise, the recoil spring housing at the front of the slide, below the barrel - IF KWC had not messed that up by making the spring plunger housing a bit too tight. The bushing in this instance is actually required. On the WE. WA and TM models, the bushing is solely there for looks.

kwcsliderailetcky7.th.jpg

KWC slide. Note also the rails... or lack of, in comparison.

tmslideinternaltq4.th.jpg

Under the TM slide.

kwcslideundergb3.th.jpg

Under the KWC

weslideunderlm4.th.jpg

Under the WE slide.

All four of them require that the bushing is removed, the plunger housing removed, and the barrel unit is pulled through from the front of the slide (bar the KWC). The big difference (visually) at this point is the block that is the KWC chamber-cum-hop unit. It is a black brick and prevents the barrel-unit from getting out of the slide.

The thumb safety of all three M1911A1s feels good. The KWC feels 'rough' in movement. The KWC has a two-sided target-style thumb safety. The safety can be engaged when the hammer is not cocked too. Good from a safety perspective, bad from a realism view. The grip safety of the KWC is lighter in 'pull' than the other three, I suspect more in line with it's “target shooting' intentions.

The trigger of the KWC is awful - just no feel at all. It is like you are trying to heave it back, and suddenly it goes. The TM is smooth – about a millimetre of movement, and you can just feel it change, and then the trigger goes down. but if you release the trigger BEFORE you actually fire, it feels like the sear? (something else?) does not move back into it's original place. This feeling is also present on the TM 5.1 too, so it is something to do with what TM does with their (trigger/ sear/ hammer/ 3-prong spring) assembly. The WA is good, in that when you stop squeezing with your finger, the trigger moves back into position, so you have to start the whole 'squeeze' process again to fire. There is almost 2mm of trigger movement, and you can feel the trigger motion get 'tighter' the further back it is moved. WE has duplicated the TM trigger 'feel', just the pull feels lighter though. Surprising. I still prefer my KSC M945's trigger pull though.

KWC has a skeleton hammer, which feels awful to pull back – there is no 'half-cock'... “all or nothing, that's what it is” to quote a certain 1980's 'musical' duo. Well, actually that is not true, but unless you pull the hammer back 45 degrees and release it, you just won't know it has passed a 'catch point', unless you are being deliberate and consciously 'feel' for the catch. Interestingly with the KWC model, if you fire it with no magazine inserted, you cannot re-insert a magazine, cock the hammer and blast away – it just will not fire unless you rack the entire slide. This 'safety'? is also present on the WE. The WA and TM you can thumb back the hammer and blaze away immediately. I don't know what is different about the internals to be able to see why as I have not gone inside the frames.

Check the metal of the WA hammer. Not nice looking at all.

When it comes to the hammer itself, as well as the shape of the grip safety, I admit that I do not know which of the three 1911A1s are closest in terms of replicating the original shape and appearance.

The outer barrels on the WE, KWC and WA are metal, the TM is plastic. But the KWC, WA and TM barrels/chambers look better... it is probably just me, but I prefer the black barrel rather than chrome with the 1911. The barrel and chamber of the WA is a two-piece affair, allowing all sorts of extras and add ons (if they are available at the time). The chamber is plastic.

The markings... who really cares?

Well, the one with the nicest markings are the TM. WA has them present all over, just that they are shallower than KSC Glock (tw) markings... they appear as though they are scratched in with a compass point (albeit rather precisely). I don't know which of the two manufacturers is most accurate with the markings, considering both them have done them well before.

KWC has some sort of serial number engraved on the left side of the dust-cover, otherwise nothing.

The WE is an 'open book' for you. I have commented that perhaps it would be feasible to do your team logo (or whatever) on one side of the frame/slide , and some silly words/description on the other side. I would recommend Laser etching/engraving rather than a straight out engraver.

watm4zy4.th.jpg watm3le4.th.jpg watm1xf5.th.jpg

TM and WA markings.

shoddyhammerod8.th.jpg

The casting of the hammer. The slide would fail first I though, I reckon.

tmtriggerslideleftzo8.th.jpg

Some more nice clear TM markings, but note the little hex-screw – this I think is in relation to the metal inner chassis – holding it to the exterior frame.

So, where do I aim?

The sights of the KWC are the best (for me) at this time.

Why? Because (and I hate to say it) they are target ones, and the front post has a white dot, rather than the pure combat sights of the WE, TM and WA models. I do advise painting some sort of contrasting paint onto the 'pure' 1911A1 front sight posts. Novaks would look great, but would also not be good at the same time.

The WA 1911 has horizontal 'anti-glare' or 'contrast' style grooves on it's front sight post. As an aside, and without having a manual here, it seems as though the TM rear sight is not molded into the frame.. but appears to be a dove tail slot/groove.

tmsightsft7.th.jpg

This looks the pretty much the same - WE or TM.

watm2dn3.th.jpg

See?

tmsliderearsightez6.th.jpg

TM rear sight

kwcsightwf4.th.jpg

KWC rear sight. I would personally add some white markings to the rear sight too.

Some weights and dimensions.

1911figuresix7.jpg

The information with the weights can be taken with a bit of leeway/weight difference there, as I have a really bad set of scales. I did weigh the items a number of times, and tried to look which point was the most consistent. The length is also a 'close enough thing' as I only had a tape measure. Calipers were used for the other measurements, so they will be fine within a mm.

The M945 was included because it is something that I have had and used for some time, and also allows some form of familiar 'level' that the 4 M1911s can be tested (to degree) against.

3rdex8.th.jpg 2ndyn7.th.jpg 1stos2.th.jpg 4thhz6.th.jpg

The hop-up units from WE and TM. This is the 5.1 unit.

5thdf8.th.jpg

This is the WE barrel unit in the 5.1 slide. While it will sort of work, just don't, okay?

tmslideonweri1.th.jpg

The TM slide on the WE frame.

weslideontmen2.th.jpg

The WE slide on the TM frame.

tmslidefinishri3.th.jpg wegenerallynotfinishedti1.th.jpg

weandtmgripandhammerch5.th.jpg

Some subtle differences there. The prong used by TM to hold the recoil guide into place, the shape of the hammer, the shape of the grip safety, A pin or two. There is also a difference in frames/slides slightly as well. The WE is on the left.

Targets/grouping.

This was probably not a good thing to do after my 4th cup of Moccona coffee on a Sunday morning. But, it certainly indicates what is possible.

The target range was 7.1m and indoors.

th_WE1911.jpgth_TM1911.jpgth_KWC1911.jpg wa1911fd1.th.jpg

Well, well, well, Looky here. Interesting results.

Note: the KWC was not fired with silencer at this time. The WA was also fired at a different time.

Can you guess what this could be?

stacked51_1911.jpg

Yep, that is right, the ###### child of the WE and TM 5.1. The slide fits and runs beautifully. Sad to say, the WE slide does not seem to work on the 5.1 frame. Weird that. Probably something minor sticking. I would rather expect that the 4.3 slide would fit on this too. Guess that the parts range just got expanded as well. :)

Magazines- capacity and economy.

The KWC is the king for economy weirdly enough. It has a 13round capacity, the TM has a 25rd capacity, the WA has a 20rd capacity and the WE only holds 15rds.

The KWC fired (from what I could feel) 30 full power shots, then 5 lower (and lower) powered shots. You can do the math. (I hope)

The WE M1911A1 is second, with 1 magazine able to pump out 28rds (the 29th was really slow, and 30th.. nope.)

The TM - it fired 26rds.

The Magnatech fired 25rds, with the 25th being quite a nice 'floater'.

Well, the WE magazine is a bit wider (measurements to appear). This also means that you cannot swap the magazines (although mag valves could be Ok) from the TM to the WE and vice-versa. Sorry folks.

The WE Magazine is also a single stacker with a very nice feature too (for filling bbs) [insert picture later]. Gosh that is SO easy to load... even by hand. And considering that the WE 1911 comes with two magazines, the WE is better in terms of magazine capacity/reloads.

Magazines. (please note that the WA was acquired last and late)

th_magtop.jpg

The tops. KWC on the right, WE in the middle, TM on the left.

th_magfront.jpg

This is the first indicator of something different. Check the middle WE mag. The wee hole is a very nice quick-loader hole. Holds only 15 rounds, but is very nice. If you look along the spring, you will see a small notch for the bb-follower to catch into. Similar to KSC. Handy.

TM has stuck with their 'you must load the BBs in this EXACT order or it will jam' BB stacking system. I think it would have been far for them to have stuck with loading only 15rds, 20 at the most. The extra space could have then been used for gas (if 15 rounds).

th_Magside.jpg

This image gave me some phear... as there was a momentary thought that the WE mag was based on the WA Magna system, but the picture below shows that it was not. TM based here.

th_magend.jpg endwavb9.th.jpg

Magazines are not interchangeable. Some magazine parts probably will be though.

th_magbase.jpg

The TM and KWC mags are annoying to fill - lots of gas spill until it is fill. You will need a few attempts. WE, on the other hand, has it seemed utilised the delightful KJW fill mags (first seen AFAIK on the KJW Mk1). Delightful and quiet and NO SPILL!

th_MVI_2482.jpg

No silencer

th_MVI_2483.jpg

Delta force silencer

th_MVI_2484.jpg

King arms silencer.

These small AVIs really only show that the KWC is not bothered with silencers when cycling. The noise of the 'pop' upon firing IS different with the silencers, more with the larger than smaller, but is only noticeable when out in the bush/field, and not inside, in a small room, enclosed, with the doors shut, firing propane. Just thinking about it, that does not sound too healthy does it? Conclusion, really only put one on if you want to for the field, don't bother for CQC.. Other conclusion, I suck trying to do silly stuff for the internet.

Power figures

Retailers often lie about these, or use them in really warm conditions, or use light-weight bbs.

The conditions for me testing here were indoors, and 15deg at floor level.. a foot below my firing height. Multiple shots were used, but I was bad and didn't keep my figures, sorry.

TM – 287.2

KWC – 308.3

WE – 288.1

WA – 294.8

Oh hang on a second, remember what I wrote up top? That I was using .25 weight BBs.

Happier with the power of your wee gbb now?

Caveat emptor though, as with that power, slide wear will come. Oh yes, fear the power of the force (of friction). I have noted on the two Magnatech's (that I have seen) thus far, that the slide stop notch is wearing- this example in front of me less than the other that I used (months earlier). I have no idea on what the longevity will be on the KWC, for example, but the killer would be (for me) that there are no spare parts available for it. I would use it with the silencer for occasional use. I have only a very very little bit of wear on my TM 5.1 slide, but I also attribute this to 'combat reloads'?, meaning that I change the magazine when I know it is getting low, and I have a bit of time - allowing the slide to catch infrequently.

wacloseuphopbo4.th.jpg strippedmo8.th.jpg strikerareauz4.th.jpg 1911goodnessva1.th.jpg

slidestopsue3.th.jpg

The cheapest looking is the WE one. TM has made a multiple part slide-stop. It goes in quite nicely. The KWC one is larger and is hardest to put in, but only because of the slide-stop spring from the frame houseing. The WA slide stop is also made in 3 pieces. Also goes in quite smoothly.

kwcandsilencer2gy3.th.jpg kwcandsilencerqz6.th.jpg kwcandsilencersqw5.th.jpg

I don't think I need to comment here at all. :D

Conclusions

Get any of them. Really. None of them are ######.

KWC Colt National Match.

Good - The threaded barrel (note it is a positive thread), the realism (at times) and the sights, not to mention the gas use and power. The price is not bad ($68US and $13US for extra magazines).

Bad - Lack of apparent hop-up adjustment. Have to undo things to get to the barrel and hop unit. Lack of spare parts - I am unsure if there is some sharing with early Western Arms 1911s. The trigger sequence – even though it is metal... the action is horrible.

TM M1911A1

Good - High capacity magazine for the size. The TM hop-up, the markings (if people need them). The fps consistency was good (even though that doesn't show on the figures). The finish of it. Availability of spare parts... both now and in the future. Good price.

Bad – The gas efficiency is not usual Marui standard. If someone were to full metal their Marui, I would expect that (efficiency) to massively decrease.

WE M1911A1

Good – full metal making it nice and dense for the price. Easier to pull apart than the TM, IMO. Nice magazine fill system for gas, and BBs too. Nice recoil. TM Hop up

Bad – Lack of markings. Lack of spare magazines at this time. (they are available, just not common)

That they are ripping off Marui.

Magnatech M1911A1

Good – Real de-cocking system Good power

Bad – Fixed hop-up. High price of spare magazines. Light-weight. Gas usage.

As I said. No real bad things and each does have it's different appeals.

Get one (or all of them) today.

Copywrite 2006 Wege – Do not repost without my permission please.

Cheers Far East.. interesting to know.

Davedawg.. about the same really.

Not really as comparable as the TM and WE 5.1s... owing to dissimilar magazine design and capacity. but similar. I think I would go the TM for winter though.

I had my first TM mag die last week, which is hopefully not indicative of the future performance of the rest.

I would add that my TM is 300fps on Predator and, now that I have trained a little, the most accurate gun I have ever used. I was easily able to match one of the DA's snipers at a recent event and that's with the ###### sights!

TM have made a real classic.

Davedawg.. about the same really.

Not really as comparable as the TM and WE 5.1s... owing to dissimilar magazine design and capacity.  but similar.  I think I would go the TM for winter though.

Wow. So WE actually made a GBB you can blast away rapidly and without suffering from heavy cooldown? At least, I think that's what's been reported with the TM.

apparently so. Something to do with the gas release.. possibly a fix by valve holes.. or by hammer spring de-tensioned?? Not sure.

This was one from the better of the two releases though.

Yes.. but I know of noone in NZ with the KSC model.. there is a far higher likelyhood of someone have KSC over KWA over here.

For people with areas of high temperature in summer, running on Propane/ET1000 I would definately suggest the WE... purely because of the metal. (unsure about the loading bit longevity.. but I expect that to be replaceable)

The TM for lower temperature environments... or for BB-IPSC style stuff *unless people are going for real cap. loads.

The Magnatech is purely class.. just 200gm toooo light...

The KWC is annoyingly good for the price (I had an update. I found that it cost $50US new..... it is apparently cheaper to buy in the states) and would be good to buy the KWC Colt (standard) purely as parts.. :D

I had my first TM mag die last week, which is hopefully not indicative of the future performance of the rest.

But were you using green gas? As TM's are made to us 134a gas, BUT some apparently can use green gas (as i'm sure most of us know, but for the people who don't ;))

But were you using green gas? As TM's are made to us 134a gas, BUT some apparently can use green gas (as i'm sure most of us know, but for the people who don't ;))

I use predator. 90% of TM's will take green with no problems, certainly all the newer ones.