Advanced Fieldcraft Guide

Eddie182

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading this I thought I'd try some of it out and some of it came in handy!

Was stalking through long grass and was discovered, instead of trying to crawl backwards I done the sausage roll into some bushes where hid for a while, slowly moving through them and managed not to get caught.

So its saved my bacon at least once.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

in that guid it talks about parts of a section as gun group, scout group and rifle group, thats out of date, thats from when we had the L1A1 SLRs and 1 gpmg per section, it was based on bringing the gun to best effect afainst the enemy,

now sections are made up of 2 4 man fire teams both with 3 riflemen and 1lsw.

i dont clame to have vast military experience but im a lance jack in the ACF and we are always tough with fire teams

actually both wrong lsw is now not used in a section as it has no advantage over a rifle other than for use as a sniper rifle the lsw was made to replace the old faithful lmg or bren gun

we now use the minimi as it takes the same round as the rifle and can fire long bursts with out reloading it replaced the need for a gun group in a section so enabling the section to be made up as two fire teams which then split into four 2 man fire teams for an assault or ambush reaction buddy buddy system we called it if i remember right.

Karl (ex royal anglian an signaller) xD

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Darkchild, I thought you said sections were 8? (page 1) I'm confused now lol. huh.gif When I did the Junior Leaders Course four months ago, our sections varied between 8-10, sometimes even more or less than that but we all had rifles because we had dropped LSWs from the course. I expect there's variation between units, producing their own SOPs?

Page 1 was 2006 mate, ive been in 2 wars since then. tactics have changed drastically over the last 3 years or so since the light role war has gotten into full swing and the IED threat has gone through the roof. My comments in 2006 were correct, my comments in 2010 are also correct.

Each unit will develop its own SOPs based on their own experiences these days, but Fire support groups, machine guns at section level and 10-12 man sections are all back in.

It all varies depending on your location and specific job (we were working in 4 man teams when i was out there)

Darkchild

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Gunney65

Being ex British Army myself that was a nice guide, mind you might be nice for someone to put together a Gun Safety guide, to me it doesn't matter if its an airsoft weapon or real steal, the laws for gun safety should be used for both. Hmm.. Perhaps might look into doing this myself, would be good for new players to look at before going to a site.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Nice guide, but the reason that it looks like so many of the guides and pamfs that are around, is that the basic stuff in real maneouver warfare at that level is the same!

Any chance of airsofters writing a customised guide for just airsoft? I'm sure most of the Soldier's Pocket Book and manuals on Fish/Chips could be cut down for our use.

Nice guide, but the reason that it looks like so many of the guides and pamfs that are around, is that the basic stuff in real maneouver warfare at that level is the same!

Any chance of airsofters writing a customised guide for just airsoft? I'm sure most of the Soldier's Pocket Book and manuals on Fish/Chips could be cut down for our use.

Chris Larsen has written a book on small unit tactics for airsoft. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paintball-Airsoft-Battle-Tactics-Christopher/dp/0760330638 He also does a book on light infantry tactics for small units that covers stuff like land nav, planning and exexcution of stuff, hand signals, movement, communication, etc. etc. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Infantry-Tactics-Small-Teams/dp/1418472077/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320674463&sr=1-1-spell

I have never read the former but I have browsed the latter and it's quite handy when it comes to planning something.

• 5 years later...

Archived