Advanced Fieldcraft Guide

Eddie182

just wondering...

since there seems to be a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum in regards to airsoft tactics.... why do (the royal) 'we' not write our own? this after all is how all military tactics have always been formed. Learning from our and others mistakes and trying not to repeat then!

As have been mentioned systems such as fire and maneuver whilst sometime effective against small inexperienced gamers normally ends in a stale mate, as does attempts of attrition; whilst death before dishonor suicide charges tend to end in a slow plod back to the re-spawn point.

Come on guys share the wealth we all know we have out there, it can only make the games better.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
what you should do is just read the FM on basic combat skills, and learn from America, we kick everyone's *albatross* in war

the FM on basic combat skills is of great use to know what terrible rigid military based teams are going to do every single time, and anyone with half a brain can kill them, every single time.

• 1 month later...

Prolific is hitting on something with his critizims regarding pellets not being like bullets. Although Eddie's fieldcraft guide is good (Ive served in the TA for 6 years) only certain parts of it would work in the airsofting environment.

For example Prolific is correct in his assesment of how to win at airsoft (or be very successful). Quiet approach with lots of loud firing and noises upon arrival to force confusion. Combined with the movement techniques and silent hand communication provided by the guide, both would work well together. Silent movement, with silent communication followed by a quick, fierce firefight leaving the silent side successful.

Perhaps a manual SHOULD be written for airsofters, perhaps to provide an in depth look into the actual serious side of airsofting. Might also provide some future ammunition against anymore VCRA ammendments etc.

My two cents.

It may have changed but US sections used to be nine men.

Two four man fire teams and an over arching squad leader.

Fire teams are deisgnated alpha and bravo (unlike the uk's charlie and delta)

each fire team conists

1. rifleman with Portable AT

2. SAW

3. Fire team leader with rifle

4. Grenadier wiht rifle and m203.

As i say i was liek that til the late 90s.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a number of years in the cadets and was lucky enough to do some training with RAF regiment , Royal Marines and an SAS troop. Now il say now that the guide above is pretty much what i got handed in the cadets (Air Training Corps (RAF)) but my latest ACP was dated 1980 so wasn't exactly up to date. It is important to stress though that what is posted is relevant even if its out of date as some people suggest. Only certain military tactics will work in airsoft thats obvious theres no air support or artillery or laser guided ###### its simple theres plastic pellets and tactics is all about assessing a situation. You can draw a rough guide up but at the end of the day these tactics aren't set in stone and its up to a units commander to make the final call in the real world and the same applies in airsoft. However people are saying they want something designed more for airsoft well im willing to give that ago and start working on something along those lines i would very much like it if Eddie would co-author it with me as he seems to have a good knowledge basis also if people on this forum have military information if they could send it to me or have experience if they could share it we can try and create something if people want to put together sections for it then please and i will collaborate all of it and stick it together. I think if we work on it together as has been said we can come up with a very good guide.

regards,

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Defintely some good info in there, though personally I'd trim down a lot of the hand signals and looko at writing some of the listed tactics for engagements etc a bit more concisely. Some of the really basic stuff like how to properly apply cam cream, some basics of how to wear webbing and the sorts of stuff people might want to make sure they're carrying on it, stuff along those lines anyway if you catch my drift. Admittedly I'm no SAS Trooper, they only thing they really taught us recruits at RAF Halton with regards to infantry tactics was to spend as much time possible prone and how to move effectively in your 8 man team, which is only really going to apply to skirmishes happening on huge areas. But at the end of the day there's a quite a few big differneces between the kit you need to carry/way you should fight in order to win at airsoft compared to real combat.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Its pointless. You just crawl however you need to to get somewhere without being shot, who cares how its named.

Keep low, move fast!

A lot of that guide is out of date as it is copied pretty much word for word from the soldiers handbook which was printed years ago. I told the OP this and gave him a list of points that needed updating when it was first posted but he never amended it.

Oh well.

Darkchild

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Its pointless. You just crawl however you need to to get somewhere without being shot, who cares how its named.

Keep low, move fast!

A lot of that guide is out of date as it is copied pretty much word for word from the soldiers handbook which was printed years ago. I told the OP this and gave him a list of points that needed updating when it was first posted but he never amended it.

Oh well.

Darkchild

What he said! It really is incredibly out of date, and it was so when written. Partly by design as I just used lots of old notes, training handouts and guide books to write it up. I did intend to do a re write and update everything but to be honest as I don't really get chance to go airsofting anymore (not played since 2006) I've not had the inclanation to do so.

Maybe one day I'll find the time. Or hopefully someone far more knowledgeable will come along and do one. (Looks at Darkchild).

• 4 weeks later...
Dude, im gearing up for war again at the moment, if i survive 2009 i may attempt to write a fieldcraft/tactics guide for airsoft.

But people seem to like this guide so im in no hurry :)

Darkchild

good luck out there mate, I'll be awaiting your safe returns and hopefully your fieldcraft/tactics for airsoft!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived